Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thoughts in reaction to the State of Tri article - Does "triathlon" refer to different sports and cultures?
Quote | Reply
I found the front page article on the State of Tri quite interesting and informative. It left me with the impression that "triathlon" more or less equals "Ironman" - in fact, it repeatedly makes the point that Ironman creates its own ecosystem. Maybe future installments will discuss the Olympic movement and the growth of ITU --perhaps, I suspect from points implicit in the article itself, as an outgrowth of USTS.

I mention ITU because the US is very Ironman-centric, but when I interact with friends in Europe and Latin America who follow or even participate in "triathlon" -- or look at what people trying to grow the sport at the junior level are doing-- the Ironman referent is nowhere to be seen. The main referent is clearly ITU and the recognizable figures are the Brownlees, Gomez, etc. The premium is on speed and not an epic experience. It's almost as if you had two different sports, each with its respective culture.

I'm curious to see what others think.
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts in reaction to the State of Tri article - Does "triathlon" refer to different sports and cultures? [JEI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JEI wrote:
I found the front page article on the State of Tri quite interesting and informative. It left me with the impression that "triathlon" more or less equals "Ironman" - in fact, it repeatedly makes the point that Ironman creates its own ecosystem. Maybe future installments will discuss the Olympic movement and the growth of ITU --perhaps, I suspect from points implicit in the article itself, as an outgrowth of USTS.

I mention ITU because the US is very Ironman-centric, but when I interact with friends in Europe and Latin America who follow or even participate in "triathlon" -- or look at what people trying to grow the sport at the junior level are doing-- the Ironman referent is nowhere to be seen. The main referent is clearly ITU and the recognizable figures are the Brownlees, Gomez, etc. The premium is on speed and not an epic experience. It's almost as if you had two different sports, each with its respective culture.

I'm curious to see what others think.

Two different disciplines, not sports. And yeah, each has a bit of their own culture. Kind of like long track and short track speed skating, or road cycling vs velodrome, or the different disciplines of mtb. Each is aware of their own niche, and peripherally to moderately aware of others.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts in reaction to the State of Tri article - Does "triathlon" refer to different sports and cultures? [JEI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I'll say about the state of triathlon. It's booming in youth development and/or will only be getting better, which is going to increase the awareness of ITU. For most triathletes and especially here on ST, ITU is just not going to get respected. And that's ok, it's just too bad because the different disciplines can really help grow the sport, but being as the US is a very TV driven culture, the only game in town on tv is the IM. And boy what a cute TV package they have with that, as WTC plugs the event so well that they continue to sell out race after race, and yet it's biggest probably international competitor cant even get likely half the participants as what WTC gets in their N. American events (yes they still only have had 2 events). WTC has done one hell of a job to market themselves as "the" event to do to the N. American (especially US) athlete.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts in reaction to the State of Tri article - Does "triathlon" refer to different sports and cultures? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's simply harder for American Triathletes to relate to ITU because 1) Cycling isn't nearly as popular here (an understatement), so draft legal racing is unknown to many 2) There aren't any draft legal races for age groupers. 3) as mentioned, it's not on TV, because Americans are more focused on other professional sports.

If NASCAR, American Football, Basketball & Hockey didn't exist, the USA would dominate in Formula 1, ITU, Triathlon, Running, Cycling, and probably soccer as well.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thoughts in reaction to the State of Tri article - Does "triathlon" refer to different sports and cultures? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll agree with you but then why is there seemingly a lack of respect when it comes to ITU (well I know why, I just think it's sorta bs). That's the thing that I laugh at when I talk to a IM athlete, or someone who doesn't understand it. They'll get on their soap box about it not being "real", and I just kinda laugh my ass off. The lack of understanding makes a lot of people look very ignorant when talking bout ITU. To blame it on not being able to do it or it isn't popular here, makes you as an athlete even more ignorant when you talk as if you know what it's like.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply