Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
There's a new wheel company in town
Quote | Reply
Hi, I’m Ben Jackson.

I’m a Chicago-based triathlete, marathoner, recreational Uber-driver, and entrepreneur. I’m an obsessive optimizer and racing provides more than a bit of fuel for that fire.

About three months ago I became fed-up with the ever-increasing price and seldom-improving performance of the options on the market. It’s hard to optimize with a price-tag of $2,000+ per wheel! I had done a decent amount of prior wheel-building and had developed some extremely random connections with overseas parts manufacturers in the process. I started to wonder – “Why on earth can I buy all of the parts used by the major brands for a fraction of what they charge for an assembled wheel?” Ever have one of those moments where 3-4 million mental puzzle-pieces snap together so violently that you practically get whiplash?

That’s exactly how Dished Wheels was born.

Our vision is simple – to provide a full line of fast, reliable, and simple full-carbon race wheels at bargain basement pricing. I’m more of a “show, don’t tell” kind of guy, so I want to give you a few quick highlights about Dished:

- 13 different wheel models ranging from 40mm spoked – full disc designs
- 12 color choices
- Tubular and Clincher options
- Wide-toroidal rim profiles providing a maximum aerodynamic advantage
- Durable full-carbon designs with rider-weight limits around 300lbs
- DT-Swiss and Novatec hubs
- Sapim CX-Ray spoke setups
- Real-time ordering – no need to wait for monthly queues.

Most wheels are far too expensive for the aerodynamic advantages they claim to provide. Our wheels perform in line with the best at a fraction of the price. We have designed them to hit the sweet spot between aerodynamics, affordability, and customization. They are hand-built to our exacting specifications by our overseas manufacturer and shipped directly to you within 10 days of your order.

How can we do this? Great question.

Roughly 70% of the price of most big-name race wheels is attributable to three factors:

- Excessive research: There is a significant misunderstanding in the market as to the total aerodynamic advantage that wheels can provide, as well as the design factors that actually contribute to their aerodynamics. The majority of aerodynamics research done on modern wheels is done simply to justify the price-point and does not play a meaningful role in decreasing their total drag. Our wheel designs achieve the balance between “just right” and “excessive” by following industry standards without pushing expensive “features”.
- Inefficient marketing and distribution: The more people who sell your wheels, the less money that you make per sale. This is due primarily to the standard 60% wholesale pricing paid by distributors and the downward affect that cross distributor competition has on pricing. Because our wheels are only sold direct to consumers via our web-store we are able to avoid the impact of distribution markups.
- The “because we can” effect: As racers, we often spend outrageous amounts of money on things that we think that we need. After all, it’s all about the gear, right? The major manufacturers know this as well as we do and they charge accordingly. Could Zipp sell their super-9 for $600? Probably, but why the hell would they do that when people will buy it for $2300? It doesn’t have to be that way, and our prices make that point loud and clear.

I’m really, really excited about what Dished is becoming and I’m even more excited to see what it will become with your help. Whether you are a new triathlete looking for your first set of race wheels or a seasoned vet filling in the gaps in your arsenal check us out at www.dishedwheels.com. You’ll find our wheels, blog, and forums there – take a look and let us know what you think!

You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates, antics, and the occasional adorable puppy video.

Here’s to the start of a beautiful friendship!

- Ben

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [dishedwheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much better to just market your wheels on triathlon forums where you have never posted before and don't have to pay pesky advertising fees, no?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling that this may turn unenjoyable for you.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all! We've actually got quite a few marketing campaigns running right now. I've also got a separate personal account that I didn't want to sully with business related items.

This is a much better way to get some honest dialogue going as there is only so far that Google Analytics can take you with something that is so historically personal.

That said, what are your thoughts about what we're doing and how we can improve?

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We've actually got quite a few marketing campaigns running right now."

that is great to know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flo has built up a lot of fans. Even if you actually have product in stock (really, the only potentially meaningful differentiation I see), going to be hard to supplant them.

But best of luck to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are there pictures of zipps on your web page?
Why do your wheels cost more than flow wheels?
Who currently rides on your wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan -

I agree, Flo did a get job of opening the "Low Cost + High Technology" market. We have no intentions of supplanting them as they play an important role in the market. The goal is to offer more wheel options (IE, they only offer Aluminum clinchers while we offer full-carbon tubulars and clinchers) and models (we have three and five-spoke wheels; they do not) to hit the segments that are still open for competition.

Thanks for the well-wishing!

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you're reselling the same shitty Chinese wheels as every other wheel builder out there with no experience knowledge or history?

Not hard to find the same crap you're selling.. 5.32 seconds on google revealed this

http://www.aliexpress.com/...00c/32452630117.html

which looks strangely similar to this..

http://www.dishedwheels.com/...heels/dished-f-penta

Why would I buy from you at overinflated prices when I can buy the same shit direct? Don't pretend like you have done any 'aero testing' or modelling on these, you simply bought a bulk discount of alibaba and are now flogging them off.

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [mcrae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mcrae -

Great questions!

1. The idea behind that picture was to demonstrate that expensive gear is in reach with us where it might not be with other manufacturers. I hadn't even noticed that the wheels shown in that image were Zipps! Good catch. =)
2. Our wheels cost more than Flo's for two main reasons
1. Ours are made using structural carbon rather than aluminum with carbon fairings. This provides greater durability and, in some cases, a weight reduction.
2. We are using hubs from well-tested and reputable manufacturers DT-Swiss and Novatec. Once you have achieved optimal aero dimensions on a wheel the hubs are arguably the most important part of the wheel - we went with products that had a history of durability rather than "reinvent the wheel"
3. I have been riding one version or another of my own designs for the past two years and have only recently started having with friends and colleagues ride them. I have three highly-ranked amateur sponsorship deals pending and will let you know as soon as more people are up and running.

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you actually got any photos of one of your wheels.. All I can see is stock images with very poorly photoshopped images of your logo (which barely classifies as a logo) on them

http://www.dishedwheels.com/#/products/

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Last edited by: mopshiv: Aug 31, 15 21:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can improve by not importing generic rims and instead devoting a year or two to r&ad by creating a product that actually contributes something meaningful to the market. I could buy your rims from overseas and have them laced up locally for less. What Flo/Swiss side has done I could not replicate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their hubs are based on novatec with upgraded bearings and a little customization.
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [mopshiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mopshiv -

You've hit on an important point that is starting to make waves in this industry:

Optimal wheel designs are no secret.

We've known the optimal aerodynamic shapes to use for rim/wheel designs for about 15 years now and everyone from the cheapest of foreign wheel manufacturers (many of whom actually manufacture parts and even full wheels for many of the major brands, btw.) to the most elite brands utilize roughly the same open-source designs. The current price disparities between the cheap foreign brands and the cutting edge elites are often little more than buying a name brand. If you'd like to read more about this, check out this post that I published last Friday.

The trick is to find manufacturers who use:

1. High quality, well-tested carbon fiber for the rims
2. OEM Hubs that have a long history of reliability
3. Meticulous truing standards
4. Warranties

When you have that, you're playing in a different league than the cheapies. I understand your argument as I've seen many, many other companies doing what you are claiming that we are. Feel free to buy those wheel direct from Aliexpress if you'd like, but they are nowhere near the same wheels that we are selling.

You are correct when you say that we have not wind-tunnel tested our wheels yet. To be honest, I'd prefer to rely on the experience of my rim manufacturer and pass the savings on to you rather than pay several thousand dollars for testing that at best might provide a ten-second reduction in race time (see the post referenced above).

I'm open to the idea of aero-testing and may invest in it once I've had a chance to better feel out the waters of this market.

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will have photos once my first shipment arrives from the manufacturer. The photos on my website are stand-ins (albeit glorious representations of how poor my Adobe Illustrator skills are) based on design schemas I sent to the manufacturer with my wheel logo superimposed.

I'm not sold on the logo either - if you hate it, let me know as I'm open to suggestions!

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Subscribed.. putting a bag of popcorn in the microwave... time for a show!
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great feedback.

I thought about doing this until I realized that there is little if anything that provides an aero (or other) benefit separating "Generic Rims" from highly researched and extremely expensive models. Is the rim a wide-toroidal shape, as deep as you want it to be, lightweight, made out of high temperature compression-molded carbon fiber, and able to withstand a high rider weight? Great, then you have 99.9% of the advantages that can be had from any wheel.

I'd rather not waste money on excess unless it's absolutely necessary.

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the comments coming, all! I posted here because I knew it was the best place to get honest feedback, criticism, and suggestions.

There's nothing quite like having someone tear you a new one to help you think clearly about your business plan!

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not a logo, thats a shitty font from MS Word..

Quote:
High quality, well-tested carbon fiber for the rims

So I'm assuming you toured the factories in China and performed some sort of testing on your wheels before finally selecting the one for your new 'company'?

yet...

Quote:
I will have photos once my first shipment arrives from the manufacturer

So your selling something you have never seen yet allege to be well tested? By who exactly?

I agree with you that you can achieve 95% of the benefits of a name brand with a generic rim design however trying to say that god awful 5 spoke is even remotely aerodynamic is an insult everyone looking at your site.

You're not a manufacturer, you're not a wheel builder. You are a reseller of Chinese shit. When it eventually turns up...

Finally I would never buy any generic untested, unproven products for something that I am going to trust to keep me safe at 60mph downhill...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mopshiv -

Actually, the logo font is a shitty customized Adobe Typeset. =) As I said before, this is a stand-in for the pics I will post once my first shipment arrives. The actual logo design looks much better.

As for the rim testing/factory touring, no, I have not visited the factory. I selected them based on numerous customer reviews and feedback, multiple conversations with the management, and upon reviewing the braking and structural reports for their rims and wheels in great detail. If the need ever arises and it can be done without damaging the price point for you, I certainly will visit them.

It's impossible to see a product that has not yet gone into production. I'm using long-standing, highly tested parts to build wheels that will not exist anywhere until I receive my test shipment next week. If anything is amiss with them, I absolutely will not put them to market.

I'm not sure how you would classify a manufacturer or wheel builder nor where you got impression that everything manufactured in China is shit. I can tell you that I did design these wheels with the manufacturer, I have hand-built my own wheels, and if it wasn't for Chinese manufacturing none of us would even be able to have this rousing discussion online.

I want you not only to be safe, but to feel safe riding my wheels. If you don't trust them, don't buy them. No love lost! =)

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Last edited by: dishedwheels: Aug 31, 15 22:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry your website is really amateurish. Take it offline, hire a professional photographer and get some decent photos of the finished product and hire a web designer to create you a professional, credible website. Then start your marketing/advertising.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dishedwheels wrote:
I will have photos once my first shipment arrives from the manufacturer. The photos on my website are stand-ins (albeit glorious representations of how poor my Adobe Illustrator skills are) based on design schemas I sent to the manufacturer with my wheel logo superimposed.

I'm not sold on the logo either - if you hate it, let me know as I'm open to suggestions!

I would have spend a couple of thousand dollars to get an actual graphic designer develop a decent looking logo and likewise, have something better than badly photoshopped pictures when my website went live.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression and my first impression is, "I am selling re-badged generic chinese imports" via a very cheesy website. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: There's a new wheel company in town [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough! It's tough to build a solid web-presence on a shoe-string budget when you're bringing a new product to market and doing all of the dev work yourself. I definitely have plans to improve the design once we have a decent sales flow and will have real images of the wheels once the samples arrive from my manufacturer.

Ben Jackson
Founder and President
Dished Wheels, LLC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you still have not answered the point that you are effectively peddling the same chinese wheels one can find in China: Wheelsfar ...

they even offer dt swiss as well ... and to be honest you are not even original - tokyo wheels tried their luck on roadie forums and well ...didnt end well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dishedwheels wrote:
Fair enough! It's tough to build a solid web-presence on a shoe-string budget when you're bringing a new product to market and doing all of the dev work yourself. I definitely have plans to improve the design once we have a decent sales flow and will have real images of the wheels once the samples arrive from my manufacturer.

Regard it as constructive criticism! People won't want to part with their hard earned cash when the website is so poorly designed irrespective of the quality of the product, especially when the company and product are new to market.
Quote Reply

Prev Next