Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page
Quote | Reply
OK, so now with the awesomeness of the Ironman Whistler all done, there are a few of us who are training (hell, almost tapering) for the Pacific Northwest's OTHER long-distance triathlon. Who here on ST is doing it? What are your reasons for choosing it over the Whistler race? Any locals with more inside information that they would/could like to share? Did Steve King announce at Whistler? Post away!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done Penticton 6 times and just did Whistler. Even if both were WTC races next year, I would not go back to Penticton. Whistler as an overall race and vacation experience was superior. If I was local to BC I would race both, but since I have to fly across the continent and pick one, I would go with Whistler. I came twice from Penticton to vacation in Whistler in the past. I just like Whistler better....nothing to do with Challenge vs WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhere in Canada, NordicSkier just destroyed a keyboard.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in!

I didn't choose Whistler because I'm *doing the double* this year -- IMMT and then Challenge Penticton the week after. :)

http://www.runningwithdoggies.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think NordicSkier just unfriended Dev on Facebook :)

Quote | Reply
Does Penticton still have a 140.6 race ;-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:

Nope. Just drinking my morning coffee, having a laugh at your post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjbruin wrote:

Hypothetically if both Whistler and Penticton were WTC or if both were Challenge, which would you do assuming the company running both provided identical amenities at each venue and the only difference is course and resort?
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
cjbruin wrote:

Hypothetically if both Whistler and Penticton were WTC or if both were Challenge, which would you do assuming the company running both provided identical amenities at each venue and the only difference is course and resort?

Dev, I totally understand the draw of Whistler. It IS nicer than Penticton as a resort town. No argument there.

But... Penticton has brilliant beaches and better weather. That's the deciding factor for me and my wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker (15+ years) and first time I've been motivated enough to post.

My wife and I will be doing Challenge this year. My second Full (first was IMC 2011) and her first. It seems odd now in the current climate where races are not selling out in minutes but even before 2011 I actually wished that the Penticton race would go independent or with an organization like Challenge. Although I had a very positive experience in 2011 I felt a little let down as the atmosphere was not the way it had been described in the mid 90's: "The best experience from Monday to Monday of any Ironman race on the planet" (sorry, can't remember the source of the quote). It was clear to me that WTC had applied a very corporate franchise-like mentality and sucked much of the local flavour out of the race. I thought that a non-WTC race would go back closer to the glory days I had read about. The idea that we wouldn't have to sign up a year in advance, lower entry fees (!?), easier access to accommodation and a swim start with say 1500 as opposed to 2500 was also very appealing.

I naively believed that there would be a couple of thousand or so like-minded individuals and that the race would be well supported, at least by previous entrants. The present situation is showing this not to be the case. At least I and the City of Penticton Council grossly underestimated the draw of the Ironman brand. I suppose I see it for the "one and done" crowd. They really want the Ironman experience, the brand recognition, the gear, the tattoo, etc, etc. I can't pass judgment on what would motivate regular long course athletes without a Kona shot to choose one brand over the other but clearly the people have spoken.

Do I regret having chosen Challenge Penticton over say, Whistler (sorry, I refuse to call it IMC)? Not one bit. I have no visibility into what actually went on when the decision was made to split Penticton and the WTC. As with everything else I'm sure there are three sides to the story: his, hers and the truth. But I do have my own opinion on what I witnessed as an outsider. When the Challenge move was announced the week of the 2012 race the WTC almost immediately announced another race to be called Ironman Canada, to be held in BC on the same day as Challenge Penticton 2013. They promoted it heavily to the athletes and volunteers already in town for the 2012 race and who presumably were prepared to sign up for the inaugural Challenge Penticton 2013. They had no details, not even a venue. It was pretty clear to me what WTC was trying to do. One could make the argument they are succeeding. I understand why, as a business, the WTC did what they did. But I don't have to like it. It's interesting to me that similar heavy handed tactics were tried in Germany but with a very different result.

Even if Penticton Town Council made a strategic error in jumping from Ironman to Challenge, I believe that the citizens and the small business owners of the City deserve better. Even from WTC. Ironman has grown into a very successful brand and business. As the site of the first North American race outside of Hawaii I think the people of Penticton had a big hand in that success. Could Graham Fraser have built the model that led to the current structure from another site? Could someone else have done the same thing elsewhere? Very possibly. But the history of the event and of the business is what it is. The businesses and especially the volunteers who supported the original Ironman Canada from Day 1 had a lot to do with the development of what is now Ironman and the WTC, in North America at least. I personally believe that they are worthy of my support. So we will travel to the Okanagan in a little under 3 weeks (not a hardship, it's one of our favourite places in the country), spend the entire week there, spend some money, show our support for the race as visibly as possible and (hopefully) have a terrific race experience on what I still find to be one of the most compelling race courses anywhere.

It would be great to meet some other Slowtwitchers there in whatever capacity. For those competing, I hope the end of you training goes well.
Tom
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and a one loop run course on wide open roads

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Tom O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom O wrote:
Long time lurker (15+ years) and first time I've been motivated enough to post.

My wife and I will be doing Challenge this year. My second Full (first was IMC 2011) and her first. It seems odd now in the current climate where races are not selling out in minutes but even before 2011 I actually wished that the Penticton race would go independent or with an organization like Challenge. Although I had a very positive experience in 2011 I felt a little let down as the atmosphere was not the way it had been described in the mid 90's: "The best experience from Monday to Monday of any Ironman race on the planet" (sorry, can't remember the source of the quote). It was clear to me that WTC had applied a very corporate franchise-like mentality and sucked much of the local flavour out of the race. I thought that a non-WTC race would go back closer to the glory days I had read about. The idea that we wouldn't have to sign up a year in advance, lower entry fees (!?), easier access to accommodation and a swim start with say 1500 as opposed to 2500 was also very appealing.

I naively believed that there would be a couple of thousand or so like-minded individuals and that the race would be well supported, at least by previous entrants. The present situation is showing this not to be the case. At least I and the City of Penticton Council grossly underestimated the draw of the Ironman brand. I suppose I see it for the "one and done" crowd. They really want the Ironman experience, the brand recognition, the gear, the tattoo, etc, etc. I can't pass judgment on what would motivate regular long course athletes without a Kona shot to choose one brand over the other but clearly the people have spoken.

Do I regret having chosen Challenge Penticton over say, Whistler (sorry, I refuse to call it IMC)? Not one bit. I have no visibility into what actually went on when the decision was made to split Penticton and the WTC. As with everything else I'm sure there are three sides to the story: his, hers and the truth. But I do have my own opinion on what I witnessed as an outsider. When the Challenge move was announced the week of the 2012 race the WTC almost immediately announced another race to be called Ironman Canada, to be held in BC on the same day as Challenge Penticton 2013. They promoted it heavily to the athletes and volunteers already in town for the 2012 race and who presumably were prepared to sign up for the inaugural Challenge Penticton 2013. They had no details, not even a venue. It was pretty clear to me what WTC was trying to do. One could make the argument they are succeeding. I understand why, as a business, the WTC did what they did. But I don't have to like it. It's interesting to me that similar heavy handed tactics were tried in Germany but with a very different result.

Even if Penticton Town Council made a strategic error in jumping from Ironman to Challenge, I believe that the citizens and the small business owners of the City deserve better. Even from WTC. Ironman has grown into a very successful brand and business. As the site of the first North American race outside of Hawaii I think the people of Penticton had a big hand in that success. Could Graham Fraser have built the model that led to the current structure from another site? Could someone else have done the same thing elsewhere? Very possibly. But the history of the event and of the business is what it is. The businesses and especially the volunteers who supported the original Ironman Canada from Day 1 had a lot to do with the development of what is now Ironman and the WTC, in North America at least. I personally believe that they are worthy of my support. So we will travel to the Okanagan in a little under 3 weeks (not a hardship, it's one of our favourite places in the country), spend the entire week there, spend some money, show our support for the race as visibly as possible and (hopefully) have a terrific race experience on what I still find to be one of the most compelling race courses anywhere.

It would be great to meet some other Slowtwitchers there in whatever capacity. For those competing, I hope the end of you training goes well.
Tom

Didn't you call it IMC above in the first paragraph! HAHAHA Just giving you a hard time.

I have been reading a lot about this topic and as a short course competitor with long course on the horizon I can say the statement you made about the "IRONMAN" brand is true. Most of my racing career I've had to explain how triathlon isn't JUST Ironman. It's by far the most widely spread and known image of triathlon. I love the Challenge license and Challenge Roth is the Kona of their series but I fear without the mass appeal of the sport here in North America Penticton will fade slowly. It's a shame because the sport could use a loosening of the WTC death grip but then again perhaps there is only enough room for one player in such a spectator unfriendly sport.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there! I am not sure what I will be doing there but I will definitely be there and am looking forward to it!

The half distance peaked my brothers interest and got him to take up triathlon. I am so proud of the hard work he and his wife have done over the past year to learn to swim. It was amazing to watch him do his first triathlon at the Peach Classic and finish with a smile on his face and stoked on the sport/lifestyle! I am excited to cheer him on and may just have to borrow the red body suit and afro wig he wore to cheer me on last year. (see below).

No Steve King at Whistler. Steve King is the best announcer period and I having him call me across the line would have made the moment even more special than it was! Michael Lovato was the announcer at Whistler and did a great job. I was super impressed. He worked like a dog all weekend and you can really see his passion for the sport!

The two main reasons I chose Whistler were: A. Because I wanted to race the best in the World and I heard Marino VanHoenacker would be there B. I thought I might be able to recover in time to race Challenge Penticton. Recovering to race Challenge seems a whole lot less likely now. It's amazing how we completely forget how rough we feel after an Ironman or any hard race.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions about Penticton or the race. Just fire them away.

Is there going to be a Slowtwitch meet up there?

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
cjbruin wrote:

I'm with you. Whistler was a great place for the race and it was cool to finally meet you out on the run course.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But IMC 2011 was Penticton, not Whistler, so not contradiction there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done ironman distance races in both Penticton and Whistler, but my wife just refused to go back to Penticton, she was often painfully bored in Penticton and it made Penticton much less enjoyable for me, but she loved spending time in Whistler. Let's not forger the "other" Pacific Northwest race- Coeure D'alene - I have done that race seven times now and it's certainly a good one- last year with Whistler in August it was pretty easy to do CDA and Whistler
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dufflite wrote:
But IMC 2011 was Penticton, not Whistler, so not contradiction there!

Fair enough ... I concede! hahaha

Good luck to all those who brave the race and let's hope there is enough interest going forward.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Folks need to really step up and come do IMLT. The Big boys race. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, there's beaches in Canada? So they're open for about what.... 2-3 weeks every summer?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Wait, there's beaches in Canada? So they're open for about what.... 2-3 weeks every summer?

Yeah, thankfully, it doesn't get warm enough to melt our igloos.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be in for an ST meet up!

I'm racing the half distance, looking forward to it (and the week of vacation after).
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting reading this dude's response and all was flowing well, until he starts going off about "wanted to race the best in the world...Marino Van..." and I started thinking who IS this guys who thinks he needs to race the best in the world, seems pretty full of, oh, wait Symonds, now that name sounds familiar, didn't he sell me my Hammergel and a couple of tubes at the Bike Barna few months back. Guess he has been working on his run a bit. I'll eat my crow now. Maybe owe ya a coffee, wait don't you have a coffee machine at the shop?

As far as a SlowTwitch meet up, how about Fibonacci, or Dogtown, at noon the Friday before the race? (August 22)

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could work. We'll be volunteering at the Kids' Race but it should be over a bit before noon.
Quote Reply
Re: The proud, the few, The Challenge Penticton page [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

That's not the case anymore thank to global warming we get at least 4 weeks! /pink

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I weighed over 360 lbs (Only reason I don't know my exact weight is because scale pegged out at 360) and was sitting on the couch watching the IRONMAN World Championship. I watched a father pull his son in a raft for 2.4 miles, then ride with him on the front of his bike for 112 miles and then push him for 26.2 miles. I got up off the couch looked at myself in the mirror and said enough is enough. 2 years later I went up to Penticton volunteered and signed up for the next year. I was so overwhelmed with what I witnessed there that it kept me going for the whole year. I completed my first Ironman race IMC in 2009. On race day I weighed in at 200lbs.

So what does that story have to do with Penticton. For me everything. In 2012 I was getting in my truck to drive up to Penticton to volunteer again and sign up for the 2013 race. My buddy texted me and said "No Ironman 2013 in Penticton". I turned my truck around and started reading the news reports. I raced Ironman Canada in Whistler in 2013. It was Ironman and the marketing and branding they did that got me off the couch and maybe help save my life. Challenge has done nothing for me or the tens of thousands that share my same story. For us Ironman is not just a brand it is what pulled us out of a very dark place. I have now completed 8 Ironman races avg time is 12:15 so you can see I am not the fastest but I am the one smiling all 11 to 12 hours. I want to thank the WTC for letting me roll into towns across the country and providing a consistent race experience.

Now for the comparison:

Whister vs Penticton as a venue: Hands down Whistler wins.
Whister vs Penticton as a race course: Penticton is a better course
Whister vs Penticton for spectators: Whistler wins I saw my family 3 times on the bike and 2 times on the run. Penticton only saw them after transition.
Whister vs Penticton for food: Whistler Wins no comparison
Whister vs Penticton as a hospitality: Whistler wins not even close
Whister vs Penticton for cost: Whistler is 50% less expensive than Penticton
Whister vs Penticton local business: Whistler was laid back Penticton was trying to get every penny out of every athlete. (accept the Bike Barn those guys there were truly incredible and fair)

If Ironman branded both races on the same day I would race Penticton. Only because it was my first race and I would love to do it again.

I get it if you are a natural born triathlete and don't need motivation to keep you going than Ironman has limited value and all of us non athletes are just in your way. I get it. But, for us average joes who need that extra inspiration IRONMAN is ticket. I just cant picture myself being a Challenged Athlete (it doesn't even sound good).

Final note: If you really cared about the city of Penticton you would boycott the race all together. Last year they lost $377,000 and with what appears as a lower turn out this year they will lose even more. It would help the city if the race was cancelled.
Last edited by: caveAllen: Jul 31, 14 11:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next