Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The rat bastards stole my bikes!
Quote | Reply
Sometime last night, some lowlifes broke into my garage and made off with 3 bikes and 2 wheels. I'm posting this just in case anyone sees the bikes and can let me know. Each, aside from the size 56 Soloist is built up fairly distinctively. Located in Goleta/Santa Barbara, California

Bike 1: 2012 Cervelo S5, size 56, white w/black,red striping. S/N SNS5C11H00109
Equipment: SRAM Red Shifters/Derailleurs, Quarq Red power meter cranks, Bontrager Aura 5 wheels, Speedplay Zero pedals, Zipp Vuka Sprint handlebars, white TriRig Omega brakes, Adamo Road Saddle

Bike 2: 2002 Cervelo Soloist, Black w/blue panels. Size 58, S/N ?
Equipment: SRAM Force/Rival shifters/derailleurs, Quarq Red power meter cranks, Zipp 101 wheels, Speedplay Zero pedals, Magura RT6C hydraulic brakes (distinctive, see attached picture), white Adamo Road saddle

Bike 3: 2002 Cervelo Soloist, Black w/blue panels, size 56, S/N 01DR00217
Equipment: SRAM Rival Components, Performance Forte Titan wheels. Crank Bros Egg Beater Pedals, grey Fizik Arionne Tri saddle

Also Stolen: 1 Zipp Super 9 Carbon Disc rear wheel, 1 Flo90 deep carbon wheel.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The rat bastards stole my bikes! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. Very disappointing. Best wishes finding them. Will keep an eye out.

GS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear! Did they steal anything else? Were the bikes visible from the outside? Wondering whether the bikes were especially targeted or the thief may not have a clue about what they got? I'll keep an eye out up North from you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NO!

they were tracking you. knew exactly what they were doing, what you had in your garage, when to strike.

any other crimes in your neighborhood?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RAT BASTARDS!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a good chance they will swap some parts around and then the bikes will show up on CL somewhere up or down I5 or maybe in Vegas or AZ. I'll look up here. Those are pretty distinct bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: The rat bastards stole my bikes! [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trirunner wrote:
Sorry to hear! Did they steal anything else? Were the bikes visible from the outside? Wondering whether the bikes were especially targeted or the thief may not have a clue about what they got? I'll keep an eye out up North from you.

Unfortunately, I think they knew what they were after. Just the 3 bikes and the 2 wheels listed above were taken. Plenty of other bikes, parts, and tools that could have been taken, but weren't.

They way they got in, it embarrasses me to say since I didn't recognize the possibility, was fairly easy. They merely punched a hole in the center window at the top of the garage door and then reached in (with probably a wire coat hanger or something) and grabbed the door opener track release. I found the garage door half open in the morning. I've since found out that this is a fairly common method of house entry these days. I've since removed the pull rope and put a zip tie through the mechanism...the door will be replaced with one with no window in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn!

Sorry Tom. I'm sure you felt violated. You are a thorough chap and I know you have feelers/monitors out in all the right places.

Quote | Reply
That SUCKS!!!!!

Hope you get your bikes back and something really bad happens to the perps.
Quote Reply
Re: The rat bastards stole my bikes! [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that, I've heard all too many stories lately about people breaking into garages to steal bikes. I started locking my bike to the wall rack (which I put epoxy over the screws to prevent them just unscrewing that) with a u-lock because really, aside from my computer, it's the only thing I really would care about losing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's terrible. Hope you get them back. Such nice bikes. I love my Cervelo.
I keep my bikes locked up even in my garage, even though the tools are all there to cut through the locks. At least it would slow them down long enough for the dogs to bark (if they weren't sound asleep and snoring)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
They way they got in, it embarrasses me to say since I didn't recognize the possibility, was fairly easy. They merely punched a hole in the center window at the top of the garage door and then reached in (with probably a wire coat hanger or something) and grabbed the door opener track release. I found the garage door half open in the morning. I've since found out that this is a fairly common method of house entry these days. I've since removed the pull rope and put a zip tie through the mechanism...the door will be replaced with one with no window in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSO_HTBHLFI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this, it sucks big time.
I am also curious, how can distinct bikes like this be sold? The only buyers would be serious athletes and they would ask some fairly uncomfortable questions from the seller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks to hear. Has your homeowners insurance been responsive?
Quote Reply
Re: The rat bastards stole my bikes! [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
That sucks to hear. Has your homeowners insurance been responsive?

So far...but, the dance has only just begun, I'm sure...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. Motherfuckers scumbags...hope they fall in a cliff with their car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huuuuughh...Sorry to hear! I hope they catch the fuckers. There is a special place in hell for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They way they got in, it embarrasses me to say since I didn't recognize the possibility, was fairly easy. They merely punched a hole in the center window at the top of the garage door and then reached in (with probably a wire coat hanger or something) and grabbed the door opener track release.

I saw that on TV a couple years ago and its pretty scary. Your average garage door with a power opener is completely unsecure and can be opened very easily by anyone who wants to get it open. The power opener is definitely not a lock. You don't even need to break a window as you can fish the coat hanger in the top of most doors. If it takes a thief more than 10 seconds to get the door open, they are a newbie.

We have had a few power failures and have actually needed to trip the release to get the door open to get our cars out. One of the power failures happened when I was out of town. If you do zip tie it, I'd suggest putting some wire cutters somewhere handy and explaining to your house mates how to get the door open . . . . ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geeze Tom - so sorry to hear this ...hope they get the "rat bastards!"

Do you have good homeowners coverage?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. People suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that's exactly why we should keep bicycles in the living room! Wait until my wife hears about this!

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gutted for you Tom !

Hope to police and insurance company can help you.

Lovely bikes especially the S5.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy crap! I just went out to my garage and sure enough, wham, a 5 second effort to get into my own garage. Need to fix that!

Tom A. wrote:
Trirunner wrote:

Unfortunately, I think they knew what they were after. Just the 3 bikes and the 2 wheels listed above were taken. Plenty of other bikes, parts, and tools that could have been taken, but weren't.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The rat bastards stole my bikes! [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that it will help Tom, but we built a cage for our nice bikes. With a pad lock etc and leave a 500$ "decoy" MTB right by the door. Not fool proof but it would add a few minutes to break both pad locks etc. Or hopefully if this ever happens they just grab the crap bike and over look the other stuff.

Sorry Tom, that sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: The rat bastards stole my bikes! [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear Tom. :(

My garage door has a deadbolt in the track that can be padlocked as well in case someone makes entry through the window/man door.

Another cheap/easy/temporary fix would be too drill a hole in the track just above a roller in the door and loop a padlock through it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next