Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning
Quote | Reply
This is from another forum with the "latest trend in pro fittings in the pro road peloton"

Written up by Kwalker

The ideal position for putting out power has little to do with drop, reach, inseam length, or knee over pedal spindle, but on the maximal saddle height that one can run that allows full anterior rotation to maintain a neutral lower back position. Basically, look for a back position that mirrors the back squad in weightlifting, the speed skating position, and the blocks position in a track (both running and cycling) start.

This position is essentially limited by saddle height, hip flexibility, posterior chain functionality, and often by saddle choice. In the pro ranks you see riders utilize this position with a lot of different setups, but since Fabian is the example this thread is named after just look at any time he is on the rivet on his road bike and notice that he is fairly far forward on the saddle. He can only get full anterior rotation by running a fairly low saddle height for his height (785 or so) and utilizing the forward padding on his saddle since it lacks any sort of relief or cutout. Unfortunately other riders, such as Contador or Froome, can't accomplish this very well and end up with extremely rounded lower backs. This is often fine for climbing or high cadence riding that stresses the VMO, but it greatly reduces glute recruitment. Boonen is another lack of terrible anterior rotation that has improved with his recent fit changes from the BG Fit program.

I mentioned maximal saddle height, but what I mean is focusing on full rotation first, and then on how much leg extension one can get given their functionality without sacrificing rotation. Its often saddle height not setback that hampers this as most saddles have a decently wide (1cm or so) range where there will not be impingement due to saddle shape, cutout length, or padding density. Its hard to pinpoint height from any sort of formula without seeing the rider on the bike. I'm 6 feet 2 and my seat height has ranged from 79cm to 81cm depending on weight and how much work I do to maintain glute and hip functionality. Jens Voigt is the same height with an 83-84cm seat height, Gesink is in the 82cm range, etc.

Setback comes into play next as it does affect saddle height and rotation often more than people think. Depending on the saddle shape the ischials can "hit" the flare of the saddle more towards the middle and still be supported, which is why the Romin variants are such awesome saddles and the new S-Works Power will likely be as well. Its also why riders can get by with the Arione and Antares decently well. Selle Italia and Prologo have the worst flares in this regard, Bontrager seems to be OK. Generally setback can be within a decently wide range as determined by what kind of riding the rider is doing. For example, my 29er has the seat slightly further back as unweighting the front wheel helps with very technical descending and trail riding.

Hogg talks about pedaling style influencing setback, which is true to a degree, but in most cases riders have extreme pedaling styles just because they adapted to something that is rather inefficient. Generally speaking too much heel drop often indicates a saddle that is too far back or slightly too low, but riders such as Boonen have adapted to this and make it work. Froome is an example of an extreme heel dropper, which is very rare. Thibaut Pinto is as well. Toe down pedalers such as Contador, are often limited by functionality and lose out on torque application and must compensate by increasing rotational velocity to produce the same power. What a rider should strive for is a middle between the two where the ankle joint maintains and applies torque, but does not have to excessively flex to do so. Its not that it reduces power or increases fatigue as Hogg claims, but as a lever it should not be overloaded as it is a rather weak lever due to foot length being small.

Femur length also does not influence setback as Tibia length and the ratio between the two will often determine the overall pedaling circle. Riders with extremely short tibias can get further back and still remain rotated and over the BB simply because their hip angle will be more open. Again Cancellara is a great example but Wiggins is almost the opposite. Geraint Thomas is another good example of both long Femurs and Tibias as is Warren Barguil. The solution in this case, since there really are no standards or guidelines to determine what constitutes what a rider should do, is to monitor hip opening and pelvic rotation across a saddle setback range using the amount of heel drop to determine the knee's path relative to the BB and spindle over the entire pedaling range. Retul calls this "foot forward of crank", but in reality the idea is to not get the rider so far forward that they can't properly apply ankle torque and use their glutes, but not so far back that they rely on either of these factors either.

The result of all these factors that is easily observable on the pro level would be the Giant Alpecin bikes:

The TCR and Defy have extremely slack seat tube angles, which requires most of their riders to run the saddles slammed forward and use a size smaller frame to get it as forward as they should be, which is why you will note that all of those bikes have enough spacers to be the next full size up. On most properly sized frames the saddles would be clamped near the middle of the rails or towards the rear on a normal offset post.

Now check out the pelvic rotation and orientation of Tom Dumolin in the middle photo above or Warren Barguil below:

Edit: Image is very large http://procyclingfanatic.files.wordp...g-barguil1.jpg

Very neutral lower spine with tons of anterior pelvic rotation. You see the same on Adam Hansen's more extreme setup, but also with most of the Etixx and Cannondale team now. Nibali is yet another great example of great anterior rotation with lots of spinal neutrality and stability. The trend in this case is that most riders end up with a similar position over the center of the bike not for handling purposes, but to maintain rotation throughout the entire power band regardless of incline or decline. The rider should simply rotate more or less depending on incline or gradient, which I think is what the OP was getting at with a bit more complex language (not a bad thing, but I'm clarifying for ease of reading).

On a lot of bikes this means a fairly low amount of offset on the seatpost since the standard for a lot of sizes, especially large sizes, is fairly slack seat tube angles. Back in the early 90's before carbon frames and compact geometry a size 58 typically came with a 73.5-74 STA, especially anything Lemond rode. Now a 73 is standard. Furthermore a lot of angles are calculated by the middle of the seat tube, but some seat tubes meet at different places relative to the BB center. Cervelos used to meet towards the front and thus be even more slack. Lastly lots of manufacturers measure offset as center of the saddle cradle to center of the seatpost when its off the bike, but when its on the bike it ends up measuring more from the seat tube angle. The 3T Dorico is a great example as it measures 35mm on my 58cm frame, but 25mm off of the frame just sitting there.

You're seeing a lot more pros with less offset than before due to frame design and most fitting paradigms adopting a variation of this idea as rotating the pelvis forward actually pulls the knee rearward of the pedal spindle and bb, which in some cases can be so drastic that it changes the orientation over the most powerful portion of the pedal stroke. Furthermore, studies now show that the old notion of pedaling the entire rotation or pulling up are extremely inefficient and being a bit forward reduces the chance that the rider utilizes any sort of pulling motion and focuses solely on concentric force application. These studies do not necessarily inform this fitting paradigm, but might indicate why its so successful in practice.

Unfortunately one can only look at examples and attempt to digest this, but in practice too much of a rider's morphology, functionality, flexibility, and proportions will influence how much they can rotate and where this puts them on the bike. I said above that drop and reach do not matter so much in that too much is usually used when a rider is over-rotating, which is common with riders that have weak abdominals but strong erectors, too far forward over the bike in general, or has far above average functionality. Ryder Hesjedal is a great example of the drop being used to solve all of these problems as the only way to not ride with lots of arm weight is to use a ton of drop to allow for more locked out arms to provide stability.

The way to start with all of this is to setup the cleats in a neutral position, set the saddle fairly neutral in terms offset, and lower than normal by about a cm and focus on pedal stroke fluidity with full anterior rotation. What I have found is that seat height being too high will prevent the pelvis from having room to rotate and make the legs feel as if they're pedaling independently of each other like pistons almost. If you get this feeling try lower the saddle 3mm at a time. If it doesn't go away and the top of the stroke begins to feel lumpy, move the saddle forward 5mm. If the lump feeling goes away, then you're closer to being properly rotated over the pedaling axis and not pedaling "behind" the bike as was common in the 80's and 90's and is wasteful as torque is applied too early in the pedal stroke and velocity slows. Certain riders can get away with this, many cannot.

When looking for a feeling of proper anterior rotation try to imagine not only rotating the hips, but pulling the abdominals towards the ground. Think of a back squat where the discs are not compressed and the glutes are used in sync with the quads to drive the body forward. If you are properly over the pedaling axis, which takes some time and generally takes some perceptive abilities you might notice that your seat height is a tad lower than before or than normal. If one simply moves the seat forward they might be reducing seat height slightly, but with normal pelvis proportions you have to think of how much room might be needed to actually rotate onto the IPRs. This is why starting with a lower height than normal is ideal. I personally started 15m lower. From there, once proper orientation and rotation have been established seat height can be slightly raised until it prevents rotation, introduces lateral instability, or reduces pedaling fluidity and the piston feeling comes back. Think of an old locomotive turning over the wheels rather than an engine punching up and down. Punching introduces massive power peaks, but also power troughs rather than a stable application of consistent torque. This is a big reason why you see tired riders often bobbing around when they're dropped on climbs.

Saddle height will take some time to feel out, but once the proper pelvic position is established the rider shouldn't be moving forward and backwards a ton. Next, the drop needs to be established given the amount of pelvic rotation that can be achieved with the rider having a fair amount of room to bend their arms on the tops, hoods, and drops to compensate for terrain differences and riding style. Personally speaking I like a tad less drop than I am capable of so I can pedal hard in my drops for an entire criterium for better brake lever control and to prevent hooking bars. This is why you see a lot of enduro track riders run slightly higher drops with more elbow bend. If I strictly rode on the road I might use a slightly lower position on the hoods with enough room to descend with control or use my drops in certain situations. There is too much drop when a rider closes off the hips under power and/or can't rotate enough to maintain a neutral spine.

Spine neutrality is perhaps the hardest thing to judge. Wiggins rides with a straight spine as does Terpstra, but Boonen does not. Too many factors impact what is considered functional for someone on the internet to establish a guideline, but generally speaking what you need to think of is if you were leaning forward in a chair with good posture and are able to maintain neutral shoulder blade retraction. Reach then comes into play to maintain minimal trapezius extension. Think of pushing the chest out with good posture, but do not force a position that requires excessive effort or ends up putting one too high on the bike. It should feel neutral and natural and can change over time as functionality and posture improve or become worse.

IMO reach and drop can be fudged a CM or even more each way and still be fine, especially for taller riders. Things are often different out on the road and in race situations and sometimes a rider might need a bit more reach for maximal out of the saddle efforts or a bit more drop if they ride at a high tempo and have a lot of pelvic rotation. I advise not trying to set this on the trainer and being too anal about it, but giving it time and moving things in larger increments than you'd think is necessary. For me I tried increasing drop with a -17 110mm stem, increasing reach with a -6 140 and then worked towards comparing a -6 120 with a -6 130. On the trainer the 130 seems a bit "reachy", but on the road its perfect. I could get away with the 120 as well, but the 140 prevents me from retracting my shoulder blades and maintaining my spinal stability when out of the saddle.

So to sum this up:
-Focus on anterior pelvic rotation, which in most fit paradigms requires the saddle to be further forward and usually lower.
-Next focus on spinal neutrality through a range of positions depending on riding style and functionality. Adjust reach and drop in large amounts at first to see how the different parameters effect how you maintain neutrality across the entire range of motion.
-Focus on a fluid pedaling fluidity with both of the above established. Avoid the piston feeling.
-Its better to have more range than too much i.e. less drop and reach. For some with more sensitive backs or different proportions less range i.e. more drop and reach might be better. For taller riders more drop can prevent excessive arm fatigue.
-Focus on constantly maintaining overall neutrality by not needing to shift forward or backwards massively under effort. It should almost feel as if very little weight is on the hands and when riding around one could perform a variety of tasks such as switching out bottles, taking off arm warmers, etc. without needing to shift their weight around on the bars to control the bike.

IMO the rider in the pro ranks that best exhibits all of this is Niki Terpstra. His saddle is low and fairly far forward, good pelvic rotation, great spinal neutrality, smooth pedaling, and he is able to use the entire saddle without massively moving to maintain any sort of position (you don't seem him scooting much, he simply rotates and since his saddle is the right width and flair he has IPR support when towards the front rather than slamming his crotch into the padding). A side benefit is that his position is super aero and he can ride effectively much lower than most riders:

Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for anyone that likes to read it
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [SamYO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
funny, i read this thing twice the first couple of days. its a lot to digest. a thought does come to me when i look at the pictures ..... GD i hate these skinny long-legged professional athletes!!!!

interesting insight on Giant-Alpecin. their frames do look too small to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TL:DR

But I'm interested in the topic.

Can OP summarise the main points in a sentence or two?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos for a nice post. I read it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump for anyone else thats interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curious to know source, other forum this is from?

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The TCR and Defy have extremely slack seat tube angles, which requires most of their riders to run the saddles slammed forward and use a size smaller frame to get it as forward as they should be, which is why you will note that all of those bikes have enough spacers to be the next full size up. On most properly sized frames the saddles would be clamped near the middle of the rails or towards the rear on a normal offset post."

i don't understand the thinking here. the next size up just means less seat post more seat tube. the M has 73°, the ML and L are 72.5°, not a ton of difference. in my experience pro tour team DSs are often old school and just like smaller sizes and longer stems. it's a problem. they don't understand WHY they used to ride longer stems in the 1970s.

also, i don't know that giant alpecin is a fair team to use as an example. other than dumoulin the team is built around sprinters, which means the positions of the bikes favor what happens in the last 5 or 10 miles of each stage or race (which means riding on the rivet). we've seen some pretty wacky positions from these guys (look at our pics of degenkolb's felt before they team switched to giant).

but the back angle, yeah, we've been preaching that for a long time. slowtwitch is an online magazine but it also owns its own fit school and we've always said that a hip angle too obtuse is just as bad as one too acute. i don't know that the tallest saddle position that allows for *** is the term i would use. one could also say that shortest saddle height that allows for ^^^ is also correct. what's true is that the *right* saddle height is correct.

my concern with a nomenclature that says the "tallest" is best is that the risk of a power falloff is greater with a saddle 5mm too tall is much greater than a saddle height 5mm too low, because once the thigh musculature has contracted entirely before you're done pushing the pedal, you have nothing to push with.

all that said, this is a discussion dear to my heart. always welcome. please proceed.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I declare shenanigans.

I do believe that anterior pelvic tilt is important.
However, every given example does not support the argument.

Which of the example photos show an anteriorly rotated pelvis?
In each I see little pelvic rotation and significant lumbar flexion to achieve a low shoulder position.

In the Warren B picture you can't even see his pelvis, so how can a comment about it be made?

Professional road cyclists are not a population with impeccable fits. Many are an atrocity.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jan 23, 16 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested to know qualifications the author has in this area.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
I declare shenanigans.

Agreed.

Another example: Lemond on steep seat tube angles? I don't think so.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I'd be interested to know qualifications the author has in this area.

He's very good at name-dropping!
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is/was a prolific poster on the Wattage Group and used to post quite a bit at WeightWeenies. He's also a member here, http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...gi?username=Kwalker;
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Agreed.

Yup. Having personally measured Lemond's stable of bikes, he's talking out his nether regions.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Quote:
Agreed.

Yup. Having personally measured Lemond's stable of bikes, he's talking out his nether regions.

I think he means that the lemonds are slack and need the saddle further forward
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you measure Lemonds bikes? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe, but his words clearly say he's talking about the seat tube angle (STA), not the saddle's position on the post.

"Back in the early 90's before carbon frames and compact geometry a size 58 typically came with a 73.5-74 STA, especially anything Lemond rode. "

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karsten Walker.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
xtrpickels wrote:
I declare shenanigans.

Agreed.

+1 That article is mostly BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Why did you measure Lemonds bikes? Just curious.

Because I could :)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I took out of the post was:
  • Find a saddle that lets you tilt your pelvis instead of rounding your back
  • Don't stress about exact saddle height, but don't have too high

My sin is definitely rounding my back instead of tilting.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

I think I do too, it is something I have occasionally thought about. I feel like I might need even more reach if I straightened out my back very much, and I'm already sitting on a totally slammed 56 P3C at 5'10"...!! I guess my saddle could go back a bit, but I do tend to prefer a really steep STA.

I kind of feel like I'm activating my glutes less if I rotate my pelvis forward more, like I'm taking that out of the equation even more and putting the work on my quads. I don't know if that matters.

Do I need to do something about this?!

Last edited by: knighty76: Jan 27, 16 2:28
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Professional road cyclists are not a population with impeccable fits. Many are an atrocity.

This is worth dancing to.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Thought Id share this from another forum. Good info on the latest road positioning [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

Hey guys,

Had no idea a very simple and poorly edited post would be re-posted elsewhere. I posted this post originally because there was a lot of sub-par fit info on The Paceline, I felt I could offer some generic arm-chair insight that was somewhat (in my head) logical. I never claimed to be a bike fitter, PT, or anything of the sort. So, sorry that some of you felt the "article" was inadequate. I wrote it, forgot about it, moved on with life, and had no idea others were taking it for more than it was meant to be.

This poster basically summed it up. Don't worry about how a bike looks or what common mantra, ranges, or systems dictate. Focus on achieving a seat position that enables pelvic stability, anterior rotation, and functionality before all else. In many cases this will help a rider do many of the things I described in the post. Lots of riders find that they end up with a saddle position that is further forward because when they rotate their pelvis it pulls the knee back behind the pedal, BB, whatever, more than a rounded lower back that can't rotate.

I am not a bike fitter. I have never claimed to be one. I have struggled with bike fitting issues myself and worked with a number of fitters who are well-respected within their specific area of expertise. Thanks for slamming me though, it was really necessary. Recently I have worked with Curtis Cramblett, the fit tech at Garmin-Cannondale to dial in my own fit. I've worked with a number of other fitters on the same topic and was posting a common theme that all of them have emphasized, but is often overlooked. Working with Curtis has been really illuminating and I'm not going to attempt to post, describe, or divulge the techniques he has used to determine my optimal bike measurements and dimensions mostly because I don't fully understand them and wouldn't want people to implement the wrong techniques.

I'm a Data Analyst by trade. I am oriented by looking at what the data says first and foremost. I am not nor will I ever be a bike fitter, however, my personal story might add some context to all this. I have always focused on the result or the data and not on what some guy that works at a shop that went to a few fit courses thinks is correct, which is what 99.99999% of bike fitters are. I only care about ones that work with athletes that have either gone through traumatic injury, work with athletes whose career depends partially on a proper equipment setup, and have a track record of applying methods across all demographics. That really only leaves a few fitters and fit schools to choose from.

My Own Fit Journey- This is important as the original post was basically an unedited brain dump of years of experiences.
My main "background" in any applied sense is actually in weightlifting. I was a pretty terrible lifter, but had the fortune of working with some great S&C coaches and one variable that I noticed across sports, lifts, or technique, was the idea of proper pelvic tilt/alignment during maximal efforts at almost any intensity range from a 1RM squat to a 100M sprint enabling proper posterior chain and lower body muscle recruitment to enable such an effort. One thing I found lacking in subpar bike fits and in my own fit at times was the ability maintain a position that did not prevent pelvic rotation nor overemphasize it. My logic in trying to emphasize this point was that, from a stability and neuromuscular standpoint, pedaling efficiency should be optimized by placing the rider in a position in which they are able to rotate their pelvis thus able to recruit their entire posterior and anterior chains. Simply put, use the glutes, core, and lower back in various manners to ensure stability under load. That was it. In many cases saddle position can prevent this and many fit by numbers or fit by degrees schools of thought assume that if a rider is in a "zone" that they're thus close to optimal. Or others, such as Hogg, focus on one single aspect of stability and sacrifice orientation or vice versa. The next point of the post was to maybe use those indices as a guide.

When I started riding I was around 235lbs at 6 feet 2. This is after I had lost a bit of weight since my lifting days. I'm currently 150lbs. Naturally, my fit on the bike changed A LOT over time. Coming from a background where lifts are broken down into small differences in breathing, posture, hand placement, foot placement, etc. I was mindful to how even small differences would influence comfort, power output and aerodynamics. Its all pretty simple if you think about it.

Once I was down to around 200lbs I thought it was time to get a bike fit. Previously I had used some basic joint angle measurements, pro rider setup stats (for general ranges of what people of my dimensions rode) and a stationary trainer to set my bike up. This simplistic fit went unaltered by my first 3 fitters. So, it was close, however, if you looked at how I rode it was often on the tip of the saddle, I didn't feel like I was very stable under load, and I had a huge frontal/side profile. Having no real clue of where to start because the existing bike fit literature was so poor and tradition oriented I had a kinesiologist and S&C coach perform many of the same strength, stability, and mobility tests that Curtis used recently and went from there tweaking over a winter on the trainer very slowly using power, HR, cda, and RPE data from every single ride or interval to refine my position. I made changes based on what my data indicated, not on what was considered "normal".

This is where I also try to explain the focus on bike setup aesthetics. Its a type 1 judgment. You see an abnormal bike and you immediately think that something is awry. Cycling is very traditional. If you look at pro bikes you see riders such as Talansky on a very "normal" looking bike with a setback post, conservative drop, and good visual proportions. Then you have Barguil with massive drop, very far forward saddle, and a tiny (for his size) frame. Both are incredible riders and climbers, but require far different setups. Whose to say what is optimal either from a fit or equipment standpoint. If a rider doesn't have hip mobility issues and produces great torque and power, why move them to shorter cranks, which is all the rage? Moreover if a rider has great glute recruitment with a 30 degree back angle, then why use 35, 40, or even 45 as Retul recommends?

Back to my own fit journey, I ended up with a saddle setback of 85mm, seat height of 80cm and a saddle to hoods drop of 14cm. My back angle was 35 degrees, my KOPS was slightly behind the spindle, but everything else looked normal. On a size 58 Tarmac this required a 0 offset post, a -20 degree stem, and traditional bend bars since the HT was 205mm versus the normal 175-180mm of other brands. My bike looked very weird and I often received a ton of comments about how terrible my setup must be even though I knew that it was the most aero, powerful, and comfortable position. In a few cases I sought out fits just to confirm my logic. Also, I was never confident in my cleat position and had a lot of foot problems that required experimentations with different shoe brands. I never quite found a saddle that I liked either.

At one point I was suffering a knee injury on one side. Fitters then moved me all over the place based on whatever methods they used. My drop decreased to 9cm at times, which made my arms throb and neck hurt. They dropped my saddle to as low as 77cm and slammed my cleats back. One fitter increased my setback to 12cm. Everything you could think of, but I kept going back to what I came up with even as I lost weight and my riding abilities changed. Many of these changes ruined power output, handling, and race performance. In one case I couldn't produce over 800w and that season I was dropped from almost every single crit I raced. I doubted the result of my data based on traditions and practices others enforced that failed to look at what I found to be a very simple visual and functional variable.

Over the past two years I sought out Curtis as well as two other fitters that fit prominent World Tour teams, but work in Europe (thus making it impossible to get fit by them). I paid for phone consults, which reiterated much of what I wrote about in the original thread regarding pelvic orientation, but many aspects of my own comfort and functionality which I've never written about. Curtis confirmed much of what I suspected and had determined, but had the expertise to then advise changes based on it.

So what's the end of this story? My current bike, pictured below, has a seat height of 80cm, a setback of 13cm (9cm with a Romin and my original Arione), and a saddle to bar drop of 16cm. It looks weird to most people and they immediately think I'm trying to just look pro or something stupid by running a ton of drop and riding a size 56 at my height. In reality, there are issues with my rotator cuffs, extremely long arms, and incredible flexibility that necessitate such a position. We've tested less drop, more drop, less reach, more reach, different insoles, saddle positions, stance widths, etc. and this has proven to be the most optimal position. I went back to my old cda tests and its also luckily very aero, very comfortable and pelvic orientation under load is back to what it was.

Link to picture since actual picture isn't working: https://www.instagram.com/...?taken-by=karstegram

Main Point
I found the points of the original post useful to emphasize because (and I failed to articulate this) it is often possible to get the same patterns to satisfy a number of metrics from very different pelvic positions and orientation on the saddle. Believe in KOPS, don't believe in KOPS, I don't quite care, but if its a metric that helps to get a rider closer to proper orientation before tweaking in a static (i.e. on a fit cycle or trainer) environment then great. Measure it dynamically, statically, or not at all. Figure out a reliable method to establish some sort of zero point with which to iterate on, but focus on functionality under load first.

Examples
I used pros as an example in some cases because pictures of them are easy to come by. The Giants do have slack(er) seattubes in their respective sizes in many cases. A Giant TCR in M/L has a STA of 72.5 vs the standard 73.5 for a 56cm frame. I noted this only because it has the optical effect of making the seat look as if it is pushed further forward due to the clamp hitting the rails more towards the rear, up to 15mm depending on seat height. That is it. I used the example of the Lemond era bikes with regards to larger sizes as many brands now spec a 58 in 73 or 72.5. Again FOR AESTHETIC COMPARISON ONLY. Why? My point, which was obscured, was that saddles might look further forward than they are in some cases when the riders are riding in the exact same position to achieve the proper pelvic rotation and position. The sub point was that it if you look at riders across all generations and compare the global position over the BB you might notice that sliding forward under load was a solution some used to compensate for too long of a distance to the pedals under load and that many modern fitters had instead paid more attention to saddle position so that a position was more static and didn't require the rider to compensate for functional issues.

I could have also used Team Sky. Wiggo has a fairly low saddle height for his overall height and its positioned fairly far forward. His back is very straight, great pelvic rotation, great back extension, very stable under loads of all types, etc. I'm unaware of all the dimensions of Pinarello geo, but from what I recall its pretty normal if not slightly slack in the same sizes I would personally ride. Lots of riders and teams fit the bill, but I had most recently been paying attention to Giant after conservations with one of their fitters.

I chose Giant-Alpecin as an example simply because they actually do have a wide range of specialists, many of whom do ride a slightly more forward (in appearance) saddle position, have good (looking) functionality under load, and represent a wide range of somatatypes. Moreover if you look at Degenkolb's bike it looks very "traditional" whereas Barguils looks the opposite, yet they were both fit using the same methods, metrics, and focus. I was judging their pelvic rotation by looking at the rounding of their lower back (or lack thereof) under load and how their stability and orientation changed under power both in photos and in race videos. Watching both Tom D. and Warren B climb, both are very solid in the saddle with little hip movement or body english. From the side both maintain a neutral lower back position across their power range. Do I think they're a textbook example? No, but they're a reference point anyone can consult. Again, I was not attempting to write a text book. It was an example that I thought others could look at for themselves and hopefully get an idea of what I was talking about.

Why I don't drop names
As someone who has worked with a number of fitters (11 by my count) in recent years and only recently ended up with something that has been comfortable, efficient, and lasting, I wanted to create something that people could read that would plant the proper seed in their head. I do not name drop on public forums. Why? It adds nothing. I am happy to provide resources, info, reading, and in some cases names via private message. It would be irresponsible for me to take advice someone has given me about my own bike fit, diet, or training advice and apply it out of context. In other cases things are often said off the record and I'd rather stay on the safe side by not disclosing than starting a game of 'so and so said' on web forums. If that bothers you, sorry. I'd rather err on the side of relationship/professional caution.

Of those fitters I have worked with I am naming the most recent one because nothing I have disclosed here or in any post reflects his beliefs or services. While I have had atrocious experiences with other fitters, I do not want to post my isolated experience online as a reference point. There were several structural and functional issues with my fit that Curtis caught that no one else did, but it doesn't mean that they were all bad fitters. Some were not as highly trained in capacities or techniques that were used to identify these problems. In other cases the fitters were just not very thorough or adhered too much to their training/dogma. If you contacted me privately I would relay my experiences in a confidential manner, but if I were the fitter and my client could have perhaps been an edge case I was not used to dealing with I would be upset if my name was trashed all over the internet when I was, in fact, a professional and good at what I did in most other cases.

In paying people for services, consulting, and training advice I have also signed NDAs or agreed to keep things off the record. People seem to enjoy stalking my LinkedIn profile and getting upset at what I post on various forums and its one way of ensuring those that I get information from that what they tell me isn't going to just end up pasted everywhere for the world to see and I'm thus likely to get more information. If you want to doubt anything I say because of this then that's your call. When I can, I cite things. On Wattage debates I've given up because no matter what a person says they will be drowned out by a few posters. On other forums I lose interest because of the trolling, uninformed responses, or in many cases lack of compelling evidence that both sides, including myself, actually bring to the table.

TL;DR I'd rather keep getting advice from people than try to be an internet superhero that constantly has to name drop, post their own journal articles, etc. to maintain credibility. This isn't my job nor do I want it to be. I post my experiences and abbreviated knowledge to help others possibly avoid a frustrating journey and to learn from someone who has been through one. There were no similar posts when I started riding and they would have saved me years of trouble. Take from this what you will, discard the rest, and balance it with whatever makes sense to you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next