Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon,
I just picked up my P5 three with Dura Ace two days ago and have a few questions:

1. Why the change from Dura Ace to SRAM?
2. I am looking for an 'upgrade kit' to include the wider front fork, front brake cover and Aduro aerobar from the six. Do you have plans to sell such a package and if so, when and how much? I would have bought a P5 six red if it were available when I first ordered.

Thanks for any info.
Last edited by: Jon70: Sep 13, 12 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Jon70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon70,

1. Why not? Folks who were ordering Shimano tended toward Di2 so now both are available.

2. If you are looking for any additional parts. I am sure there will be something available to you. Order through your Cervélo retailer and don't expect anything until November.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Texas too. Being told next year for a 56 P5-6.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,

Are the yet to ship 51s going to be P5-6 or 3?

Regards,
Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both are yet to ship. I know that is not likely what you are asking but, I will do my best to get accurate info to your shop on your specific order.

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon, simple one today. Do you have to determine which bar you want -- XLo, Low or Hi-V -- prior to ordering? I thought so but saw a picture somewhere of included parts that made me think that the bars were composed of interchangeable included parts so that you could, for instance, turn the Low configuration into the Hi-V.

Thanks once again.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [goodacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi good,

Every P5 ships with both Low and High-V bar configurations. Only the X-Low is not included; it's available for purchase separately.

Have a good weekend,

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

..... Every P5 ships with both Low and High-V bar configurations ......
Cheers,

That's cool. Did not know that.
THX for the info
Last edited by: Johnek: Sep 14, 12 5:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They call it " strategy".

I call it a big mess!

How they release a product and are not capable to feed the market properly?
Very disappointed.

I'm quite sure i won't ride a P6 (or any other cervélo bike).
Last edited by: danielblois: Sep 14, 12 5:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much extra does the x-low cost?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [danielblois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no base bar Di2 shifters with the 6 version? That is a major bummer and could be a deal breaker for me.

Deciding between P5 and SC. I can get base bar Di2 shifters on the SC.

Cervelo messed up one of the best features of the Di2. Not good.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slick wrote:
So no base bar Di2 shifters with the 6 version? That is a major bummer and could be a deal breaker for me.

Deciding between P5 and SC. I can get base bar Di2 shifters on the SC.

Cervelo messed up one of the best features of the Di2. Not good.

You could always just do this: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4148181#4148181
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to spend 10k for a bike and then immediately have to jerryrig it with a suboptimal solution.

Everyone I know who has the base bar Di2 shifters loves them. We ride the bikes a lot more in training than races. Early on in long rides we spend a lot of time on the base bars just chatting and warming up. Also I ride a lot of hills and primarily use the base bars.

Did they rush it to market too fast? They will lose sales because of this. Like mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that it's not optimal but one of the major selling points of the bike is the hydraulic brakes. I wouldn't have di2 on a TT bike if I didn't have base bar shifters but if I was spending 10k on a bike that comes with hydraulic brakes, I would want the hydraulic brakes and would put up with the makeshift shifters.

Did they rush it too the market? I don't think so (at least in terms of the basebar shifters). Their only other option would have been to get magura to make di2 compatible brake levers which I'm sure shimano would have a problem with, or wait for shimano to come out with hydraulic brakes which they probably couldn't have helped design to make them work well with their bike. Even if they are losing sales because of this they probably aren't too worried at the moment since they can't make them fast enough right now and by the time it slows down there may be another solution.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had a problem with their hydraulic brakes? I've had my P5-3 for 2 weeks and have a problem with the front brake. Namely a fluid leak at the lever, up inside the housing. My lbs bled it twice and checked all connections, it's fine for about 24 hours, then the lever goes all the way to the bar. They have contacted Magura to get a replacement.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [borncrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New to the forum but I have been watching this develop over months. Hope to but a P5 six for next season. I have been riding Felt with Zipp bull bars and Di2 on bull bars and extensions. I really like having shifters on the bull bars . My assumption was to do the following - perhaps Damon can confirm if this is possible. I rarely shift the front derailleur so 1 shifter on extension enough for front. I need shifter for rear derailleur so plan would be to shift the Magura hydraulic brake lever to the left side and swap the cable lever for the rear brake, now on the right side for Di2 integrated unit. This gives shifting for rear derailleur in 2 positions and front derailleur on extension only but also retains the hydraulic brake. If it isnt possible to switch hydraulic brake lever then its not a deal braker since you could have the rear shifter on the left side but would prefer it on the right. Can anyone confirm if this is possible. Thanks.
Last edited by: Pinny: Sep 16, 12 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Pinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon

I've been trying to find out (from the stack / reach chart) which frame and bar combo is going to get me to my current position (with room to go longer). I've measured by arm pad stack as 565mm and my arm pad reach as 460mm.

566mm is the closest on the chart and that seems to put me on a 51cm frame with the "Low" bar, giving me an arm pad reach of between 456mm and 506mm. But I'm a bit confused by the numbers indicated in the adjacent "X-Lo" column. That seems to indicate that if I switched to the X-Lo bars (on the same frame) the shortest reach I could get would be 494mm, so 38mm further out. How can that be right?

The figures showing the three bars overlayed in the White Paper seems to indicate that the pads are aligned verticially with each other irrespective of choice of bars.

The numbers in the colomns for the Low and High V (for each frame) are the same, but they change for the X-Lo, so are the pads connections on the X-Lo further out than the Low and High-V?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon, still trying to fine tune my selection of bike size and bar. Deciding between 56 and 58. Just read your article on crank length on Cervelo website, and in it you say "for nearly all athletes, a lower bar means lower aero drag."

I think this is similar to what you told me in the post I'm responding to: "For the same arm pad stack, we've not been able to measure any aero difference between the P5's frame sizes." I'm assuming that means that a 56 with 8 fork spacers would have the same drag as a 58 with 4 spacers, or whatever the difference would be to make the bars on the two bikes come to the same height. Is this right?

And here's my second question -- Is it bar height or pad height that is critical factor? If it's bar height, then I guess I'd be better off using the low bar (or better yet the Hi-V) as opposed to XLo because I could get the bar lower with the same effective pad height.

Thank you once again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi slick,

Yes, it was heartbreaking to have to make this decision for us, too. However, if you get a chance to ride a P5 with Magura's brakes I think you'll like them. On any kind of curvy course (say, the final time trial in this year's Giro, for example) excellent brakes can help you go faster. That's in addition to the aero speed increase.

We considered some kind of Di2 wiring kit, but in the end a company like Cervelo can't waive Shimano's warranty on a large number of bikes. But you can on yours. The mods are pretty straight forward and well documented on the net. Savvy bike shops have no problems rigging up very nice Di2 shifting from the Magura levers.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hypersteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi hyper,

Good idea to contact Magura. They have an excellent network of great technical support. The hydraulic system in your RT TT brakes is essentially the same as their other hydraulic rim brakes (think European city bikes) that have been in service for years. All the small parts are interchangeable and the fluid and bleed kit are the same too. Magura should easily be able to get you and your bike shop sorted!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Pinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Pinny,

It's all possible exactly as you describe.

Hydraulic front brake and lever, front Di2 shifting only on the aero bar's extension.
Mechanical rear brake and lever, rear shifting on both the extension and base bar.

The Magura levers are ambidextrous - they are neither right nor left but fit either hand so each one can be installed on either side of the base bar.

You'd just need to buy the TRP cable-operated rear brake to go with your Shimano brake lever. Have your Cervelo retailer contact our sales guys for details on that.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [keef_zip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi keef,

Good eye! You noticed reach is slightly longer on the X-Low.

Two reasons:

1. Extending the reach puts the arm pad bolts ahead of the base bar so X-Low can be a few millimeters lower.
2. Most X-Low athletes are pros or very fast riders who fit like pros and want the extra reach.

The CAD figures in the white paper show an earlier concept of the X-Low that never went into production; the reach numbers in the chart are correct.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [goodacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi good,

You're exactly right, and I'm sorry for the sloppy wording. You understand it perfectly, I'm referring to the pad height (and thus the rider's frontal area).

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same situation... been waiting for a 51 since the announcement of the P5... situation was made worse by an accident that wrecked my P3C in May so I've spent the entire season racing one of MBK's old bikes (very nice of her to loan me a frame!), however, I am eager to get fit on the P5 and start training on it for Ironman Arizona.

My LBS (Pacific Bicycle in SF) has heard a variety of dates from Cervelo from late Spring to July and then most recently early September (date now passed!).

I really want to start training on a well fit tri bike at the beginning of October... I just need to know whether Cervelo can get me a 51 P5 by October 1.

Of course, yes is the best answer, but the second best answer is a *quick no* so I can make alternative plans (buy a P3 frame, find another brand) to ensure that I can prep for IMAZ appropriately.

Thanks,
JB
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jordanac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I walked into Bicycle Connection in Metairie, LA this week and to my suprise a 54 and 56 P5 were in stock with one on display. I was not a huge fan of the P5 from photos but I have to say it is much sexier in person.
Last edited by: PaintIt: Sep 21, 12 5:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next