Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The unbearable being of lightness.
Quote | Reply
Let's face it. It's all about body comp.

It's hairy leg season season now, aka get fat season. But I'm going contrarian and this means using the next 3 months to get lighter, again. I concede nothing to the holidays. Bring it. I'll still have the pumpkin flavored pork rinds and skittles, the stuffing and gravy and whatever the fat man throws down the chimney. It'll be a very weird looking calorie distribution file, but it WILL be a deficit.

The last 3 years of racing bikes I've showed up weighing less in April and have had more fun and better results each year. I figure if I can work my way into a full blown eating disorder I've got a shot at cat 2. Ha, ha. (Sort of.)

Light is a relative term. I'm now 223 up from 212 in June when my season ended abruptly halfway through a criterium. I'm shooting to race in April at 205. That will be very skinny for me but I won't have enough fun in Masters and cat 3 races any heavier. And I'm eschewing crits. No more crits. Too expensive. I'm over the hill so power is not going to magically jump much higher without being a big fat cheater.

So here we go. From now until January will be long non measured rides, other fun fitness stuff, shoulder rehab, maybe some twerking. January begins the trainer intensity and I won't have to worry about dropping much weight, if any. Might put some on, I don't know. Don't know if we'll have time....

Who's in? Just post your weight loss, gain, or hilarious failures. You eat an entire cake? Post it. You eat your kid's entire plastic pumpkin of Halloween candy? Post it, you selfish bastard. You go on a meth bender and drop 12? Post it. You run a Turkey Trot, slam 7 Sam Adams' and 3 plates of food and wake up 4 lbs heavier? Post it, Fatty.

Okay, they all here? I'm goin anyway....
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. I'm game seeing as how I've ballooned up to 170 lbs and was already racing a couple of pounds overweight at 163.

I want to get back down to a svelte 160 and see if I can take my watts/kg to the next level. I plant to start racing in March with an NCC crit so need to come out swinging for the fences form the getgo. I'll be starting threshold with a few dabs of harder stuff in November and gradually getting more specific all the way through March.

I ate 7 chocolate chip cookies today, two of which had a huge gob of cake icing in between... so not the best start. No dessert tonight, then! Maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>Who's in?

I'll do it. I upgraded to Cat 3 this past year, and started scoring points. At age 41 with only moderate talent I know my window to reach Cat 2 is limited. But I'd like to hit that level before transitioning to pure geezer racing (not that geezer racing is much easier than Cat 2 at the national level). My power has gone up significantly every year in my 5 years of road cycling. Sometimes magically so. Without cheating. I know that window is closing too. Which is why I'm pushing the chips to the middle this year.

It is all about body comp. I already get "too skinny" comments at 6'3" 175lbs., but I know that I need to turn the dial to '11' for a few months to make it to Cat 2. I'm calling it 168lbs. by March.

Still gonna do crits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the category of "tmi", I had a vasectomy done on Friday. There is no way im restricting calories with this uh... discomfort.

Today my wife went out and got me a nice big McDonald's breakfast, a box of chocolate chip muffins from the local bakery, and there's nachos and cheese in the oven.

I weigh a nice 170 (6 feet) so I could care less!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced this season at 156, I'm 5"10". I developed a stress fracture and have run much since June, but enough. My last race was Sept 21st, I weighed in at 157 that morning. Since then Not a single step taken in a running pose and nary a running shoe has been strapped to my feet. I took a full week off after my last race and have been slowly getting back into swimming and cycling the last two weeks, no running until the end of this month. This morning I weighed in at a mighty 165.

I'm in, though I don't expect to lose anything until I can start running again. For three weeks I haven't turned down a single craving and don't plan on sacrificing a single craving until then either.

Goal, get down to 160 for the new year turn. By then I'll be running strong and will be able to knock off the last 4-5 pounds by the time Du season kicks off in April.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, at 5'8" and 172lbs I really need to loose about 20, the funny thing is everyone says I'm not fat, I just feel like it on ST.

Anyway I'll post the debauchery when it happens, like when I eat a large pizza, full box of cereal and 6 pack of IPAs for dinner!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got the jump on it this year and have put on 8kgs in time for summer... (Queensland Australia... its gonna be hot and damp)..
Getting cleaned up by a car after IM cairns was the stimulus but i have embraced it..
Floor exercises are far easier as I roll with great ease..
Get on board folks... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

It's hairy leg season season now, aka get fat season. But I'm going contrarian and this means using the next 3 months to get lighter, again. I concede nothing to the holidays. Bring it. I'll still have the pumpkin flavored pork rinds and skittles, the stuffing and gravy and whatever the fat man throws down the chimney. It'll be a very weird looking calorie distribution file, but it WILL be a deficit.

The last 3 years of racing bikes I've showed up weighing less in April and have had more fun and better results each year. I figure if I can work my way into a full blown eating disorder I've got a shot at cat 2. Ha, ha. (Sort of.)

Light is a relative term. I'm now 223 up from 212 in June when my season ended abruptly halfway through a criterium. I'm shooting to race in April at 205. That will be very skinny for me but I won't have enough fun in Masters and cat 3 races any heavier. And I'm eschewing crits. No more crits. Too expensive. I'm over the hill so power is not going to magically jump much higher without being a big fat cheater.

So here we go. From now until January will be long non measured rides, other fun fitness stuff, shoulder rehab, maybe some twerking. January begins the trainer intensity and I won't have to worry about dropping much weight, if any. Might put some on, I don't know. Don't know if we'll have time....

Who's in? Just post your weight loss, gain, or hilarious failures. You eat an entire cake? Post it. You eat your kid's entire plastic pumpkin of Halloween candy? Post it, you selfish bastard. You go on a meth bender and drop 12? Post it. You run a Turkey Trot, slam 7 Sam Adams' and 3 plates of food and wake up 4 lbs heavier? Post it, Fatty.

I have no been trying to get back to my college weight of 165 when I played baseball. I peaked at 220 three years ago now at 180. I'm in. 160 by May ????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'1" and usually around 180-190. I used to do a lot of weights so I was actually decently "lean" at that weight. The last two years I've barely been in the weight room and starting doing longer distance tris and my weight dropped to levels I haven't been since I was 17 (168ish). To be honest, while I liked being ripped, I hated being "skinny". Since the summer I've barely worked out at all, and now I'm back to 185, but now I'm just a skinny dude with pudge around the stomach. Damn. Thanks triathlon!

So I don't necessarily subscribe to your idea of getting skinnier, but I'm definitely going to use this time to lean up again, maybe get back in the gym, and sort my body out a little bit!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am exactly where you're at! Well more like 175 (won't stare at the scale because I'm scared) I weighted 162 with about 7-8% body fat in february and am now at about 12-13%. I have never been this fat in about 5 years. Well I have 2 cross-country ski marathons (50 and 51km) this winter and plan on doing my first full marathon next fall.

So the plan is to get down to 155-158 for next march so that i can keep up with master bike racing (got spanked big time this year)

I'm IN!
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I'm 6'1" and usually around 180-190. I used to do a lot of weights so I was actually decently "lean" at that weight. The last two years I've barely been in the weight room and starting doing longer distance tris and my weight dropped to levels I haven't been since I was 17 (168ish). To be honest, while I liked being ripped, I hated being "skinny". Since the summer I've barely worked out at all, and now I'm back to 185, but now I'm just a skinny dude with pudge around the stomach. Damn. Thanks triathlon!

So I don't necessarily subscribe to your idea of getting skinnier, but I'm definitely going to use this time to lean up again, maybe get back in the gym, and sort my body out a little bit!

Hit the nail on the head. NOT skinny, but LEAN. I'm currently transitioning from more of a lifter to a triathlete. I still lift once a week, nothing heavy or drastic, but to keep muscle. Trying to lean out the upper body quite a bit. Frankly, I need some help as I'm still carrying too much.

Either way, IN. Currently 6'2" ~ 200. Looking to drop 15-20 by spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had an injury and bring bored and a little depressed I ate and ate and ate some more. Put on 11lbs.

Time to take it off.

First 3 weeks give up sugar
Next 3 weeks get in some extra strength training
Next 3 weeks try some carb cycling ( low carb days and high carb days)

Check and reset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Just ate 3.5 slices of Papa Johns Meat Lovers...I did walk when I played golf this afternoon, so that counts for something
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All right! Go team!
In all seriousness, weight loss is easier when training intensity is low, so it's a good time, an opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btmoney wrote:
I'm in. Just ate 3.5 slices of Papa Johns Meat Lovers...I did walk when I played golf this afternoon, so that counts for something

That's the shit I'm talkin about.

Tonight I'm doing cheap red, almonds and the O's game. Tomorrow is a long slow ride. If I were working hard and holding watts I'd have to be eating right. Eff that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will need to see how much weight I gain after my 10 days at Disneyland. At day 8.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's do this

230 ish today, goal by next spring well under sub 200, perfect world= sub 180

6' 0 on the nose
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [iron07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in. 6'1 250. Started my "winter" two weeks ago. Getting down to 210 is the gaol!

The only easy day was yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'4", like to race at or under 170 (post-poop). Tri season ended just as work hours/ stress increased, plus I naturally get a little heavier as it gets colder here in Michigan. I missed a few days last week due to illness and ate like a hog. Imagine my surprise when the scale said 170 this morning!

I thought about it, moved it slightly on the floor, got back on and was at 176. Magic. Still training for 13.1 in November, so maybe I'll get south of 175 and hold on until Turkey Day.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im 6'2" and lightest Ive been in recent history was 79kg (174lb). At this point I was 7.9% body fat according to a DEXA scan.

In the last 8 weeks however, I've gone up to 86kg (189lb) not through being careless with diet.. but through hitting the gym. Cant tell if my body fat has increased as I havnt been doing as many km's training so I suspect it has slightly... But 7kg (15lb) in 8 weeks?

Time to buy a new lighter bike....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'11 184 (today)...was 165 last summer when I was working out twice a day after my (now) ex-wife left me. Then I moved and started clinical rotations in medical school. Depression ate away at me and I wouldn't acknowledge it at the time. Now I'm with someone much better for me and feel I can make a change in the right direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

I really gotta lay off those meth benders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IN.

It's uncanny, I was just thinking that I needed some sort of accountability thread like this. Happened after checking my scale this morning to see 178 lbs. I was 160 at the beginning of August, but a month at home in Canada (I live in Korea) killed that with beers every day, tons of crappy food, and one night in which I scarfed 30 tacos in an hour. Running has suffered, needless to say, and I need some accountability.

No crap so far today. I'm just going to consciously avoid garbage this week, then start adding restrictions (sugar, fast food, etc) as weeks progress. I will screw up many many times.
Quote Reply
Re: The unbearable being of lightness. [WaitWhat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaitWhat wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Hit the nail on the head. NOT skinny, but LEAN. I'm currently transitioning from more of a lifter to a triathlete. I still lift once a week, nothing heavy or drastic, but to keep muscle. Trying to lean out the upper body quite a bit. Frankly, I need some help as I'm still carrying too much.

Either way, IN. Currently 6'2" ~ 200. Looking to drop 15-20 by spring.

I am literally in the same size predicament, let the leaning begin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had better luck dropping weight in the winter. I eat to have energy to train, I often over-do it in the summer.

In the winter, if I don't have enough energy I can bag the workout and try it another day since I don't have to worry about prepping for a race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next