Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

This makes me SAD....
Quote | Reply
All those years toiling away on a bike chasing a dream and I could have sat on my ass and made real money......

http://www.esportsearnings.com/players

But then again I lack the finger speed to hit 6 figures.
Last edited by: Beachboy: Oct 21, 14 20:12
Quote Reply
Re: This makes me SAD.... [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet their mom and dad are really proud of them since
they can now afford to pay rent.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: This makes me SAD.... [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pay rent.....they can buy a house. The top 200 make a nice yearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like that is all time. The top US guy has been at it 12 years it says. 430k over 8 years. Looks like he got a real Job in 2007

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course as I say that it seems payouts in 2014 have gotten crazy for the top 10 or so.

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've ever played video games watching competition is actually very entertaining. I haven't played in years but I now subscribe to a few channels on Twitch.

Also, there's a huge amount of skill involved. I played in a few MLG tournaments during my brief college video game binge. You had to have lightening quick reflexes, work well with your team on the fly, and engagements were like super-fast chess matches in terms of positioning... and in reality neither I nor the team I played for or the teams we played were anywhere near as good as the top notch guys. To put it in golf terms, the average video game player is a 30 handicap, I was a +1, and the top guys are like Tiger Woods in the zone when he was good (so like a +10 or better).

Sports and entertainment evolve. Competitive walking was big in the early 1900s. Horse racing used to be much bigger than it is now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason 2014 was so high see link below. Kind of like the world series of poker maybe. Actually could potentially have a triathlon where everyone pays 2k to race (not that much more than an IM) money after expenses goes into the prize purse per age group (Pros would obviously have sponsors put up the fee). Each age group gets paid out based on finish place with payout going based on # of participants in each age group.

http://www.esportsearnings.com/...e-international-2014

Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: This makes me SAD.... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was around during the birth of the Cyber Athlete Professional League (CPL). I remember the days of watching HLTV Counter Strike matches. Many people make fun of these guys, but the reflexes, strategy, and fast thinking required to do well is amazing. These guys may not be "athletes" in the traditional sense, but what they do is very difficult. I miss those days of playing teams in LAN parties and online. It was fun. I think I'll go play some Counter Strike: Global Offensive and think back to the good old days haha

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't knock on those guys. What they do takes mad skills.
Quote Reply
Re: This makes me SAD.... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I was around during the birth of the Cyber Athlete Professional League (CPL). I remember the days of watching HLTV Counter Strike matches. Many people make fun of these guys, but the reflexes, strategy, and fast thinking required to do well is amazing. These guys may not be "athletes" in the traditional sense, but what they do is very difficult. I miss those days of playing teams in LAN parties and online. It was fun. I think I'll go play some Counter Strike: Global Offensive and think back to the good old days haha
I played HL and Q2 deathmatch in late 90s. Consistently in top 100 on CLQ. Cracked top 10 one week (out of several million players). Yep good old days. I stopped playing and like anything without practice today I'm not that good.
Quote Reply
Re: This makes me SAD.... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not knocking them, just amazed.....for one E-sport? And getting paid?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All those dollars that could've been solar panels.... lol the violent video games creep me out kinda it's like some weird sadistic shizz just running around killin people left n right like it ain't no thang. Like wtf this is genocide lol calm it down bro like make love not war or summin lol I play them too sometimes but i always think about how weird it is for me to be like playing out mass murder and it's like a totally normal thing to be doing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HTFU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That top guy from China is playing a game i've never even heard of, Dota 2?

Look at these prize purses though, where is this $$ coming from?!!! Ironman pros could only wish for a fraction of this!

Dota 2 International Championship
Quote Reply
Re: This makes me SAD.... [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Companies like Intel and Nvidia sponsor tournaments. That's where the big money comes from. I just learned what Dota 2 was last night haha

This is Dota 2 http://store.steampowered.com/app/570/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota_2

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 22, 14 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: This makes me SAD.... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sponsors are everything, i think gaming has done well by broadening its audience, streaming events, getting sponsors outside of gaming (redbull comes to mind)

instead of being surprised, we (triathlon) should take note and follow suit, selling the brand to spectators outside of the sport. these players put in long hours and have massive followings, in youtube and social media land, and that is where the money/sponsorship can be made
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fatal1ty is insanely good. They make money in endorsements too. I recall he started him own product company. My wife got to play him once in exhibition. Managed to score 1 point by pure luck.
Quote Reply