Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The longest swim workout/set you've ever done...
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I know about "the set". ~15k of pure hell that took ~5hrs and was so physically demanding that the coach had to leave in the middle to get something to eat. :p

But for those of us who haven't trained with the NTC posse, what's the longest swim set that you've ever done?

===
I've been idly toying with doing the Bay Challenge for several years now. It's a 9k OW swim across English Bay from North Vancouver to Kitsilano. Perhaps fortuitously, I strained my R achiles at the NB 1/2 Iron and have not been able to run very much since - so I was thinking about jumping in this year. 3 weeks out from the event I talked it over with Will, who in his wisdom thought it might be best to do some specific preparation for a swim this long, and to test out my shoulders to see if they could handle such a swim. (I have a history of bad shoulders and swim aggravation) This week was a "swim focus" week and I logged 4 swims in 48hrs, and 17k in 5 sessions over 4 days(Mon-Thurs). One of those days was a double swim day, with my total mileage being just shy of 8000m. Yesterday I had off from the pool and have to say it felt a little weird.

Today I went down to Kits Pool to do an 8k straight set. All I can say is thank you to the Vancouver Parks & Rec board for creating and maintaining this pool. I can't possibly imagine doing this swim in a standard LCM pool, much less SCM. Hell, I had trouble counting to 30.

Kits Pool is 150 yards long, or 137.5m. That means 60 lengths, or 30 laps to get 8250m. Perfect - I can handle counting to 30 (or so I thought). The other nice thing about Kids Pool is its location - right down on the beach, there's no better place to be on a sunny day. There are usually a few real swimmers there, so I can check out some very nice technique as they fly by me effortlessly, and there are also a lot of hotties who go there to splash around - so I can check out their very nice form as well. :p

I showed up at the pool just after 13:00, and figured on a 2:30 session. Got my kit on, did a few arm circles on deck and dove in. I've been working on some changes to my swim technique of late, and my "new" form isn't fully ingrained as of yet. It also seems to tax my deltoids more than the old way. It's a LOT easier on my pectoral ligaments though, which is a good thing. Based on the week I've just had my shoulders were still pretty tired, and it took a good 1200m before I was feeling good. Once that was settled the first 4k went by pretty quickly. Nice! At ~ 5.5k I started to get kind of tired, and the workout ceased to be much fun at ~6.5k. The last 1200 was pretty tough - not physiologically, but mentally more than anything. Yeah, my R shoulder was getting a little sore - but not in a really bad way. I just wanted the set to be over and done with already. I had had enough of this shit. I was also getting hungry, which tends to make me grumpy. Finally I came in and touched for lap 30/length 60, nailing 8250m. During the entire set I stopped momentarily a few times when I had collisions at the wall, but kept true to the spirit of the straight set by never taking a rest break. The stops were 2-3s of me barking at some schmuck with no pool etiquette, and then right back to swimming. I lost track of what lap I was on twice (that I remember), and both times penalized my lack of mental sharpness by assuming that the lower number was correct (that's a 300yd penalty each time).

Hopped out of the pool and looked at the clock. WTF? Walked over to the clock and took a closer look. Yep - that's really what it says. 16:01. That means I was in the pool for 2:55. DAMN - so either I slowed down a lot over the course of the swim, or I really can't freakin' count. Either is possible (as is a combination of the two) but that's a full 25min slower than I had been anticipating, and 15min slower than my estimated "worst case" scenario. Bummer.

Add to shopping list: muscular endurance

Overall I'm still pretty pleased with how things went. This is the first time I've ever tried to swim more than 4k (straight), and both times I did that I was in a wetsuit in OW. My shoulders seemed to hold up okay (though tomorrow will tell) and aside from getting hungry and a little grumpy, it was a good swim. While I'm not thrilled with the time, I haven't exactly trained for this shit either. I'm certainly not concerned about making the 4hr cutoff for the race.

But thank Vishnu for that pool... :D

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's impressive. I was about to gag until I saw the 125y pool. All of those turns in a 25y/m pool would get really old (not that swimming with so few turns is any easier!).

And to think I can barely stand swimming anything longer than a 200.

Did you breathe every stroke and to just one side? My lack of breath control and skillz means I'd have taken ~4000 breaths, all on the left!!!!

To you original question... I swam a 2000y in the pool once. And of course, a whole buncha 2150y in races. Longest total workout was ~5500y.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Last edited by: Aztec: Jul 12, 08 19:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would LOVE to have access to a pool that long.

My longest workout was somewhere around 9000m in a 25 meter pool. I was 19 at the time. It was a charity fundraiser and we got people to pledge money for each lap we could do. Despite having 2-3 powerbars I eventually got so hungry that I stopped. Took about 3 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My most insane set ever was in HS. We had a coach who would give us extra sets (or would it be reps?) if we were late, backtalked, etc. We had a set that started out as 25 X 100 m, and two of our girls were late. He added one 100 for every minute they were late, which between the two of them, got us to somewhere around 50. Then a couple of guys got mad and started giving the coach shit about it, and it turned into 60, then 70, then 80, then 90. When it hit 100, everybody went apeshit on the assholes who were protesting and finally we shut them up and got on with it. 100 X 100m after school in the middle of winter, so we could see it get dark outside through the windows. Coach never left the deck, he sat there counting every single length. I have no idea how long it took either. I hope to never, ever do that again. On top of that, he made us do a cool down after we finished! Between warmups and the C/D, we had to have gone at least 11,000 meters. Needless to say, neither the tow girls, nor the loud mouthed protesters made very many friends that day, and it took a long time for the team dynamics to come back to normal.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One years workout, the coach gave us 2 options, 11 x 1000's or something that had to do with our best stroke.
I decided on the stroke.
6000 Butterfly straight without breaking stroke, that sucked.
That 6000 is probably the longest I have gone in one session, not in one day though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EDIT: Dude your nuts but I think it would be cool. Wetsuit I take it or naked (well not entirely naked please, or if it did happen don't post those pics, post the hot chicks)

76X100 on an avg 1:25 send off. Once did 5k straight in the middle of a swim practice, but I don't remember how long the entire workout was, probably ~7-7.5k

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 12, 08 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done some 13-14k workouts over 3 hours, lots and lots of workouts in the 8-9k range, and plenty of days of 15-16k over 2 practices. I've also done a couple weeks at over 100k total. Longest straight swim i've ever done is closer to 5k. Longest set I can come up with off the top of my head was 100,200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900,1000 each swim is on the 1:00 base plus a minute, so the 100@2:00 200@3:00 up to the 1000@11:00. Don't usually do really long sets, workouts are generally structured about 1.5k wu 3k main set 1k pull 1k kick 500 wd more or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The toughest workout I've done since I took up triathlon.

200IM, 200 pull, 200 kick, 400 free, repeat 10 times....10K total yards.

Took me about 3 hours...got the idea from a workout Gordo Bryn posted on this website. He did roughly the same thing except 15 times...but I'm only 2/3 the man he is.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In HS, we'd usually do 1 timed 10k each season. At best I was ~1:40 yds, ~1:50 meters

Over the years I've done various other long sets, timed 8000 IMs, timed 3000fly. Once did a 2000 kick for time.

In college at UT, we did 100x200 over the course of a morning and afternoon workout. I did 30 free, 60 IM, 10 Fly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know these workouts weren't what you were asking for, but why did we suffer through them if we weren't ever gonna tell anyone???

in high school the week between christmas and new years was a hell week with my club team. one day was 18,700 yards over a morning 3 hours and afternoon 2 hours. then new years eve we always did 100x100s to commemorate the occasion.

After that swimming background, I barely break 2500 yards 3 times a week and still have top 5 swims every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I am actually going to be home for that ... I have always wanted to do that swim but I thought that I'd already missed it.
Now hopefully, my coach will say "yes" and then I can find someone to follow me in a boat :)

Exciting ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never really swam with a team that did mega-yardage. Longest single session we did in college would top out around 7500 yards, and we'd only do like 13-14K LCM down in Florida split over 3 sessions a day because our coach felt like too many people started getting sick if we went more than that.
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My longest workout was somewhere around 9000m in a 25 meter pool. I was 19 at the time.

Dude, that's freakin' madness. Good thing you were 19, and dumb enough not to know any better!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta love the coaches who embrace the "everyone suffers as a team" approach!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [Jagerstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
6000 Butterfly straight without breaking stroke

OUCH. I simply can't fathom that. Hell, I can barely manage 50fly!

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
EDIT: Dude your nuts but I think it would be cool. Wetsuit I take it or naked (well not entirely naked please, or if it did happen don't post those pics, post the hot chicks)

76X100 on an avg 1:25 send off...

No wetsuit, this pool is plenty warm. Speedo, swedes & a cap (resulting in an exceptionally retarded tanline).

I think I might be able to arrive on 1:25 for a single 100, SCM with fins and paddles. :p

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bro's

DEEK here. Totally ripping some urban training in NYC. I am planning on a 5 hour swim in the east River against the current. I'm gonna try to film it so it can be legit. Will pst results ASAP. That's as soon as possible for those who don't know. P.S. NO WET SUIT!

Later bro's
deek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sir, you are a beast. I just got home from a measly 2000m (granted it was optional and I did it, so I win in the end... RIGHT!?!?!) and I have to go on to read about your endless swim? If the pool wasn't closed now I'd go back haha.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

6000 Butterfly straight without breaking stroke, that sucked.
That 6000 is probably the longest I have gone in one session, not in one day though.
You sir, are one bad MF'er.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
365 50's short course yards Mission Viejo that was a really long workout.

Kerry Classen
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [kaclassen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100 100's on the 100.
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [DEEK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am planning on a 5 hour swim in the east River against the current.

Kramer?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: The longest swim workout/set you've ever done... [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If the pool wasn't closed now I'd go back haha.

The nice thing about Kits is that it's surrounded by a very low wall. Were you so inclined it would be very easy to hop the fence and swim... :p

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Driving from New West to Kits for a swim? Don't see that happening... I'd almost say, ever. Kits pool may be the only thing I wish I lived in the city for.

Quote | Reply
Don't you have anything better to do? ;)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply

Prev Next