Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 54 came with 170. I had always ridden 175s and thought that was what I was getting. Quite frankly, I never knew the difference until I was cleaning it up. So, I kept the 170s and I think they are fine...and REALLY open the hip angle.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hobie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi hobie1,

Another great photo, thanks!

COMPATIBILITY
Sorry, but the crank and BB in your photo are not compatible. The crank is a nice Rotor 3D (not 3D+; the + would indicate a larger 30 mm spindle diameter). The BB is an FSA.

Here's the incompatibility: Rotor's 3D crank follows Shimano's 24 mm spindle dimensions. But the bottom bracket is for FSA cranks. While FSA and Shimano both have approximately 24 mm spindles, the problem is Shimano is 24mm minus a fraction of a millimeter, while FSA is 24 plus a fraction of a millimeter. Unofficially, with the plastic bushings each company uses in their threaded BBs, Shimano and FSA cranks and bottom brackets can sometimes be mixed, but with metal on metal a more precise match is needed. Otherwise a Rotor 3D crank will have radial play between the spindle and FSA's bearing ID, which accelerates wear and fatigue and leads to poor shifting and more front derailleur rub.

Simplest solution IMHO is to simply get a Rotor 46-24 BBright bottom bracket.

INSTALLATION
To install the bb, read and follow the instructions in the PDF linked from the bottom of the BBright web site, http://bbright.net/. The Rotor 46-24 BBright bottom bracket has metal cups and the right bearing is outside the frame, so you must use LocTite, as instructed there.

FRAME PREP
One other detail with this bottom bracket and the P5 frame: the metal cups extend into the frame and may interfere with traces of carbon inside the frame where the 46mm ID steps down to about 44.5mm. (See the 44.5 dimension on page 2 of the BBright technical drawings PDF, also linked from the BBright home page and specificaly at this link: http://bbright.net/bbrightdrawings.pdf .) To make sure this BB doesn't interfere, simply enlarge the 44.5mm diameter inside the frame. The ridge in the frame where you are enlarging the dimameter is simply left over carbon from the molding process and can easily be sanded down by hand or carefully using a light touch with a Dremel tool's sanding drum. Be careful not to disturb the molded 46mm diameter where the LocTite will engage the cups. Don't breathe carbon dust.

Wow, we are really getting down into the details here - I apologize to other forum users, but for a good, reliable bike assembly, it's important these details are done right. I hope this information can help others too!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for all the help Damon!

I just want to get every single detail perfect. I also torque every single bolt to spec. Build is slowly but I would have it this way and have a perfect bike.

Regarding the BB. I also found this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...5_thread_P3731372-86

So this will not work with my 24mm Rotor 3D right? Only for other cranks.

I will go ahead and order the Rotor BB. Same as this right?

http://bikesourcetechbbfinder.weebly.com/...-bb-ri24s-b-end.html

And based on your explanation that it's not compatible for the P5 is because we have to sand 0.5mm on the P5's BB. Then it should work. Correct?

Thank you Damon.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hobie1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi hobie1,

In this post http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=4475214#4475214 I recommended the FSA bottom bracket to Johnny because he's using an FSA crank. For your Rotor crank, the spindle diameter is a few fractions of a millimeter smaller, which is why I recommended the Rotor BB.

Despite this small difference, it might be possible the Rotor crank can work with the FSA bottom bracket. If you try it please let me know how it goes for you.

Yes, the Rotor bottom bracket you linked to is the right one. You can see the extensions of the metal cups that go deep inside the frame - these are the areas where interference would occur, and the reason I described how to sand the frame to fit.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone got the Xlab Delta Sonic with the gorilla bottle cage? If so, what do you think of it?

Anyone know a place, where they have a reasonable price on this? Preferably in Europe. Or anyone tried making one of these? It looks like the design is ultra simple, i just don't have the tools to bend a metal rod and drill a couple holes. The official Xlab price is ridiculous. I mean, I have bought all kind of Xlab gear in the past, the torpedo mount, Carbon wing and delta wing. Minibag, saddlebag, nano inflater, x-nut.. You name it, I have tried it. Always felt it was kinda pricey, but this thing just takes the crown. Anyway, all ideas are welcomed!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eigner wrote:
Anyone got the Xlab Delta Sonic with the gorilla bottle cage? If so, what do you think of it?

It's actually one of the more impressive bottle carriers I've used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi eigner,

Actually, when we saw X-Lab's elegantly simple prototype we immediately asked for some for our local athletes. Of course, production has some lead time, so in the mean time a few athletes who work in our warehouse whipped up a few copies on their own ... and they broke. They failed to take into account the engineering X-Lab put into the development of this product. Now we use X-Labs.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
delta sonic works great, well worth the price. When you consider how much the P5 costs, the delta sonic is a small percentage of it. Road a race on chip seal, parts 35mph + and haven't lost a bottle yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the trust in the XLAB products Damon! The Delta Sonic looks simple but certainly a lot of R&D and testing went into developing it. Many materials and cages tested with multiple prototypes. The Delta Sonic was put to the test on the rough roads of Kona as well and both Xena and Rachel Joyce were extremely happy with it!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that the Delta Sonic is great. I recommend putting a little bit of loctite on the threads of the screws under the seat before you tighten them down...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [withrow79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
withrow79 wrote:
Agree that the Delta Sonic is great. I recommend putting a little bit of loctite on the threads of the screws under the seat before you tighten them down...

My only problem with the delta sonic is that it is really delicate if you hit it with your leg when un-mounting the bike. I cracked the seat post and twisted the bottle mount getting off my bike. Now, on training rides, I just put the third bottle in my jersey pocket.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [withrow79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it! All screws that come with the Delta Sonic should have loctite on them already. The one under the seat should have red loctite and the 2 screws for the bottle cage should have yellow loctite. If you found one that didn't have it, please let me know and we can send some out that do!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen the delta sonic, but what I don't like about it is that when the bottle is in, it sticks up way too high behind the saddle. Makes it impossible to do a flying start with the pedals in the cleats. With my P4, I had a hydro tail that could be angled lower so the bottle wouldn't stick up so high.

Are there any rear hydration products for the P5 that would hang lower?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [wylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about putting a little bit of heat into mine and bending so then the bottle would sit lower and further under the seat.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Lemboss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure this has been posted somewhere so I apologize in adnavce for its redundancy. For those of you looking to solve for computer mount and BTA waterbottle mount I stumbled across Glen Alden designs http://alden-designs.com/ . I have no affiliation just passing along a solution I found useful.

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Triathlete_37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why are you riding so slack? why not move your seat forward so you can ride steeper, reduce your frontal area and therefore *faster.*
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is my IM fit and is a compromise between power, aero and comfort. If I can't sit in the aero's for hours without constantly getting up to stretch then going steeper defeats the purpose. That said I go for Retul OLY fit Thursday and will be much steeper.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is suspiciously slack, but that is an adamo, so it isn't quite as *insane* slack, as it looks.

But yeah, interesting to see where it ends up after retul!

denali2001 wrote:
why are you riding so slack? why not move your seat forward so you can ride steeper, reduce your frontal area and therefore *faster.*

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had an issue with a crack in the brake shroud? I noticed one on my right shroud a few weeks ago and my LBS ordered a replacement and now I just noticed a small one starting on my left shroud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES. My brand new P5 came with both brake shrouds cracked at the screw holes. When I told my LBS they said they had some in stock and would call me when they came from the warehouse. Turned out that of the 5 brand new sets they had all but one set had those cracks. So it's an issue.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, riding steeper wouldn't affect your hip angle so you shouldn't need to get up and stretch any more frequently. Is your fitter FIST certified?
Quote Reply
The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, anyone knows if is scheduled a new paint for 2014 P5? A car hit me and destroy my P4, now I'm without TT bike and I don't know if make sense wait until autumn to see the possibile upgrade. Ciao
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [LucaV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Won't know until Cervelo releases product info for 2014. But typically the frames go though slight variations in their paint scheme. I don't think it will be anything drastic.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [LucaV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crash replacement is your friend to a cheaper p5 as it is the replacement for p4. buddy is doing this with his smashed in trunk by rear end collision p4
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, what do you mean ??
Quote Reply

Prev Next