Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Wheels for my new Speed Concept 2018
Quote | Reply
So I'm going to order a Speed Concept 2018.
Haven't decided on Ultegra, Durace or eTap......but...
My question is:
I can bundle some new wheels and apparently save some money.
I can add Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Clinchers to the build for $1900 and save hundreds of bucks.
Any thoughts on these wheels, better than Zipps, Heds, etc?
Just want thoughts on these wheels with savings $$ or order different wheels separately but would spend more $$.
Thoughts.....

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Wheels for my new Speed Concept 2018 [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aeolus TLRs are great wheels, I have the 3s, 5s and 7s and run the 7s on the TT bike (of course swapping the rear to disc for a race). Nothing not to love about these wheels, note that due to the very wide external and internal rim width, your typical "23" tire will measure out at something like 26-27mm, so if you want to abide by the Rule of 105 you won't want to go with a "25." Tubeless of course!

I would be a little hesitant about the 9 up front - can you get the same deal on the 7s? It is likely the safer choice.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Wheels for my new Speed Concept 2018 [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome wheels and very durable! I have a pair and they have been great. No complaints at all except for too many stickers on the wheels! I removed all the decals and the wheels are stealthy now and very fast :-)

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should use a disc on the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Wheels for my new Speed Concept 2018 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the 9’s, & that front is pretty deep. Considerable difference compared to a Zipp 808 in windy conditions. Otherwise I love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...alvah_b%5D_P5192100/

Thought this would be appropriate. The Aeolus 90/90 combo was by far the twitchiest wheelset I have ever used. As I said in that thread, I had some rides that were scary as hell.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip it around... You can get a set of HEDs (on sale) or FLOs for around $1,100. Those two pretty much establish the value and performance benchmark. Are the Aeolus wheels $800 better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 7/9's and a super 9.

You wont regret the bontys they are very fast and the 7 front is nice handling. I have flo's too and I prefer the bontys by a mile if you can afford it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I would go for Hed Jet9+ over the Aeolus for a TT/Tri bike. Advantages of the HED's: cheaper, likely faster on the flats, better braking. Main advantage of the Aeolus: lighter weight. In my experience the braking on Aeolus sucks -- not a huge deal on a TT/Tri bike, but still a factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Wheels for my new Speed Concept 2018 [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
In my experience the braking on Aeolus sucks -- not a huge deal on a TT/Tri bike, but still a factor.

I haven't experienced this, either in road use w/ DA brakes and the Bontrager cork pads that come with the wheels, or in TT use with Omega X brakes and the same pads.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Wheels for my new Speed Concept 2018 [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
lanierb wrote:
In my experience the braking on Aeolus sucks -- not a huge deal on a TT/Tri bike, but still a factor.

I haven't experienced this, either in road use w/ DA brakes and the Bontrager cork pads that come with the wheels, or in TT use with Omega X brakes and the same pads.
I've heard others say the same thing and, not that I don't believe you, but I am sort of curious how that's possible. I have two sets of Aeolus's: 3 clinchers and 5 tubulars. Both are 2017 and are basically the same and my experience has been that the braking completely sucks on both, with DA brakes and Omega X brakes (same as you). The cork pads were so bad I had to switch to Black Prince pads, which at least have some braking power. This is all road use. I kind of got used to them over the summer, but then winter came and I switched back to my alloy training wheels and was shocked at how good the braking was in comparison. Let me also add that in general my experience has been that carbon wheels have crap braking, so it's not just Aeolus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not matter what, get some form of electronic shifting: either Di2 or eTap. It will save you hours if not days of your time in the future if you decide to fiddle with your position.

I would not get the 90mm Aeolus wheels. Maybe get a 5/9 combo. I had an Aeolus 7 front at one point and it was quite twitchy in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:
So I'm going to order a Speed Concept 2018.
Haven't decided on Ultegra, Durace or eTap......but...
My question is:
I can bundle some new wheels and apparently save some money.
I can add Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Clinchers to the build for $1900 and save hundreds of bucks.
Any thoughts on these wheels, better than Zipps, Heds, etc?
Just want thoughts on these wheels with savings $$ or order different wheels separately but would spend more $$.
Thoughts.....

x?? I would also not go with a 9 up front. You are better off with a 7 or even 5. $1900 is really too much still. If they are bundling like this they should come down even further. Personally, as long as shops keeping selling the HED JET 6+ for <$1000 and less I really can't recommend anything else unless they are fighting for a TT win by very small margains. Better braking, light, aero, wide, great handling, running low PSI are just a some of the benefits. As far as braking goes Bontrager is one of my least favorite braking experiences from a major carbon maker. If you really want full carbon clinchers my vote is Zipp or Enve for better braking.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put 808 Firecrest front and rear on my 2015 Speed Concept; here in NZ it can be a little tough to control on the front. Otherwise I really like them - the braking performance was great (especially coming back into TaupĹŤ at 60+km/h down the hill). I will say that I absolutely LOVE the bike - the paint started coming off my fork within two or three weeks, and Trek leapt on it.

They had a new fork hand painted to exactly match the decal positions on my frame, and the turnaround was something like 10 days. As for wheels...I think if you can get a good price on Enve then I'd go with them as their crash & durability warranty is so good. Ride them all the time, and get your money's worth.

Shifting wise, my SC came with Ultegra on it and it's been awesome, although I find changing wheels a total ballache due to the way the rear mech is set up. I'd love to have eTap or Di2 on it - probably more the eTap.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts on Bontrager Aeolus 90mm Wheels for my new Speed Concept 2018 [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as an aside, with the "fin" in place on my Speed Concept I find it easier to just remove the chain (Connex) when swapping wheels. It might seem excessive but it really does make things easier on the SC since the fin doesn't give you the "wiggle room" you'd have on a normal bike.
Quote Reply