Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The best thing about tubulars
Quote | Reply
The best thing about tubulars is the market for used ones has collapsed.

You can get really nice used tubular wheels for 1/2 what used clinchers of the same make and age are going for.

For me, I’m glad I learned to glue tubulars and deal with flats (I carry a spare track tire that folds up really small ).
Quote Reply
Re: The best thing about tubulars [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya when I sold my Stinger 9s I could barely get anyone to insult me with an offer. They were barely used and I don't think I got 500$. The other big advantage most people forget is that you can control the bike must better when you get a flat. Great for building a weight weenie bike as well.

Enjoy the new wheels and all that extra cash.
Quote Reply
Re: The best thing about tubulars [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can definitely back the $ part. Just bought a used 80mm Bontrager wheel with a powertap hub and wheel cover for cheap cheap :) now just looking for something to go on the front as right now I've got a clincher front and tubular rear lol
Quote Reply
Re: The best thing about tubulars [campergf23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an older model Bontrager Aeolus 5 sitting around I’m not using. ;-)

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

You can get really nice used tubular wheels for 1/2 what used clinchers of the same make and age are going for.

For me, I’m glad I learned to glue tubulars and deal with flats (I carry a spare track tire that folds up really small ).

From my experience years ago, even new tubulars were not that reliable. The pros certainly have flats while racing them.

How reliable are the used ones these days? How many miles do you get on them? What is their cost relative to an inner tube?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone trying to sell a used pair of tubular race wheels, I would agree, they do depreciate even more than clinchers.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

Yeah just switched to tubs. To be honest it was a complete PITA to start with, knowing very little about them. I bought a 2nd hand 900 and 808 front, started with changing the tyres, so had to take the glue off the rims, tried a number of different internet recommended "solutions" took forever and was messy. I ended up going for tape, despite a lot of people saying not too, the tape was also a PITA to get on (user error). I then got given some better tape which is a piece of cake to get on. I think it would have helped if I'd had some assistance and probably not used the internet/forums for advice. I got some great advice from ST, but also a lot of contradictory stuff, so ended up totally confused about what tyres to use, whether to use tape or not, whether to use sealant, pitstop, do I carry a spare tyre etc etc

I think if more people knew that tape was a viable option then tubs would be more popular. And not all tape is created equal. My mate used some ultra adhesive tape for cyclocross and ripped off part of the tyre trying to remove it. I can't remember the company that makes it.
Last edited by: zedzded: Dec 17, 17 17:53
Quote Reply