Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction"
Quote | Reply
Semitrolling here, but I've been swim-focused as of late, and was having fun with the banter in a few related ongoing swimming threads.

It did, however jog my memory as to perhaps the WORST (yet true) factoid that influence my swimming for quite a few yeras to my great detriment:

"Water has manyfold more resistance than air, so in swimming you should spend most of your time with drag reduction rather than propulsion to improve speed"

Ok, it's not verbatim from anywhere, but I got this msg from a combo of total immersion, good swimmers here on this forum, coaches, etc.

Led me to waste nearly 1.5 yrs of swimming in efforts to go from 1:55/100 to 1:30/100 by drag reduction. I literally went from 1:55 to 1:53/100 in that timeframe, earlier in my triathlon career.

** NOTE: I would NOT tell a raw beginner swimmer who's doing 2:20/100 to forget about drag - at that speed it IS all about drag reduction! I'm referring to those past those raw beginner steps where big mistakes are obvious and major, which is exactly where most MOP and BOMOP triathletes are, spending years and years swimming carefully (and not so hard) to reduce drag, and getting no faster year after year.

It wasn't until I literally said "screw drag!", and decided to focus entirely on propulsion. The drag actually seemed to take care of itself as I gradually went from 1:50 to 1:30 over the next 2 years. I won't ever be as good as a competitive pure swimmer, but it was really eye opening to see and feel what was required to go from a BBOP swimmer to a FOMOP swimmer. (I actually finished in the top 15% swim in my last race.)

Since then, I've improved my technique even more, but still with decidedly virtually noneffective results for swim times:
- Learned to ankle band, dropped my 100 time <1sec/100
- Got a lower head position; <1sec/100
- Recently fixed my dropped elbow a fair amount (video-verified), 1sec/100

Literally <4sec/100 from pure technical gains, if not <1-2sec/100 once I was faster than 1:55/100. Not one single drop greater than that. I was especially disappointed with the ankle band speed gains (despite liking its smoothness effect on technique) - I got good and smooth with it, but it just made me swim at the same speed, albeit smoother. That smoother didn't mean faster, though!

Lately, I've been reading triathlon coaching swim recs from Dixon, Sutto, etc., and all of them seem to agree with me for the intermediate and above triathlon swimmer - focus on power, muscular endurance, and avoid pure drag-reducing drills since they're pretty much useless. Swim HARD, and incorporate drills into at least moderately hard swimming (like banded swimming).

For me, this 'drag reduction to get faster' thing ranks near the top, if not the very top of worst pieces of advice I ever got in my triathlon training once I was no longer a green raw beginner swimmer.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 28, 17 19:46
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect those changes, while not making you faster directly, aided greatly in your later swim speed as you put the time in the pool. Usually with swim technique there is no immediate drop in speed. However, making those technique changes allows you to reach a greater speed potential than you could have otherwise. When I coached though I found it works best to combine both kinds of work, balancing hard sets with technique sets; you don't get faster without putting in the time.

That being said, I come from a swim background and still haven't figured out the whole ankle band thing. Not sure how useful it really is with regard to swim speed.
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing a band achieves is showing a swimmer how much their pull is moving their body in directions other than forward.
Apart from that it is just a gimmick to break up boredom.
As mentioned above, totally concentrating on technique will get you nowhere but it will help you later.

What needs to be done is good technique at good seed for short distances.
Some technique stuff only works at speed.
Speed highlights a lack of grip on the water or extensive draggy body positions.
Speed is essential.
But you do need to have enough technique to get you that speed and you also need the power to get you there.

So get good speed with good technique and then work on getting to go farther.
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
The only thing a band achieves is showing a swimmer how much their pull is moving their body in directions other than forward.

As mentioned above, totally concentrating on technique will get you nowhere but it will help you later.

Speed highlights a lack of grip on the water or extensive draggy body positions.
Speed is essential.
But you do need to have enough technique to get you that speed and you also need the power to get you there.

I agree with you on the band, and with the OP that drag reduction is not really fundamental, it is perhaps a by product of fundamentals. Trying to reverse engineer an exceptional swim stroke starting at drag reduction is ill advised.

Speed is indeed a potent teacher. I would take it further to assert that we need to cease drawing a categorical line between conditioning and technique.

In my opinion, many prominent coaches’ views of what constitutes "technique work" is crucially limited -- at least in terms of giving guidance to the world at large who hang on their tweets and blogs. Instead of separating "drills" from "toys", and "training" from "technique", they seem to force a choice between the two. I maintain that there is NO DIFFERENCE between proper training and technique instruction, even at the far faster than 1:30 per 100 meter level of performance. But when we start calling things "drills", some coaches get very rigid.

For myself, rather than throw out the drill, I throw out the term: I prefer to call them "activities". "Proper Training" is providing the appropriate stimulus to the body at the appropriate time. Things that can provide technical stimulus are many, and include the staples that it seems many world class coaches favor including paddles, buoys and high volume sets (5k+ yards/meters)

However, if you look past drills that are largely inappropriate such as the chicken wing, head-touch, finger-tip drag, and perhaps catch-up free (I dislike catch-up, many coaches favor it. Take your pick) -- there are many more that can enhance your abilities. To name but a few:
· Speed-play,
· Breathing pattern work,
· Kick sets,
· Complex drills that combine kicking and pulling in various combinations,
· One-arm freestyle (AKA -The one drill to control them all!)

All of these, and others, are potent and useful, and can be used to condition as well as improve technique. Heck, going a 5,000 straight swim is technique work if you use it properly (don't let yourself fall to pieces, or why not negative split it?). GOOD COACHES contrive stimulating workout activities, often without even having that as their objective. Good coaches use tools and drills like pharmaceuticals, they get the DOSE-RESPONSE relationship right.

Rejecting "technique work" as being synonymous with "do slow 25s while having your coach correct your stroke" is a limited view of training, conditioning, and skill development. It's also pretty darn low in terms of effectiveness. It absolutely, positively time that we got past having a classical, 100 meter freestyle-centric view of "proper technique". But that's not all. It's also time that we stopped looking at "conditioning" and "technique" as two separate entities. They are inextricably linked and the best among us have always acknowledged that on a sub-conscious level. Perhaps it is time that we started to acknowledge it consciously.

Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Oct 28, 17 20:28
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Speed is essential.

I agree with you on the band, and with the OP that drag reduction is not really fundamental, it is perhaps a by product of fundamentals. Trying to reverse engineer an exceptional swim stroke starting at drag reduction is ill advised.

Speed is indeed a potent teacher. I would take it further to assert that we need to cease drawing a categorical line between conditioning and technique.

In my opinion, many prominent coaches’ views of what constitutes "technique work" is crucially limited -- at least in terms of giving guidance to the world at large who hang on their tweets and blogs. Instead of separating "drills" from "toys", and "training" from "technique", they seem to force a choice between the two. I maintain that there is NO DIFFERENCE between proper training and technique instruction, even at the far faster than 1:30 per 100 meter level of performance. But when we start calling things "drills", some coaches get very rigid.

For myself, rather than throw out the drill, I throw out the term: I prefer to call them "activities". "Proper Training" is providing the appropriate stimulus to the body at the appropriate time. Things that can provide technical stimulus are many, and include the staples that it seems many world class coaches favor including paddles, buoys and high volume sets (5k+ yards/meters)

However, if you look past drills that are largely inappropriate such as the chicken wing, head-touch, finger-tip drag, and perhaps catch-up free (I dislike catch-up, many coaches favor it. Take your pick) -- there are many more that can enhance your abilities. To name but a few:
· Speed-play,
· Breathing pattern work,
· Kick sets,
· Complex drills that combine kicking and pulling in various combinations,
· One-arm freestyle (AKA -The one drill to control them all!)

All of these, and others, are potent and useful, and can be used to condition as well as improve technique. Heck, going a 5,000 straight swim is technique work if you use it properly (don't let yourself fall to pieces, or why not negative split it?). GOOD COACHES contrive stimulating workout activities, often without even having that as their objective. Good coaches use tools and drills like pharmaceuticals, they get the DOSE-RESPONSE relationship right.

Rejecting "technique work" as being synonymous with "do slow 25s while having your coach correct your stroke" is a limited view of training, conditioning, and skill development. It's also pretty darn low in terms of effectiveness. It absolutely, positively time that we got past having a classical, 100 meter freestyle-centric view of "proper technique". But that's not all. It's also time that we stopped looking at "conditioning" and "technique" as two separate entities. They are inextricably linked and the best among us have always acknowledged that on a sub-conscious level. Perhaps it is time that we started to acknowledge it consciously.

One thing I have noticed about swimming at speed and it related to may aviation/aerospace days and it's about airfoils and stall speeds and in this case hydrofoils and stall speeds and it relates to doing drills/drag reduction but doing it at speed. Since the body is a collection of surfaces and like an airplane you have along the X axis propulsion moving you forward and drag retarding your motion, and you also have lift in the Y axis and weight pulling you down....but the lift in the Y axis is only enabled by enough Propulsion minus Drag in the X axis and in the case of the bad swimmer moving slowly they have bad lift, huge drag and limited propulsion...all of this to say you can't have good drag reduction which comes from better lift minus weight without great propulsion....some of that is technique, but man it helps to have a massive engine too. Slowman wrote about that a long time ago in the "high cost of good form".

original article 2004, reprint 2012: http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Good_Form_3273.html

It's just easier teaching athletes in any sport who already have a big engine....they can just hold the form easier at a lower capacity of their threshold.
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why are catch up free and fingertip drag useless? My stroke is fastest when I essentially swim lazy catch up. Not trying to argue, I'm legitimately curious.

I understand what you're saying with drills though. When I coached, I made sure that I only had my swimmers do drills that I fully understood the purpose of, and I did my best to explain not just the drill, but why. I hated it when coaches just had us do drills without explaining why back when I swam club.
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lightheir the ‘technique ‘ improvements you talk about all reduce drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as your technique isn't horrible I'd agree to some point. As you swim faster you will sit higher in the water, you just need fitness to sustain that power, most people can swim 50m faster than 1;30/100m pace, so it's an endurance problem not speed.
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Why are catch up free and fingertip drag useless? My stroke is fastest when I essentially swim lazy catch up. Not trying to argue, I'm legitimately curious.

Fingertip drag attempts to establish early vertical forearm through a high elbow recovery. Not the best way to go about it, as what happens above the water doesn't have a large effect on what happens below.

Catch up is fundamentally anti kick timing, and timing is everything.

No doubt some swimmers and coaches use both of these to good effect. You mention swimming faster in a catch up style, and I certainly believe you. I interpret that as a clue to what you need to work on, not as an endorsement for catch up style. But I don't know you, and you could be a perfect facsimile of Sun Yang, so catch up my friend!

I do not teach a single, correct, style of swimming. My intention is to stimulate athletes to find their own optimal stroke technique. That's not to say there are not commonalities - techniques that optimize propulsion and minimize effort – there most certainly are, but rather than focusing on a single end-goal of precise form, I strive to develop the core competencies and develop the athletes ability to integrate multiple competencies into a stroke that works for them.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Oct 29, 17 3:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Fingertip drag attempts to establish early vertical forearm through a high elbow recovery. Not the best way to go about it, as what happens above the water doesn't have a large effect on what happens below.

Catch up is fundamentally anti kick timing, and timing is everything.

No doubt some swimmers and coaches use both of these to good effect. You mention swimming faster in a catch up style, and I certainly believe you. I interpret that as a clue to what you need to work on, not as an endorsement for catch up style. But I don't know you, and you could be a perfect facsimile of Sun Yang, so catch up my friend!

I do not teach a single, correct, style of swimming. My intention is to stimulate athletes to find their own optimal stroke technique. That's not to say there are not commonalities - techniques that optimize propulsion and minimize effort – there most certainly are, but rather than focusing on a single end-goal of precise form, I strive to develop the core competencies and develop the athletes ability to integrate multiple competencies into a stroke that works for them.

Findingfreestlye, in terms of catch up and timing, I have been trying to do recovery catch ups in between free or fly 25m sprints where I do a slow catch up with a 2 beat kick. I think I know what you mean by catch up being contrary to good timing because most people just cheat and kick like crazy often out of sync with what they do in real swimming (for instance, I could cover the entire pool in 2 strokes just kicking on one side for half the pool, doing one catch up stroke and finishing the length on the other side....that's an extreme example of catch up drill cheating and pausing at the stroke finish and kick-gliding excessively). But with a 2 beat, that is essentially half a dolphin kick timing from fly, I find there is no cheating and the timing stays on track....correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are an adult onset tri guy without the loose shoulders of lifetime swimmers, what you do above the water certainly does very much influence what your body does under the water. A very common sight at tri group swimming.

Everybody has a different morphology and part of that is their own moments of inertia and righting in the water..
Differing limb/body proportions and weights will decide a lot how a body wants to move around.
Those different moment forces will decide the timing of the stroke to some extent so prescribing catchup does nothing for each individual to learn their own.
Timing also changes with speed as lift changes and momentum increases.
Even the catch is basically a distance thing so it happens much quicker relative to whole stroke time when going faster so your glide effectively gets shorter.

Where catchup is useful is . . . , oh crap, it's not very useful at all once past the beginner phase........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another good way to feel the drag and thus reduce it is swimming with fins so the speed magnifies the drag one feels on the body. High level; swimmers use a cable over the pool to pull them along at world class speed to feel the drag and adjust accordingly, so fins can somewhat accomplish that same thing with many of us.
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

whoa, there, cowboy. where's an analogy that sort of fits? how about: the only thing complimenting your wife achieves is showing her that you are a considerate person. (that's a minor thing?)

i've seen here constantly over the last 15 years swimmers complaining of the exact opposite described by the OP: work on fitness and strength only to see no real swim progress. do you, or does anyone, honestly believe that the difference between a swimmer who consistently, easily clocks sub-1-minute 100s versus one who barely can go half that fast is power and fitness?

yes! that is precisely what banded swimming proves! how much you're swimming in some direction other than forward! but more precisely, what it uncovers is not that you're swimming left or right, or up or down, but that (most likely) the tortuous gyration you make when you breathe can only be counteracted by a wide splay of your legs during your kick, and banding the legs together uncovers this, and very quickly allows you to determine what to do to your stroke that keeps your banded legs from fishtailing like an eel.

faith without works is dead, brother. but you get to heaven by grace alone. neither of these truths is mooted by the other. to concentrate on one, disdaining the other, is how holy wars get started. technique without fitness is dead. but you don't get to heaven by fitness alone.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Dev, there's nothing wrong with doing a little catch, up recovery style, with a 2 beat kick. Certainly easier to maintain proper kick timing that way. Swimming catch up faster and with a 4 or 6 beat kick, makes proper kick timing difficult.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Oct 29, 17 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
If you are an adult onset tri guy without the loose shoulders of lifetime swimmers, what you do above the water certainly does very much influence what your body does under the water. A very common sight at tri group swimming.

And that'a fine. Like I said, plenty of coaches and swimmers probably get a lot of mileage out of finger tip drag. For me, it is somewhat akin to teaching a single, correct style of swimming, which I don't believe in and I don't do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Yeah Dev, there's nothing wrong with doing a little catch, up recovery style, with a 2 beat kick. Certainly easier to maintain proper kick timing that way. Swimming catch up faster and with a 4 or 6 beat kick, makes proper kick timing difficult.

I found catch up largely useless for multiple decades until I started working on butterfly this year and then started doing one armed fly with dolphin kick as a drill and 2 beat catch up freestyle with 2 beat as a drill. In both cases timing was maintained between finishing the kick with a flick of the angle and upper body movement. If I watch fish the flick of the fin affects how their core moves and vice versa, but how that tail fin moves is critically integrated. Once the kick timing is off, it's like the fish whose tail fin is out of sync and that's basically a dead fish ready to be eaten.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts on learning to swim "relatively" fast (ie sub 1:15/100y at threshold) as an adult-onset swimmer in order from most to least importance.

1. Frequency. I think getting in 4 swim workouts a week for a sustained period of time is the minimum necessary to acquire a good feel for the water.
2. Swimming fast while working on a high elbow and deep pull. Once you get a strong pull, all the other things (head position, hip rotation, breathing) will start to fall in place.
3. Volume. Sure, you can become a decent mid pack swimmer off of 8000 yards. No one who is swimming in the front pack in any distance is swimming this little unless they swam as a kid. My sweet spot is 14000-18000y per week.
4. Backing off on your other sports intensity while you are trying to make gains in swimming. When you are hammering hard bike and run workouts, your swim training will certainly suffer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. And I went through the same process. I went looking for a transcript, but could not find it sadly, of an interview with Phelps where they asked him if he ever considered drag. He said, basically, no; that all he considered was trying to move as much water as possible. Phelps, of course, was not a "front-quadrant" swimmer and front-quadrant swimming is dead at the elite level (many world records later).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that was the same interview where he talked about Bowman encouraging him to finish the stroke more, and Michael thought he was slower when he did - they put it to the clock and Michael was right. Can't find it anywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably. All part of the same overall approach to swimming: Move. More. Water! At some point, there's clearly a diminishing return to stroke length. If you're spending another fraction of a second finishing the stroke and moving very little water, I can see why it'd just be better to finish and take another stroke. You want to maximize the amount of time in which you are moving the most water.

basically the same argument against front-qaudrant. If that hand is out front helping you "glide" it's not moving water. Too long at the front and too long at the back both are representative of the same problem.

And, of course, for open water swimming, this is especially compounded which is why stroke rate is so critical.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

whoa, there, cowboy. where's an analogy that sort of fits? how about: the only thing complimenting your wife achieves is showing her that you are a considerate person. (that's a minor thing?)

i've seen here constantly over the last 15 years swimmers complaining of the exact opposite described by the OP: work on fitness and strength only to see no real swim progress. do you, or does anyone, honestly believe that the difference between a swimmer who consistently, easily clocks sub-1-minute 100s versus one who barely can go half that fast is power and fitness?

yes! that is precisely what banded swimming proves! how much you're swimming in some direction other than forward! but more precisely, what it uncovers is not that you're swimming left or right, or up or down, but that (most likely) the tortuous gyration you make when you breathe can only be counteracted by a wide splay of your legs during your kick, and banding the legs together uncovers this, and very quickly allows you to determine what to do to your stroke that keeps your banded legs from fishtailing like an eel.

faith without works is dead, brother. but you get to heaven by grace alone. neither of these truths is mooted by the other. to concentrate on one, disdaining the other, is how holy wars get started. technique without fitness is dead. but you don't get to heaven by fitness alone.

Despite your seemingly reasonable 'it's BOTH technique and fitness', the point of my thread is that at least to me, in terms of TRAINING it, it's massively power/propulsion weighted, like over 90% emphasis on power/propulsion to improve. It is NOT some midway mix of drag reduction with power - it's almost ALL power/propulsion once you're faster than a beginner swimmer.

In terms of your sub-1 minute 100 swimmer vs a 1:30-1:50 swimmer, I would say the VAST majority of the difference is power. I've made this point repeatedly in the past, but that sub-1 swimmer could literally intentionally do EVERYTHING wrong - swim head out of water tarzan style, splay their kick scissoring every stroke, and do both of those while stroking with only one arm with the other wrapped behind their back, and they would STILL beat the 1:50 swimmer who's TI-style super smooth and level in the water. It probably won't even be close, honestly - that sub-1 swimmer will slow to 1:30ish pace, and still destroy the heck out of that 1:50 'pretty' swimmer.

At the same time NOTHING that 1:40-1:50 swimmer will get them even close to 1:20 without a huge propulsion/fitness bump. No streamlining, no EVF, nothing will do it. And no, they won't even come close - they'll get like 1-2 sec/100 and that's it from drag and technique without a fitness gain.

To this day as well, I have never seen a 'powerful swimmer' with such bad technique that I felt they were a 1:20 or below capacity swimmer but dragged down to 1:40+ (or MOPish) paces. Not a single one. I have def seen plenty of MOP swimmer with ugly form limiters that did cost them 1-5sec/100, but for sure, the reason they weren't making the FOP was not their bad technique or drag as a main factor - it was their lack of power by FAR. Just look at their turnover rate as the simplest example compared to a 'fast' swimmer - it's usually nearly 1.5-2x slower, and that's not because they are choosing such a slow cadence - they just cant' turnover any faster. That's a fitness, not form issue. You don't see MOP swimmers thrashing through a 3000 yd set at powerful 100-120 strokes/minute with ugly form, ever - they'll be at 45-60, or exactly where a slower/weaker swimmer would be.

In terms of those MOPers who say they train a ton, have great fitness, but don't get any faster - I disagree with all of that. They THINK they train a ton, but in reality their volume is wayyyy lower than a competitive swimmer, AND they swim a lot less hard when it counts compared to the good ones. I seriously doubt these swimmers are stuck at 1:40/100 because of flaw errors - stick 'em with a hardcore swim-power group like Sutto, and they'll bust through their so-called training limitations. (I admittedly fall into this category, as I rarely hit 20k/wk of swimming.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also very important that - given the duration of even the shortest triathlon swim - technique without substantial fitness to underpin it is useless.

I've seen lots of folks who have reasonable technique for 25m but who have poor technique for 250m and terrible technique for 2500m.

I'd much prefer average technique that remains average for the entire swim than great technique that quickly devolves into subpar technique.

And that's really the fundamental of the brute force swimming "technique" approach. Once you hit the point of having technique that is "good enough," the best bang-for-the-buck investment is surely in developing the ability to sustain that technique.

Everyone I know who focuses on fitness makes measurable improvements *in races,* even if their improvements in the pool are quite modest. In some cases, they don't swim any faster, BUT they start the bike much, much more fresh and are therefore able to race to their fitness levels on the bike much more effectively.

On the flipside, I know plenty of people who focus heavily on technique. They sometimes - but not always - make improvements in the pool. But these improvements often do not translate to races/open water and they end up no faster.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Slowman wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Despite your seemingly reasonable 'it's BOTH technique and fitness', the point of my thread is that at least to me, in terms of TRAINING it, it's massively power/propulsion weighted, like over 90% emphasis on power/propulsion to improve. It is NOT some midway mix of drag reduction with power - it's almost ALL power/propulsion once you're faster than a beginner swimmer.

In terms of your sub-1 minute 100 swimmer vs a 1:30-1:50 swimmer, I would say the VAST majority of the difference is power. I've made this point repeatedly in the past, but that sub-1 swimmer could literally intentionally do EVERYTHING wrong - swim head out of water tarzan style, splay their kick scissoring every stroke, and do both of those while stroking with only one arm with the other wrapped behind their back, and they would STILL beat the 1:50 swimmer who's TI-style super smooth and level in the water. It probably won't even be close, honestly - that sub-1 swimmer will slow to 1:30ish pace, and still destroy the heck out of that 1:50 'pretty' swimmer.

At the same time NOTHING that 1:40-1:50 swimmer will get them even close to 1:20 without a huge propulsion/fitness bump. No streamlining, no EVF, nothing will do it. And no, they won't even come close - they'll get like 1-2 sec/100 and that's it from drag and technique without a fitness gain.

To this day as well, I have never seen a 'powerful swimmer' with such bad technique that I felt they were a 1:20 or below capacity swimmer but dragged down to 1:40+ (or MOPish) paces. Not a single one. I have def seen plenty of MOP swimmer with ugly form limiters that did cost them 1-5sec/100, but for sure, the reason they weren't making the FOP was not their bad technique or drag as a main factor - it was their lack of power by FAR. Just look at their turnover rate as the simplest example compared to a 'fast' swimmer - it's usually nearly 1.5-2x slower, and that's not because they are choosing such a slow cadence - they just cant' turnover any faster. That's a fitness, not form issue. You don't see MOP swimmers thrashing through a 3000 yd set at powerful 100-120 strokes/minute with ugly form, ever - they'll be at 45-60, or exactly where a slower/weaker swimmer would be.

In terms of those MOPers who say they train a ton, have great fitness, but don't get any faster - I disagree with all of that. They THINK they train a ton, but in reality their volume is wayyyy lower than a competitive swimmer, AND they swim a lot less hard when it counts compared to the good ones. I seriously doubt these swimmers are stuck at 1:40/100 because of flaw errors - stick 'em with a hardcore swim-power group like Sutto, and they'll bust through their so-called training limitations. (I admittedly fall into this category, as I rarely hit 20k/wk of swimming.)

i just don't agree. if you take a person who's been religiously swimming masters, who swims 15,000 yards a week or more (not someone who self-hypnotizes 15,000, but someone who is reliably, religiously in the pool), and swims in the 1:40 lane, and some fatty who swam in high school and has a midlife crisis jumps in, by the time mr (or ms) high school swimmer has been at it for 4 weeks he or she will be repeating in the 1:20 lane (or faster).

you can set up a straw man, the fictitious swimmer with good technique who is a slacker in training. but i'm saying if you take someone who swam competitively since HS, and an adult onset swimmer who swims 1:15 in an ironman, they both swim 12,000 yards a week and have been for a year, the difference is almost entirely technique, and that's a huge difference in speed. i only say almost because the good swimmer is training his muscles to perform good technique, whereas the super duper fit average swimmer remains largely untrained in certain muscles necessary to swim fast. but him doubling his yardage isn't going to make him substantially faster unless he lucks or intuits himself into better technique.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The one factoid that really killed my swim progress - "Water gives manyfold more resistance than air, so you should spend most of your time on drag reduction" [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with you Dan. When I swim when the kids swim team is swimming, and 10 year olds are just killing me, clearly they do not have the strength, but boy do they have the technique. I have family members who were swimmers as kids, and have the technique. When we do some lake swim where I live, they kill me at the beginning since once you have the technique, you never lose it. But, after a while, because they have lost the endurance, I have a chance to catch up to them.

I was clearly faster when I swam masters 5 days a week. But, for the amount of time it takes to save that 1 to 2 minutes on the swim, just is not worth it too me.
Would rather focus on my bike, and run since the only time I seem to get beat by top swimmers in a race is when it is sprint distance.

I am enjoying already the end of my swim training. Nice to eliminate a few hours from training per week for a few months.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And all I'm saying is that that technique difference is largely rhythm and timing, which are a couple things that do not lend themselves well to "hey watch me swim and tell me what I am doing wrong" types of inquires. We always hear "you're pulling too wide" or "your turnover is too slow" but seldom "your kick is a little early" or "you are initiating your breath a little late". Those types of timing issues are going to to be the key difference between mr. adult onset and mr. high school swimmer both knocking out 12k weekly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next