Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The latest "exercise pill"
Quote | Reply
There's a new article out showing that mice taking a pill that activates PPAR-delta have physiological changes similar to exercise, with improved endurance:

http://www.genengnews.com/...+Highlights_20170503

A quote from the news article: ""Exercise activates PPARD, but we're showing that you can do the same thing without mechanical training. It means you can improve endurance to the equivalent level as someone in training, without all of the physical effort," says Weiwei Fan, Ph.D., a Salk research associate and the paper's first author."

So who wants to sign up for the human clinical trial? I think there will be more and more of this sort of pharmacological intervention developed, obviously with the primary goal of addressing problems of obesity rather than getting me out of my early morning run. It will definitely increase the complexity of monitoring for doping.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [benroc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WADA has expressed their concerns with PPAR antagonists previously. GW-501516 has been tested for as far back as the Beijing Olympics. Seems to from this article that people have some how been able to find it on the black market for some time now. So wouldn't put is past a cycling team or national team of some sort to be able to find this under the table some how, but seems to me someone has already:

http://www.velonation.com/...nally-suspended.aspx

https://cyclingtips.com/...heir-use-in-cycling/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...ack-market-gw501516/
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting, thanks. I didn't realize this had been around that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every big pharma company has looked into commercializing compounds targeting peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors..... none of them have moved a drug to a human trial because the rats developed cancers at somewhat alarming rates
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [PIGsmasher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ball cancer?

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
intestinal and liver mostly
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [PIGsmasher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was referring to Lance ;)

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
benroc wrote:
I think there will be more and more of this sort of pharmacological intervention developed, obviously with the primary goal of addressing problems of obesity rather than getting me out of my early morning run.

How will increasing someone's aerobic fitness with a pill address obesity? You still need to take in less calories or burn more and getting in shape by taking a pill doesn't do either of those things.

Only way it would work is if by being in better shape the person gets out and moves more because they don't perceive it being as hard.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant in general terms, not really for this specific target (PPAR-delta). The goal is to alter the way the body processes food, stores fat, etc., and with that altering gene expression to mimic changes that happen as a consequence of exercise. As others have said, this brings with it a lot of challenges in terms of side effects.
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
benroc wrote:
I think there will be more and more of this sort of pharmacological intervention developed, obviously with the primary goal of addressing problems of obesity rather than getting me out of my early morning run.

How will increasing someone's aerobic fitness with a pill address obesity? You still need to take in less calories or burn more and getting in shape by taking a pill doesn't do either of those things.

Only way it would work is if by being in better shape the person gets out and moves more because they don't perceive it being as hard.

Because the three articles listed explained why: this drug combination works by increasing your fat burn, instead of pulling energy from your carbohydrate (blood sugar) stores. If your blood sugar does NOT drop because you did NOT use it to fuel daily activity, then you don't get hungry. Dropping blood sugar is what signals hunger. Fat burns in an oxygen (aerobic) flame. That's why high intensity intervals need carbs for fuel, while aerobic (fat burning) does not as much, depending on diet and fitness.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: The latest "exercise pill" [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
benroc wrote:

Because the three articles listed explained why: this drug combination works by increasing your fat burn, instead of pulling energy from your carbohydrate (blood sugar) stores. If your blood sugar does NOT drop because you did NOT use it to fuel daily activity, then you don't get hungry. Dropping blood sugar is what signals hunger. Fat burns in an oxygen (aerobic) flame. That's why high intensity intervals need carbs for fuel, while aerobic (fat burning) does not as much, depending on diet and fitness.

Yeah seems like one of those theoretical arguments with an awful lot of assumptions (e.g. low blood sugar is what drives over eating in the obese) to get from point A to the goal at point B. Physiology and medicine are full of examples where the goal is to get to B with changes in A, and it sounds good theoretically but it doesn't pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another example.
Quote Reply