Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic"
Quote | Reply
I have been doing triathlons for 3 years and used to race bikes and did some time trials. I understand the aero benefits of position but never really felt a huge difference while riding.

This last weekend. Relatively flat 56 mile 70.3 bike course. Combination of an out and a small loop. Slight headwinds out.

I was riding at fairly high speeds and was very comfortable on my aero bars. Felt in the zone and very aware of everything. The course was smooth and safe and I could really focus on just riding. I actually felt a difference in how my body reacted with the wind significantly. If I went to horns I felt wind hit my face and chest and for same effort the bike slowed down. It was almost like my body was catching the wind like a windsock. I got on the aero bars and felt the wind move around me vs. into me, and felt a surge in speed for same effort. I actually worked on getting my head down and "turtleing" and felt even more free speed. It was very eye opening regarding benefit of staying in aero and I would say the lowest position to being to sitting up was at least 1-2 mph difference. It actually was almost the same feeling as going from being in the wind to being in a draft. I think if there was more climbing and changes in speed and terrain that this would not be noticeable, but my speed was pretty consistent throughout the ride. I am actually going to lower my bars a bit after this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is what I perceived backed up by anyone else's experience or understanding? I do not have a power meter so it was more of a feel thing. Is it possibly a placebo effect?
Quote Reply
Re: The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic" [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally upshift 2 gears going from hoods to aerobars at the same cadence and effort level. Aero works as long as you can comfortably make power by being correctly fit in that position.
Quote Reply
Re: The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic" [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it's not a placebo effect. Lowering the bars will not necessairly make you any faster. Lowering the bars can hurt your fit causing you to put out less power and make your back and neck hurt which will cause you to get out of aero more often. Talk to a bike fitter before you start lowering anything

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:

This last weekend. Relatively flat 56 mile 70.3 bike course. Combination of an out and a small loop. Slight headwinds out.

Based on your screen name and description, I thought it must have been Racine....but then I saw this....

Quote:
The course was smooth

Wink

IMO, aero benefits become increasingly apparent in races....mostly because you can keep a consistent effort w/o traffic, lights, stop signs, etc. You get a much better sense of what works and what doesn't. I had a great ride at Racine, much faster than I anticipated, even though I was hitting my goal wattage the whole time. ALl my training rides at that power were 1.5 - 2 mph slower in average speeds (even with some race equipment).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic" [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your aero helmet has a tail, you don't want you head down. The tail needs to sit as flush to your back as possible. With the Giro Advantage II for example, you often want to push the helmet back on your head to expose more forehead and get th tail closer to you back. I know I got it right when I tilt my head back just a little further and I can feel the tail on my back.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic" [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
If your aero helmet has a tail, you don't want you head down. The tail needs to sit as flush to your back as possible. With the Giro Advantage II for example, you often want to push the helmet back on your head to expose more forehead and get th tail closer to you back. I know I got it right when I tilt my head back just a little further and I can feel the tail on my back.

No tail. Just a regular helmet
Quote Reply
Re: The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic" [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
No it's not a placebo effect. Lowering the bars will not necessairly make you any faster. Lowering the bars can hurt your fit causing you to put out less power and make your back and neck hurt which will cause you to get out of aero more often. Talk to a bike fitter before you start lowering anything

Let me put it this way. When I was relaxed and riding on the aero bars, I felt a bit high and in the wind. I hunched my shoulders and lowered myself another 1-2 cm lower than the bar height would dictate and felt great for the ride. No issues. I found myself saying, if I could only shorten my humerus or lower my pads by 1-2 cm this would be perfect. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic" [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I had a great ride at Racine, much faster than I anticipated, even though I was hitting my goal wattage the whole time. All my training rides at that power were 1.5 - 2 mph slower in average speeds (even with some race equipment).

Drafting is a hell of a thing.....
Quote Reply
Re: The first time that I have actually felt "aerodynamic" [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
Power13 wrote:
I had a great ride at Racine, much faster than I anticipated, even though I was hitting my goal wattage the whole time. All my training rides at that power were 1.5 - 2 mph slower in average speeds (even with some race equipment).

Drafting is a hell of a thing.....

LOL....well spotted.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply