Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The long training ride - structure, %FTP
Quote | Reply
For a routine, weekly training ride of say 3-5 hours, what %FTP do you aim for (AP or NP), and how do you structure the workout? Please include any background that would help put this in context (weekly volume, whether doing a long run the next day, etc.). Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The long training ride - structure, %FTP [Early riser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: "Please include any background that would help put this in context (weekly volume, whether doing a long run the next day, etc.)."

I think for you to get appropriate advice from the many coaches around here, you'll need to provide the same ;)

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: The long training ride - structure, %FTP [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure - was only trying to avoid embarrassment, but I guess there's no hiding if you want advice. I ride around 10 hours/week, run 35-40 miles, swim not enough (3x/week for about an hour). I've been building to a weekly long ride of 4 hours, which I've done consistently for about 4 months. I don't know what my FTP is but guess it's somewhere in the 290-300 w range, the upper limit being optimistic. My weekday rides of 90 minutes include 2x20 min at 270-275 w, which I do 4x/week. These feel comfortably hard, not grueling. My long ride is mostly longer intervals of around 240-260 w, and the average power for the ride typically comes to around 230 w. This is not an easy workout, but not super challenging either. I finish feeling I could have done a bit more. The next day I run 2-2.5 hours and don't feel the previous day's ride affected the run that much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, this is all going to depend on what your goals are, what point of the season you're in, when a race is, etc. pretty much think periodization and specificity.

Also, your run the next day is also going to depend on the same things and where you are at with your build.

It would be meaningless to give a "generalized" wattage when you are seeking a specific one, but again, that all depends on your goals and where you are at in your build.

However, just to give you an answer, You should be riding at a power that builds your overall fitness levels and caters to your goals while still allowing you to continue your training program for the next week without needing a prolonged recovery period.
- See Coggan and Allen's book on Training with a power meter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I try to work more 20's into my weekend long ride.

So I'll start with 1x20 @ 85-90% (285ish), then 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x. The rest will be at my target ironman wattage (210). I'll do whatever rest in between as long as I fit them all in.

These can add up to some big training load without smoking me for days. I'll save intensity for mid week 1hr trainer rides.

I also do not do my long run near my long bike they're quite separated this year as I've battled injury previously so changing things up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on too many things.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply