Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
campled wrote:
Its a .3 thick abs.
Painted matte over it, you can see it slightly at about 2:00 of the non drive side pic.

Perhaps you meant 0.030"? 0.3 is nearly 3/8".
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasfast wrote:
campled wrote:
Its a .3 thick abs.
Painted matte over it, you can see it slightly at about 2:00 of the non drive side pic.

Perhaps you meant 0.030"? 0.3 is nearly 3/8".

Yes if it's as light as he said it was it would have to be 0.030. Also
not to nick pick I'm wondering if the weight was for one disc wheel cover
and not both added together.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Nov 5, 13 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul is correct on both. thickness is .03 and weight i wrote is for one side.weight for both covers came out 302grms.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my Mad Fiber Disc Wheel...

Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [JTK28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta give some props, that is clean good looking work. Can you explain the process?
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Gotta give some props, that is clean good looking work. Can you explain the process?

If you're asking ME how i turned my mad fiber into a disc wheel...

It was actually pretty easy after some trial and error.

Basically i went to the dollar store and bought some foam board sheets to create the disc shape. Then just covered the wheel with "carbon fiber" vinyl (the stuff they cover cars with).

If you want a more detailed explanation i'll try to write up a tutorial.

I also have to mention these are the 2.0 version. My method won't work for the original style spoke pattern.
Last edited by: JTK28: Jan 25, 14 22:01
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [JTK28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I did:

The material is called curv, I dicided to go with .6mm sheet.
Both covers weight 358 grams.
This non drive side will be attached with 3m 33+ from the inside and all the way around.
The drive side below will be attached as above but with Velcro which is attached to the spokes instead of the tape.

I wasn't sure about saving weight and just goin til the rim starts but think the tape last longer on the flat part of the rim.
Didn't drive it cause of the temp we got but can't wait to get the thing running. It will be attached to an 404 zipp zedtech set which used to run for Saxo bank.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Jan 26, 14 4:02
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you purchase the curv product? I went to their site and its not very user friendly. This seems like a good winter project.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [ten26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ten26 wrote:
Where did you purchase the curv product? I went to their site and its not very user friendly. This seems like a good winter project.
http://www.modulor.de/...s/cnid/AAK/anid/AAKI

It's in Germany, just to make sure. In the US I would have bought the wheelbuilder cover.

One change I had to do.....the cover needed to cut down so it just ends with the spokes and is taped to the rim. I had rubbing from the RD with that angle. It gets lighter with this, almost 2" less than pictured. Gotta upload a final one soon.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These all look great. I'm just about to have a go but was considering using 2mm Correx (corrugated plastic sheet). By my calculations, the plastic for both sides of the covers should come in around 150g which seems pretty light. I still think it should be rigid enough due to the corrugations. Anyone ever considered or had a go using this stuff or something similar?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [PBDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a .028" Kydex sheet plastic for mine. It shaped together beautifully and stuck perfectly to the rim. I never weighed it but I certainly would have liked to go lighter.

The Correx seems like a possible light option, I'm just curious if it will lenticular-ly (not a real word) curve well to shape around the rim.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work your Kydex sheet to be about 950 grams/m^2 vs 270 for the Correx so it could be <1/3 the weight. If it works....
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [PBDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that you need enough clearance as well as kinda strong material. I went with 0.6mm and there is just a little clearence for the cassette and the RD, depends on the wheel also.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a trispoke disc using 3 materials

1. a pack of elmer's foam multiboard which was cut into the triangle sections
  2. held in place by electrical tape (same method catalyst uses to secure their carbon wheel covers
  3. some automotive carbon fiber vinyl sheet roll (http://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I did a bunch of testing on a 2 mile out and back with a 28 spoke wheel, my trispoke, trispoke converted to disc, and a hed jet disc.

Results were:
28 spoke wheel - 21.08 mph
trispoke wheel - 21.40 mph
trispoke disc - 21.77 mph
hed jet disc - 21.92 mph

Picture at:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=528407&mid=5094616#M5094616

Last edited by: navybeaver: Feb 19, 15 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [navybeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
navybeaver,
Your wheel looks awesome!!

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made mine today.

Pretty much followed the OPs advice. The one tip I'd add is when you tape the cover to establish the dish ---- make a mental note of the amount of overlap on the cover. Then when you remove from wheel to glue together ---- make sure your overlap is still there. One my first try, the tape didnt hold the overlap and the dishing was off for the non drive side (luckily, the dishing was good enough for the drive side ---- Winning!)

Cut my own circles ----- piece of wood with a screw in it to pivot on ----- hole drilled in end for fine tip sharpie pen:

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
I used a .028" Kydex sheet plastic for mine. It shaped together beautifully and stuck perfectly to the rim. I never weighed it but I certainly would have liked to go lighter.

The Correx seems like a possible light option, I'm just curious if it will lenticular-ly (not a real word) curve well to shape around the rim.
doublea334, what did you use to plastic weld the Kydex seams? I found it pretty cheap online but not sure which item to use for welding it.

Found 0.040 ABS too, maybe I should just stay with that route since I have the ABS cement already from the last time I made a cover for my old wheels .

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmacandcheese wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

doublea334, what did you use to plastic weld the Kydex seams? I found it pretty cheap online but not sure which item to use for welding it.

Found 0.040 ABS too, maybe I should just stay with that route since I have the ABS cement already from the last time I made a cover for my old wheels .

I used 'ABS to PVC transition cement'. It was what a Home Depot employee recommended. Seemed to hold up well for the season of racing I put in on the wheel.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you riding 700c rims?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone give any input as to if .030 HIPS is thick enough for this? I found a 24" x 48" sheet on Amazon for about $15 shipped.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering that people used to run Monocote or Mylar covered wheels as disks, I would think so. The issue would be durability. I wouldn't use it (or any disk) as an everyday wheel. A little packing tape can fix some transition area boo-boos. If nothing else, the lighter material will make cutting easier.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used .030 Polystyrene and it worked great. The only issue was trying to keep the the cut from making a "peak" instead of staying smooth. I made the strip on the backside fairly narrow so that didn't help. Just a cosmetic issue and really not noticeable. Plenty strong.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [smon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on a very hot sunny day black polystyrene might deflect or warp a bit if you use double sided
tape to connect the inside of the discs to the spokes.

That has been my experience a few years ago when I tried using HIPS. Also it may tear
a bit easier than ABS plastic. This might be an issue around the inflation cutout.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: The ultimate DIY disc wheel cover how-to thread. [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was initially worried about that too. But had it in 90* heat without a problem.

I used packing tap on the drive side to connect to the spokes along with a round sticker behind the cassette. Then on the non-drive side, I made a twist lock connection so it is attached the the spokes. So the covers would need to come come un-taped and also twist to come off or have any flex. Helps that I have it on a 90mm wheel, so it won't have as much flex as a trainer wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more question, has anyone had luck getting DIY covers to fit on the wheels on Wheelbuilder's incompatible wheels list? I have a Fulcrum Racing wheel that I might like to try making a cover for.
Quote Reply

Prev Next