Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The women’s U.S. transcontinental running record is days away from being broken
Quote | Reply
At about this time last year, Pete Kostelnick, a winner of the Badwater 135 Ultramarathon, broke the men's U.S. transcontinental running record by completing his 3,000-mile run in 42 days--four days faster than the previous record that had stood for 36 years.

On September 11th, this year's women's winner of the Badwater 135, Sandy Villines, began her attempt to break the women's transcontinental record of 67 days. She's currently (October 31st) in central Pennsylvania, just a couple hundred miles away from the finish in New York City. (She's following the same route used by Pete Kostelnick.) Barring a disaster, she's not only going to break the record, but she's going to smash it to pieces. She's been running 50-60 miles a day, every day, since she started, so it looks like she'll finish sometime this weekend. (Saturday would be the 54th day of her record attempt, and 54 days was her goal.)

Just like Pete's record attempt, this has been amazing to follow.

In case you'd like to follow her progress, here's her tracking page: http://www.sandyacrossamerica.com/track-sandy.html

Here's her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ultragirl52/

This video of her record attempt, posted by a newspaper in Ohio, was pretty interesting: http://m.sent-trib.com/...79812a.html?mode=jqm
Quote Reply
Re: The women’s U.S. transcontinental running record is days away from being broken [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: The women’s U.S. transcontinental running record is days away from being broken [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I was unaware the of Sandy Villines' run, or that of Scottish runner Mimi Anderson who was also attempting the record.

Unfortunately, it appears Mimi's attempt came to an end in Indiana a couple of weeks ago. It would have been interesting to follow both their runs concurrently.

54 days is impressive.

I was surprised to read the current record was 'only' 67 days and has stood for 40 years. Given the rises in popularity of ultra running since then, I thought someone would knocked it over before this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for the update, I knew this was going on but had not been following..

I was still living in South Africa when the 'Galloping Granny', Mavis Hutcheson, was the first woman to run across America. That was 68 days, when she was 53..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. Wow, 50-60 miles a day, and here I am trying to work up to 50 miles per WEEK! I wish her the best!
Quote Reply
Re: The women’s U.S. transcontinental running record is days away from being broken [JRTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow this is crazy. She ran right past my street in Livermore, CA. amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: The women’s U.S. transcontinental running record is days away from being broken [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
Wow this is crazy. She ran right past my street in Livermore, CA. amazing!

Livermore is where I grew up and went to Granada high school

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 8:00 p.m. Eastern time Saturday, Sandy has just about 10 miles to go. In a matter of minutes, she'll be crossing over the Hudson River. The finish line is at city hall.

Incredibly, even though she limited herself to 50-60 miles each day for 52 days, she's been running these final two days--135 miles--virtually nonstop.

You can track her final miles here: http://www.sandyacrossamerica.com/track-sandy.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very very impressive!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The women’s U.S. transcontinental running record is days away from being broken [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checked on her route and it took her a half-mile from the home near Danville, PA my wife and I just moved from. Would have been terrific to have seen her, what an accomplishment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Both are amazing feats! Just awestruck!!

A little quick math shows 3000 miles in 42 days is roughly 71.5 miles/day. Assuming 10 minute miles, that's running nearly 12 hours every day for 6 weeks.

I probably couldn't run for 12 hours in 6 weeks!
Quote Reply
Re: The women’s U.S. transcontinental running record is days away from being broken [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Wow. Both are amazing feats! Just awestruck!!

A little quick math shows 3000 miles in 42 days is roughly 71.5 miles/day. Assuming 10 minute miles, that's running nearly 12 hours every day for 6 weeks.

I probably couldn't run for 12 hours in 6 weeks!

Yes, it's not just the number of days that Pete Kostelnick took for his run that is so impressive, it's how quickly he ran and how much recovery time he had.

I read a couple of interviews in which he said he was on the road at 4am and in bed by 6pm.

Compare that with the Sri Chinmoy 3100 Mile race in New York, where the record is a comparable 40 days 9 hours, with a permissible 18 hours on the course each day.

Not sure how long it will be before Kostelnick is running well again. He DNFed two 24 Hour races this year, including the World Champs, and was over 6 hours off his PB at Badwater.
Quote Reply