Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2
Quote | Reply
A few weeks back I had spoke to a rep at Canyon North America and was told this bike would be about $4,500

However today I saw on their site that it is $5,000 or 10% higher. For some reason at $4,500 i was ready and willing to buy it but at at $5,000 it makes me stop and pause about whether this is worth getting or not. Note, the additional $500 could have gone towards a new powermeter.

Also what else can i get out there for $4.5K? The Felt IA10 looks nice but of course with the Canyon you're getting carbon wheels. I currently own a P2 and would like to upgrade but the additional $500 just makes it somewhat of a harder sell considering I can't ride or see how it looks IRL.
Last edited by: JTNY: Oct 19, 17 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya the CF 7.0 is now $2500...raised that one a bit too from what I originally heard. It also has aluminum aero bars. $400 more and you get the IA 16.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [ou8acracker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
Ya the CF 7.0 is now $2500...raised that one a bit too from what I originally heard. It also has aluminum aero bars. $400 more and you get the IA 16.

I wonder what the differences are if any between the CF 7,8, and 9 frames. Are they all the same but specs w/different components?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SL, SLX, etc is difference in frames

6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 are component differences.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLX is all integrated I believe

CF xx are all same frames with differing components. I have been checking all brands, that CF is still best value for money in my opinion on the lower end. I was going to get a Felt IA 16 but mmm that CF is looking mighty nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

CF xx are all same frames with differing components. I have been checking all brands, that CF is still best value for money in my opinion on the lower end. I was going to get a Felt IA 16 but mmm that CF is looking mighty nice

So basically to go from a CF 7 to CF 8 ($1500 more) you are getting carbon wheels and a ultegra groupset?

I wonder if the front hydration package on the SLX can be used on a standard CF frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:

So basically to go from a CF 7 to CF 8 ($1500 more) you are getting carbon wheels and a ultegra groupset?

I wonder if the front hydration package on the SLX can be used on a standard CF frame?

I checked the specs and yep that is what it looks like. I am surprised they didnt upgrade the aerobars to carbon from aluminum. Mavic wheels + groupset though would be about $1500. Makes sense.

The hydration thing would get in the way of the brakes I would imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure what Canyon USA is thinking when setting their prices. Some models go from just a little bit more than the European prices to WAY more than the europe prices. Taking in consideration current exchange rates AND the fact that European prices include an average of 21% sales tax and USA prices are shown before tax

Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2. Same DT Swiss wheels and components:
Europe price €4499/$5299 (€3554/$4186 before tax. )
US price $4999.
delta: $813 before tax or 19.5% premium

Speedmax CF 8.0. Same Mavic Wheels and components:
Europe price €2999/$3532 (€2369/$2790 before tax)
US price $3999
delta: $1209 or 43% premium

same seems to apply to the rest of their line. With those prices the value proposition is null. Disappointed to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
A few weeks back I had spoke to a rep at Canyon North America and was told this bike would be about $4,500

Yea. I've heard both now. Last time I emailed they they upped the price 500 and pushed back the release like 2 months too. Nice to see the site is finally updated...but that 500 bucks makes me reconsider the value of the CF 8.0
Last edited by: spectrum5825: Oct 20, 17 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was what they told me earlier this week (note: I only asked for pricing on the SLX models). E-mail said pricing subject to change.

We expect to have these models around the end of November:

Speedmax CF 7.0

Speedmax CF 8.0

Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2

Speedmax CF 8.0 WMN

We expect these models around January:

Speedmax CF 8.0 LTD WMN TBD

Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 SL $6500

Speedmax CF SLX 9.0 TBD

Speedmax CF SLX 9.0 SL $9000

Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [jamlo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they've change the models and time lines again? Frustrating that it's a moving target and if you're in the market for a new bike for next season. January is still plenty of time for spring early summer races but when time lines slide as much can you really trust anything being communicated?
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [UpandDown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Do you suppose this has anything to do with tariffs? My conversation with someone at Canyon a few weeks indicated the prices would at or close to what European prices are sans taxes. However these added costs makes the purchase very unappealing.

UpandDown wrote:
not sure what Canyon USA is thinking when setting their prices. Some models go from just a little bit more than the European prices to WAY more than the europe prices. Taking in consideration current exchange rates AND the fact that European prices include an average of 21% sales tax and USA prices are shown before tax

Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2. Same DT Swiss wheels and components:
Europe price €4499/$5299 (€3554/$4186 before tax. )
US price $4999.
delta: $813 before tax or 19.5% premium

Speedmax CF 8.0. Same Mavic Wheels and components:
Europe price €2999/$3532 (€2369/$2790 before tax)
US price $3999
delta: $1209 or 43% premium

same seems to apply to the rest of their line. With those prices the value proposition is null. Disappointed to say the least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$4500 would have been sweet, but up against the IA10, it's a strong contender for me, especially with the wheels.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:

Do you suppose this has anything to do with tariffs? My conversation with someone at Canyon a few weeks indicated the prices would at or close to what European prices are sans taxes. However these added costs makes the purchase very unappealing.

[
[/quote]
Unsure where they are importing from (Germany or Taiwan directly), what county of origin the bikes carries or if they are importing as a complete bike or just as parts. If they are not importing as parts, that's really stupid on their end as the duties is much lower, to non existent, if you do so. Just ask wiggle!

What I feel is that they are charging what the market will bear. And if the market buys at that price then they have done a good job as a business. In Europe they do have direct to consumer competition, in the US not so much. I think that's the main factor
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [UpandDown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^

That's what I think too. If they can match the IA an equivalent on price, and sell, why not?

Then again, a year of undercutting would probably make for an even-more aggressive market entry.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
^^^^

That's what I think too. If they can match the IA an equivalent on price, and sell, why not?

Then again, a year of undercutting would probably make for an even-more aggressive market entry.

The difference is , if i buy an IA from a LBS, I get the full sales/service/support/fitting etc that I don't get from Canyon.

Canyon has the benefit right of market buzz but if they really want to increase sales they need to undercut (price-wise) as opposed to "matching the competition" IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The difference is , if i buy an IA from a LBS, I get the full sales/service/support/fitting etc that I don't get from Canyon.

Exactly...at that price point I can get say an IA or a P3 from my LBS as well, and get it properly fitted and setup by a professional the first time, not to mention a place that I know will take care of my future needs. Not to say I wont end up going the route of the speedmax, since it does include a set of carbon wheels. Most in this price point don't AFAIK.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After waiting for the ultimate cf9, and looking at their prices, I ended up with an émonda. After my lbs discount it was roughly $200 more. Not enough to make me go through the hassle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

I checked the specs and yep that is what it looks like. I am surprised they didnt upgrade the aerobars to carbon from aluminum. Mavic wheels + groupset though would be about $1500. Makes sense.

I know that the 8.0 doesn't include the integrated hydration, and I remember reading an early review that it also did not include the tool box storage. Is that true?...it looks like it has a tab for the lid when you zoom in on the picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [ale_ers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna buy it with a credit card that has 0% foreign transaction fees from an IP address I set to a Europe country, buy a ticket on Westjet, and fly the bike back...

I get a bike and a trip for the cost of the delta
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [ale_ers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ale_ers wrote:
ou8acracker2 wrote:

I know that the 8.0 doesn't include the integrated hydration, and I remember reading an early review that it also did not include the tool box storage. Is that true?...it looks like it has a tab for the lid when you zoom in on the picture.

The CF SLX includes the hydration and the storage. The CF does not. If you open in incognito their website in, for example France. You will see the entire range. That will price it in Euros. If you want pricing in US$ open the english version of the mexican site

Canyon.com/en-fr (France English)
Canyon.com/en-mx (Mexico English)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:
Gonna buy it with a credit card that has 0% foreign transaction fees from an IP address I set to a Europe country, buy a ticket on Westjet, and fly the bike back...

I think you can get your VAT back on that too....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ou8acracker2 wrote:

Or just fly to Mexico...cheaper
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so much cheaper in Mexico...tempted to have my buddy in San Diego figure out a way I can ship to Tijuana and bring it back into the US...
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do all the Speedmaxes include the bracket to mount a water bottle behind the seat? Or is that just on the upper end models?
Quote Reply

Prev Next