Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The aero vs disc brake debate continues
Quote | Reply
Saw this pic of a new aero disc brake road bike on bikerumor. Cool looking bike, but that saddle to bar drop looks kinda crazy.

Not sure (have not seen any data), but I wonder if the shimano direct mount disc brake standard (used on this new bike) significantly reduces aero drag vs conventionally-mounted disc brakes. Another interesting thing, the zipp decals on the wheels go almost right to the edge of the rims ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jul 23, 15 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool looking bike. Seems like disc brakes will never be as aero as good rim brakes, maybe I'm not creative enough to imagine that future. I can see discs taking over in the roadie scene, but maybe not in tri since ideally you only need to brake once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The flat mount isn't that much different than normal mounting. It's a little bit closer to the frame so it'll probably be a little more aero but not significantly. Definitely not more aero than a rim brake.

For the Zipp wheels, all of their disc brake wheelsets are like that. They're still the same rim as the rim brake version (except for the 30).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few observations:
-The frame looks relatively squared away from an aero standpoint. The seat stays are shaped very similarly to those on the Trek SC. That said, they didn't fill in the seat cluster (which seems to be a current "best practice") and the down tube cable routing is infuriating.
-Through axles: I love it. Totally unnecessary, I know, but I'd like to have them on every bike I own.
-Clearance for 28mm rubber in the rear. I like it :)
-Disc brake on the rear is probably a minimal aero penalty. Disc brake up front certainly has an aero penalty but I don't know what it is. Perhaps a solid disc up front would help mitigate this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There coming

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it is the calipers that cause the added drag, it is the discs themselves, particularly when they are on the sheltered side f the bike vs wind direction.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I don't think it is the calipers that cause the added drag, it is the discs themselves, particularly when they are on the sheltered side f the bike vs wind direction.

Ah, did not know that. But to me that is a surprising piece of info.
I wonder if any other disc shapes (even if heavier) would be more aero.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I see is an oxymoron.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
That said, they didn't fill in the seat cluster (which seems to be a current "best practice") and the down tube cable routing is infuriating.
Curious, what do you see as the issue with the downtube cables?

GreenPlease wrote:
Through axles: I love it. Totally unnecessary, I know, but I'd like to have them on every bike I own.
For the rear maybe. But for the front, a through axle add considerable security, as the forces generated by a front disc caliper try to force the wheel out of the fork dropouts.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Saw this pic of a new aero disc brake road bike on bikerumor. Cool looking bike, but that saddle to bar drop looks kinda crazy.

Not sure (have not seen any data), but I wonder if the shimano direct mount disc brake standard (used on this new bike) significantly reduces aero drag vs conventionally-mounted disc brakes. Another interesting thing, the zipp decals on the wheels go almost right to the edge of the rims ...

I wasn't aware there was an actual debate pertaining to aero?

Disc brakes create more drag. There are a couple of threads on slowtwitch debating disc brakes

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
That said, they didn't fill in the seat cluster (which seems to be a current "best practice") and the down tube cable routing is infuriating.

Curious, what do you see as the issue with the downtube cables?

Aero penalty

DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
Through axles: I love it. Totally unnecessary, I know, but I'd like to have them on every bike I own.

For the rear maybe. But for the front, a through axle add considerable security, as the forces generated by a front disc caliper try to force the wheel out of the fork dropouts.

*eyes fork of CX bike*

*considers upgrading to Niner fork with through axle*
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
There coming.

The zombies? The people who have something useful to contribute?
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It if doesn't come with a helmet mirror, it should.
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, sorry. I was being sarcastic! There is no debate - discs have more drag.

Personally, I'd love disc brakes on a tri bike. I'd buy them if they were available. I'm fat and my hands aren't strong enough to stop my weight with rim brakes, so descents actually terrify me right now. I've been mostly training with my mountain bike because where I live has mega hills, so I can't avoid it.

Chlorine is my perfume
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
All I see is an oxymoron.

That's no way to talk about Dave, just because he forgot the apostrophe and the letter "y".

Edit to add smiley ;-)
Last edited by: knighty76: Jul 24, 15 1:33
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop me if I'm going off-topic here, but I'm wondering if disc brakes can eventually be more aero than rim brakes. My thought is that there could be gains by using a smaller diameter, solid disc. Another area could be the rim itself. Since heat management of a brake surface near the bead of the tire is no longer a concern, perhaps that area could now be thinner or made to integrate better with the tire to make it more aero. I dunno - just kind of thinking out loud...

On another tangent, in-hub drum brakes seem to have aerodynamic potential in theory, but implementation would be another story...

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [TheSlugLife] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of brakes do you have on your tri bike or road bike? The right caliper brakes with the right brake pads will likely help, might even solve your problem completely.

--
Quote Reply
Re: The aero vs disc brake debate continues [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Stop me if I'm going off-topic here, but I'm wondering if disc brakes can eventually be more aero than rim brakes. My thought is that there could be gains by using a smaller diameter, solid disc. Another area could be the rim itself. Since heat management of a brake surface near the bead of the tire is no longer a concern, perhaps that area could now be thinner or made to integrate better with the tire to make it more aero. I dunno - just kind of thinking out loud...

On another tangent, in-hub drum brakes seem to have aerodynamic potential in theory, but implementation would be another story...

I have an idea...what if we make the braking disc even LARGER?...and then, for the best aerodynamics, integrate it into the rim?

Think about it...then the calipers could be centrally located within the frames for even better aero, and the spokes could be made lighter since they no longer have to transfer the braking loads to the tire (not to mention the forks and frames could be lighter since less reinforcement is needed)...and, since the braking diameter can be SO large (leading to massive braking torque) the braking surface could be made lighter by switching from steel to a lighter aluminum alloy...possibly with a machined and hard coated surface for better all-weather performance.

Boy...if only we could skip this current awkward separate braking disc phase and proceed directly to THAT technologically advanced stage...if only someone made something like THAT...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I have an idea...what if we make the braking disc even LARGER?...and then, for the best aerodynamics, integrate it into the rim?

Think about it...then the calipers could be centrally located within the frames for even better aero, and the spokes could be made lighter since they no longer have to transfer the braking loads to the tire (not to mention the forks and frames could be lighter since less reinforcement is needed)...and, since the braking diameter can be SO large (leading to massive braking torque) the braking surface could be made lighter by switching from steel to a lighter aluminum alloy...possibly with a machined and hard coated surface for better all-weather performance.

Boy...if only we could skip this current awkward separate braking disc phase and proceed directly to THAT technologically advanced stage...if only someone made something like THAT...

That sounds like complete nonsense - there's no way that would ever work. File that with that crazy horseless carriage idea that folks were throwing around a while back...

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Travis R wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My new Avant M30D comes with disc brakes, however, it can be converted to regular road brakes as well. During the summer when I do Gran Fondo's and group rides, I have regular brakes. The rear brake is even tucked under the BB. When Fall arrives, I switch to more gravel road riding, so I'll put disc brakes on.

Changing between the systems is easy, although a tad time consuming. I think it took me about 30 minutes to do it. Longest part was re-wrapping handlebar tape, but that's because I have OCD tendencies so it has to be perfect.

Also should note, you'll need different wheels that accept rim brakes. I have Flo 60's on my Tri Bike, so I just move them over. :)

Quote | Reply
Of course, totally agree, with current technology with AL rims (not carbon rims), the right caliper brakes with the right pads are fine, and the best solution currently available for TT and tri.

That said, for rain or wet weather, the story changes completely. I've put in a lot of miles in the rain with caliper brakes and also (mechanical) disc brakes. And at the current technology, there is no comparison. Disc brakes, even with all of their drawbacks, leave even the best caliper brakes in the dust. And by a huge margin.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Of course, totally agree, with current technology with AL rims (not carbon rims), the right caliper brakes with the right pads are fine, and the best solution currently available for TT and tri.

That said, for rain or wet weather, the story changes completely. I've put in a lot of miles in the rain with caliper brakes and also (mechanical) disc brakes. And at the current technology, there is no comparison. Disc brakes, even with all of their drawbacks, leave even the best caliper brakes in the dust. And by a huge margin.

Have you tried either Mavic Exalith or the Hed Blacks in the wet yet? Combined with hydraulic rim brakes? ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next