Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As with the poser above me, after a few years of lusting/consideration, I went my not so local bike shop today and paid up for a 2014 P5 DA9000 mechanical. I am beyond excited. They threw in a free Retul fit to sweeten the deal, and I will get that sorted in the next couple of weeks hopefully. It would appear I more towards a 58 frame, but maybe a 56, so am glad I didn't just buy the 56 without researching things first.

I'll get some photos of her up here in a few weeks when I hopefully have the bike at home, but hey, it's a 2014 P5 - you know what it's going to look like!

They wanted an extra £1000 ($1500 or so) for Di2, which to me makes no sense. I have a SRM pwoermeter crank and the brakes will be the Maguras, and I also have the cassette. So, I need the FD, RD and buttons for the tri bars, along with battery and wiring. Got to be cheaper than that to buy it later in the year and do it myself? Anyone have any experience as to how easy it is to install? I am handy with a wrench on mechanical and have done all my own servicing for years, but never built a Di2.

Other question is what do you guys do for using the front aero bottle drinks holder along with a Garmin 810 or 1000? I have seen a few after market solutions that might work with the Garmin mounted ontop of the cage. Anyone used one?

Also, for any Tubular users out there, how do you carry your spare tub in a race? I am thinking it will be too big for the secret pocket in the frame, but is there an elegant solution, or is it a case of just taping it somewhere. One would maybe fit in the bento box accessory but then I have nowhere for gels...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon

I have a P5-3 black with the matte finish - are P5-6 fork upgrades still available? What is included in the upgrade kit? How do I order one?

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rjmaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not Damon, but I did order a kit a while back.

In the kit is the fork, bars, fairings. If they are still available, you contact your local Cervelo dealer, give them the size of your bike because the fairings are size specific, they can look it up in the computer.

My upgrade kit was around 1600. YMMV

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon does not work at Cervélo anymore, and I do thus not know if he's still
going to give his expertise regarding P5 in this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told last summer/fall that they are no longer available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There may be some out there, but they are no longer being produced/sold be Cervelo.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Bob,

Since we started offering the P5 with just the Tri set up -- or a P5 Six -- we stopped producing the aero upgrade kit. However, I think there are some still floating around out there. Feel free to PM me and we can discuss the best way to track one down in your area.

In the future, we'll have a UCI legal version of the fork and only offer the P5 with the full Tri set up.

Thank you,

David Byer
Cervélo
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David can you get in touch with me and help locate a kit? my email is rjmaki777@gmail.com

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ref P5 (6)...

Has any one done or tried the following with the Aduro..

Using Low Mount....then used arm rest pad risers/spacers to increase pad to base bar height... Vs using the high mount or fork spacers....& if so which riser kit did you use?

&/or

Tried using another integrated bar/stem set-up Vs Aduro....

Reason i ask;

Trying to create more pad adjustment in terms of more specific height adjustment (my forks have already been cut at the lowest position) & also to gain adjustment in the pad rests up/down (tilt as per adjustement in ENVE aerobars)

Any thoughts appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ceril sneer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two quick question for anyone at Cervelo or for anyone who has some experience with the Cervelo P5 3T Aduro Basebar recall.

I bought a second hand Cervelo P5-6 with the Aduro aerobars. The bars are currently in the low setup with most of the spacers in place but I have the High V part too and at some point I may start using the High V position and remove some spacers. I am the second owner. The bike has never been checked for the aduro aerobar recall, it is a 2013 P5-6 red bought in January 2013.

1. I spoke with my local cervelo dealer and I was told that if my bike was part of the recall inorder for them swap out the basebar and work on the bike I would have to be the original owner or I would have to have the original receipt. Is this true? I am the second owner and I do not have the original receipt. But I also dont want to pay the bike shop to swap the bar out for a recall that should be covered.
2. If I am affected by the recall but I cant get the bar swapped out am I in danger of riding the bike in the low setup? (my understanding was that the recall was mainly a issue when the high v setup was used)

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know.
The bike is getting shipped to me soon so the handle bars should be off and easy for me to check the serial number. What serial number is part of the recall again? I have read two different serial number ranges on here.
I don't want to ride a bike that could be dangerous and I dont really believe my local shop that this would only be covered if I'm the original owner.
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [surftrunks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not be surprised if your lbs is correct. I had a P4 and was the second owner. There was a crack in the frame near the seat post due to a design or manufacturing defect (a number of these frames had the same problem). My lbs said that it was not covered as I was not the original owner. They refused to even consider submitting it to Cervelo. I then contacted Cervelo and was told not to ride the frame and, also, that they would not take care of it since I was not an original owner.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having a hard time even imagining that this would come as new information. I don't think there's a single bike company with a transferable warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were it a cosmetic or other non-safety issue I would agree. Where it is a safety issue it seems irresponsible for a manufacturer to not deal with the end user, original purchaser or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you have the present owner deal with it before you receive it? It would seem that is the prudent thing to do.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should of but the bike has already been shipped. The first owner wasn't aware of the recall and his local shop where he bought the bike from and got it serviced never mentioned the recall to him either. Can anyone from Cervelo help me out here? I don't want to ride a bike that may be dangerous...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The recall is a bit old now, but all Cervelo dealers had a list/range of serial numbers for recalled bikes. This wasn't too hard to handle.

David
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a update to my previous questions.

I ended up emailing David Byer of Cervelo who monitors this thread. His reply is copy and pasted below. So it looks like Cervelo will cover the parts and labor to replace the recalled bar. I took the bike into my local Cervelo Dealer today and turns out the bar is part of the recall. The shop needs to confirm with cervelo that they will cover the replacement and hopefully it will get replaced soon. I'll post a update when I have more info.

"
  • Recalled bars must be replaced regardless of whether you are the original owner or not. However, warranty is not extended to you since you are not the original owner so I can see how the retailer might have remembered this info incorrectly. Please let me know the name of the shop that you are using so I can make sure they have accurate info.
  • Recalled bars must be replaced regardless of which riding position you are using. While it is true that the low position is not affected by the issue, we must ask that you get the base bar swapped. After all, you or someone else might use a different position in the future. The longer it goes, the more likely someone is to forget about the recall. Please get it swapped for the sake of rider safety. "

• Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Just picked up my P5 today and am super excited about getting out on her once the weather in the UK clears up a bit - snow probably not the best situation for a maiden voyage on a bike like this...

Anyway, incase anyone doesn't know what a P5 looks like by now, see below :-) I do think that my set of Zipp 999's set off the bike beautifully.

Full Spec is:

P5 56cm Frame
    Magura Hydraulic Brakes
    Zipp 999 Tubular wheelset
    Dura Ace DA9000 shifters and derailleurs (tuned to be 10 speed compatible)
    Rotor 3D+ SRM powermeter cranks (Not installed currently as on my road bike)
    Garmin 810 (not pictured)

One question for the thread if I may.

Don't know if you can see from the picture that the rear wheel is quite a way from the frame cutout. The bike was built with the standard Mavic Elite wheels that I have taken off. Is there a recommended distance from frame to tyre? I would say I can probably squeeze my little finger in there at the moment. Related to this, if I can move the wheel closer, how is best to do this? I have noticed there are two screws (one on each side) that allow the wheel to be moved forwards and backwards in the dropout, but how do you ensure that you have adjusted both exactly the same, or will being in the ballpark work? I would have thought if you have one further into the frame than the other, you run the risk of putting the wheel in at a slightly bent angle and doing some sort of mischief to wheel, bike or both.

Thanks.
    Quote Reply
    Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    post your picture using http://www.tinypic.com or other image hosting. I want to see more P5s!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
    Quote Reply
    Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Can you not see the photo that I posted above? I can see it display.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    EDIT: My workplaces Internet filter was blocking it. That's a beautiful P5!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
    Last edited by: BryanD: Jan 21, 15 8:27
    Quote Reply
    Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Ok, bit of a technical question that might have been covered already in detail here, but can't find it. I would like to get my SRM crank on the P5. Tried to do so this morning before giving up. I have never worked with press fit bearings before such as the P5 has. My LBS advised that to remove the crank, you can use a rubber hammer to get the non drive side crank arm out. I did this and did get it out, but it took quite a, well, hammering. I am not sure about doing this repeatedly on a carbon frame! I would be swapping the SRM crank between my P5 and road bike on a weekly basis and if I have to keep hammering the thing out of the P5 I am worried that I am going to do some damage at some point in the foreseeable future? Can anyone comment? I supported the drive side with my other hand to limit the frame flex, but really wasn't happy. With my road bike, the crank just slips out, no hammering needed. The press fit bearings seem a little tighter and hence the need for the hammer.

My second question is to do with the rotor cranks themselves. Both systems are Rotor 3d+ cranks, and the non drive side is identical. With the P5, I was supplied with an aero crank, and with my SRM I have O rings which are more of a road setup I guess. As you can see from the pictures below, when I put the SRM crank on the P5, there is about a 10mm gap between the back of the crank and the bearing. I know you can turn the non drive side crank arm to bring it in, but I'm not sure you can adjust it by that much! The culprit appears to be that the aero crank I have has a built up thing on the back that takes up more space - My SRM doesn't have this. Can you buy this and fit this aftermarket? Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Once fitted the crank has about 10mm of play as per the link below

https://flic.kr/p/r1Qfy4

And here is the side by side comparison of the two - the SRM is on the right hand side and you can see that it has less bits in the middle. The aero crank seems to have a built up section.

https://flic.kr/p/r1Zf6X

Sorry, wanted to embed in here but it's not working for some reason. Will keep trying...

Any and all advice gratefully received. Thanks.
    Last edited by: Ironmike78: Feb 1, 15 9:30
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    The rotor crank in your first pic is missing an 11mm alloy spacer on the driveside. It is needed for most (but all) rotor cranks when fitting them to a BBright BB shell.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
    DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
    Quote Reply
    Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    This is what I love about this place. 5 mins and I have an answer. Thanks. I'll have a google around for the spacer. I have contacted the LBS too so they might be able to shed some light on where I get one.
    Quote Reply
    Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Just had a google, and from memory my SRM came with two of those spacers in the box. I will get up in the loft later and have a look.
    Quote Reply

Prev Next