out of the water to learn to kick.

The kick serves several functions in swimming: propulsion,
stabilization and elevation. We are victims of Newton's Third
Law of Motion - "for every action there is an equal and
opposite reaction." The only way your kick will work is if you
can apply force in the direction opposite to where you are
going. You need to be able to point your toes as if you are a
ballet dancer. The next time you are at a pool push off the
wall with or without a kickboard, point your toes and kick.
After five seconds turn your feet the other way and notice
what happens - you stop dead in the water. You need to work
every day on increaseing your ankle and toe flexibility. I
tell my classes, which last for six weeks, that if the spend
the next six weeks not swimming and just working on their
ankle flexibility they would swim faster. It is that
important.

Not only is your kick propulsive, it stablizes your body.
Every time your arm crosses past the center line of your body,
you look back to breathe or flick your hand out on recovery
you send your body off its' center line. You legs will come
apart and one foot will dorsi flex (turn upward). Your legs
are stabilizing your body so that you can continue going in a
straight line. Stand at the end of the pool and watch others
swim. Notice the relationship between their arm recovery and
width of their kicks.

Third, no mater how much you push your chest and face into the
water it will not get your legs to the surface. You butt will
pop up and your legs will not. They are heavy and do not
float. If you were a tetter totter pushing your head down your
legs to pop up but you have a hip join which prevents that
from happening. You need to use the muscles of your abs, lower
back and hamstrings to bring your legs up if you are not
kicking. On the other hand if you have a kick your legs are on
the surface all the time with a minimum of effort.

Aside from all these wonderful kicking attributes, your kick
sets up the rhythm for the rest of your swim. You have read
about two beat, six beat, asymetrical and cross over kicks.
The patterns set up a rhythm and drive your hips and arms. It
is my belief that your entire swim starts from your kick up.
Your legs drive your hips which in turn drive your arms. You
notice that you feel greater hip rotation when you wear fins.
Your arm glides further forward when you wear fins. Not only
are they propelling your forward the enhanced drive sets up
your entire stroke.

When you are in the water think of yourself as a swimmer who
does triathlons. Learn your craft. Highly competitive swimmers
are now kicking for 30% of their workouts.

If you cannot move forward when kicking turn over on your back
and practice. Start with a very straight leg, contract your
abs, point your toes and press downward. Feel the water on
your instep as you kick up to the surface. If you still cannot
move forward put on fins. I use fins for most of my kicking
because it forces me to point my toes and they overload my
legs.

Do not run away from kicking, embrace it. You will become a
faster, more comfortable swimmer who does triathlons.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well put Doug! Thank you :):):)

I have my (shoes off) toes curled under, pointed and pressed against the floor under my desk as I type this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Triathletes who come to the sport without a swimming
background look for the quick fix. They read that you need to
save your legs for the bike and run so do not kick.)

This is what I have done, my kick gets me no where when I do drills, so I avoid them (wrong thing to do). While I was in the swim in IMWIS a guy I came up behind had his feet pointed straight at the bottom of the lake(dorsiflexed) I could then see (since he about kicked me in the forehead) what you are talking about for ankle flexibility. His feet where just like huge anchors to stop his forward momentum.

So I ask what is the best way to achieve flexibilty in the ankles, I know swimming with fins, but other stretches that you recommend. I can think of a few but I am not a swimmer, so practical knowledge on the subject from a swimmer would be great.

Thanks

Mike

----------------------------------
Owner/General Manager North Central Cyclery, Dekalb IL
http://www.NorthCentralCyclery.com
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [TRIDOC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the above reply. Shoes off, stretch, stretch, stretch as often as possible. Sit on your feet at home or at work. Make this a lifelong project.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See first response above... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops...he beat me to it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug,

Thanks for the spot-on post - you always manage to put these critical concepts into words well. I'm a weak swimmer, coming to tri from a long-standing running background, with ankles about as flexible as a cast-iron pipe. When my coach videos me, I can see my feet acting like two skegs or sea anchors. As I have worked at increasing plantarflexion, kicking has become easier and releases me so catching water propels me farther.

You've also written well in the past about the synchronization of kick with hips with stroke, and I find that - on those rare occasions when my stroke comes together (usually about 12 yards out of every 3,000 - 4,000) - I experience that rhythmic integration.

So I guess I'll keep working on the kick. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [dakinilegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I must have been writting my novel of a post while you posted. Shoes are off and I am stretching.

By the way Doug I love your posts, allways great info!

Mike

----------------------------------
Owner/General Manager North Central Cyclery, Dekalb IL
http://www.NorthCentralCyclery.com
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [oldslowdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an impringed nerve in my neck right now and all I can do is KICK. It keeps me sane.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only do I love to kick, I love to share by writing.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, with a little practice you can learn to swim backwards by keeping your feet pointed towards the bottom and working the kick hard while not pulling too hard. It's a great demo for the kids.
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first time I tried just kicking I did go backwards! (not much better now, but we're getting there!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "save your legs" for the bike and run is the biggest urban myth in triathlon. Bottom line is if you kick, (for all the good reasons that Doug mentions), you'll be more efficient overall in the water, and will get out earlier to attack the bike and run, using less overall energy, thus "saving" your body for the bike and run. Best of all, you start the bike with better athletes overall (FOP) and that alone elevates your game in all sports. You also get out of all the mess and congestion further back in teh pack.

However, if you really want to feel free to remain a non kicker and continue to swim slow and fry yourself for the bike-run by spending more time in the water :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to post these ideas. Much appreciated. I have experience the drag associated with my "achor-like feet" being pulled along behind me. I really think this is making a huge impact on my swim time. I will incorporate some of these drills and exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug I just started doing kicking sets in my workouts after oh 17 years of doing triathlons.

Here is what I have done so far. Got a kick board and got chopped off fins. Right now I am doing around 600 meters kicking with the board and fins. I then finish kicking on my back with just the fins for another 200 meters. My total workout volume is usually around 2400-2600 meters. I was thinking of upping the volume for my kicking sets and doing at least 1000. What are your thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug - Great post. Couple quick questions:

1) How much kicking should we be doing? 200 yds per workout? 300 yds?

2) Do you think this should this be done with a kickboard or do you think it's better to practice kicking without one because you can have a more "realistic" body position?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lose the fins for at least some of your kick sets. Do you swim with paddles for all of your pull sets??

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention, what swimmer ever finished a freestyle race and said, "I could have gone faster but my legs were too tired."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
helpful post. Question though what is the best way to practice kicking especially for 30% of the workout? ugh. I don't have a great kick & generally don't like to kick but do do some generally without a board. Like 300M 25M on back, 25M right side, 25M left side & then 25 M on front 3x. Generally trying to elongate & engage the core to kept my head inline especially when on the front so my body doesn't drop (which it would otherwise & is bad) and not putting the back into a swayback. That seems to happen more if I use a board. The board seems to just make one flat in the water which is what I thought one wants to avoid.

I do notice that I swim better & get much better hip rotation when I use as pull bouy or thesome what with the zura fins. I can actually feel the hip rotation & my upper body higher in the water which allows for more turning & body elongation stretched out on an axis of the lane bottom center line. I also am trying to swim keeping the elbows high with no cross over of the line above or below. I think it might be happening & am hopefull there will be memory.

My season ended early even before I finished IMC walking the run with a blown hamstring. My hamstring is really a result of biomechanical issues of ql in bakc, groin, & psoas so I am now spending all of my diminished training time working on stabilizing & strengthing the TA core muscles & form only for walking & swimming (relaxed elongation of body & arms, head position, opposite breathing). With backing off & getting out of shape so to speak the larger muscle groups that were overtaking the ta core muscles are going to hell but now relaxing & allowing me to begin to feel the hip rotation.

Obviously now is the time to incorporate more kicking. As far as dryland stretching I assume its just up & down with the foot?

Thanks for the insights,

Barb

ps I know I don't kick enough because my calfs will have a tendency to cramp when trying to get out of my wetsuit at the end of a race swim.
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not to mention, what swimmer ever finished a freestyle race and said, "I could have gone faster but my legs were too tired."

Lots of swimmers say things like this. Here's a good story about a relatively good swimmer, Rich Seager, then swimming for one of our archrivals, Mercersburg. He won the 200 free against us in our dual meet, swimming a 1:41 plus unshaved and untapered. He told one of my teammates right after the race that his legs had really died during the race. I mention the name because two years later he led off the US 4 x 200 meter relay team in the prelims of the 1984 Olympics and ended up being one of the world record holders in that event for a few hours before the epic race that night between the US and West Germany.
Quote Reply
Re: Yes and no: The need to kick [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been many learned, and studied articles and teaching techniques that show somewhat negligible propulsive effects of the kick in the front crawl. If you're intimating that the kick in the front crawl provides you with overall balance and stroke flow, you are correct. The problem with triathletes is that many are "newbie" swimmers who overemphasize, use, and employ kicking technique improperly. They have strong legs from running and cycling and they concentrate on the kick, - when they should take a more holistic and balanced approach to their swim technique and work on the fundamentals and core. What is the result? They do not pay attention to their catch, relaxing their recovery, their head position, and their roll/body position. Since Triathletes do not normally use the muscles, and/or more importantly, get a "feel" for coordination and "flow" of the catch/roll/streamline position, - it would benefit them more to concentrate on these core techniques instead of sitting up on a kickboard which essentially takes them OUT of the streamline position by having a high head, and low hips...

Dr. James Councilman pioneered much and analyzed stroke technique in elite swimmers by studying film, aquatic animals, and drag and friction. He found that isolating the kick in the Australian Crawl stroke only results in a 5 to 12% propulsive effect, (depending on distance swum), in relation to the propulsive effects of arm/upper body and body roll/flow....

Below are a few studies that support this position:

http://www.swimmtech.com/articles.htm

""The challenge for the swimmer is to find the right synergistic applications of all the muscles involved in a stroke. The ideal stroke emphasizes the great adductors of the shoulder during the propulsive phase coupled with the optimum use of the small muscles of the arm, forearm and hand. The small muscles are used to position the extremity in its most advantageous propulsive position as it moves through the water in a particular stroke. The skilled swimmer makes this task appear to be easy because they do not over recruit muscles at inappropriate times and rely as much as possible upon the moving inertia of their repetitive and explosive propulsive phases to carry the stoke during the recovery and initial catch phases. They let the stroke carry them instead of working the stroke at the expense of their limited energy. This inertial and 'easy' stroke does require great muscular effort. Even the most 'natural' of athletes requires time to acquire the skill of an inertial stroke. The learning curve is different from athlete to athlete and the quality of the individual' s nervous systems that determines the ultimate degree of success in the acquisition of swimming skill. Michelangelo's ideal 'David' would not be a successful swimmer if he did not spend the specific time to learn the motor skill of swimming.""

""It is obvious to the informed coach that there are many factors which contribute to the ultimate outcome of efficient competitive swimming. Successful manipulation of the controllable variables is the greatest challenge for coach and athlete and allows for creativity from both the coach and the athlete and allows for creativity from both the coach and the athlete. However, the almost overwhelming number of factors governing success demands that a coach and swimmer filter out the trivial from the important. Successful swimming demands an economy of motion and the understanding of mechanics for efficient human swimming propulsion. Knowledge of the important role the shoulder joint adductors play in efficient swimming is useful for anyone attempting to increase his swimming skill. Shoulder joint adductors are at the 'core' of a champion's.""

""Hip roll is a result of an inertial, free-swinging stroke, but not an important focal point for propulsion. All strokes require vigorous adduction of the shoulder during the propulsive phases of the stroke and only two of the competitive strokes involve rotation around the long axis of the body (crawl stroke and backstroke). The lack of rotation of the hips along the long axis in the butterfly and breaststrokes does not compromise the effective adduction movement of the shoulder during the propulsive phases of these strokes.""

""The peculiarities of technique exhibited by world record holder and Olympic gold medallist Tom Dolan in the 400 IM in Sydney 2000 punctuate the importance of arm action over any other propulsive effort in his butterfly and backstroke legs of his performance.. Dolan took only one kick per arm cycle during his butterfly leg of this swim and used a two beat kick throughout his backstroke leg. Clearly, the arm action is the key part of Dolan’s propulsive effort in these two strokes.""

http://www.coachesinfo.com/article/154

"Therefore, axial flow may also be relevant for the leg kick during swimming, which involves rotations in hip, knee and ankle joints. In fact, in the natural world rotation of propelling elements is very common. Therefore, axial flow may be crucial for understanding propulsion in many other forms of aquatic and aerial locomotion involving rotation of propelling elements, such as fins, paddles, wings and webbed feet."

Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
600 meters kicking is fine for most workouts and once a week up the distance to 1,000. Build the distance slowly. Initially kicking is very fatiguing.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The kicking yardage should be a percentage of your total workout. So it depends on how much you are swimming.

I kick without a kickboard on my back and with a kickboard for some fast sets. Kicking witha kickboard is mostly social and adds a break to faace in the water swimming.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [Mister Bubbles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kick with and without fins.

I use paddles for long swims and never do any pulling. I want to feel the relationship between my kick and hips.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: The need to kick [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you kick you are using your abs (core). engage them and your back will flatten out.

Try this exercise - go into a push up position (yoga plank) with your toes pointed. Notice your back starts to sway unless you tighten your abs. when you kick with a board use your abs to flatten your back.

DougStern
Quote Reply

Prev Next