Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Vo2 Max intervals I've been doing...
Quote | Reply
Was looking for an HIIT protocol to try (bike racing focus), so I picked the following. Only been doing them a couple of weeks, but I like them.

13 x (30 secs ON, 15 secs OFF)
Then 3 min recovery
Repeat a total of 3 times per session.
Two sessions per week (no more!), then low intensity training in the remaining sessions in the week.

Effort level for ON is whatever maximum you can maintain for the session: roughly 5 min all-out power in the published paper (or approx 130% FTP for my intervals). Effort for OFF is 50% of ON.

This gives approx 20 mins of ON time.

This was seen to be superior to 4 x 5 min intervals over 10 weeks (across the full power profile) in competitive cyclists in the reference below.

Reference: Short intervals induce superior training adaptations compared with long intervals in cyclists – An effort-matched approach.
Ronnestad et al, 2014. The paper is very much worth reading for several reasons.

Quote Reply
Re: The Vo2 Max intervals I've been doing... [TOMOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found that a while back and I've been doing this same thing for about 10 weeks now. I don't do it twice per week (I only do it once and I pair it with over/under intervals and a long ride with an FTP focus).

I think the target of 130% is tough if your RI is only 15 seconds. I actually changed it a bit up until this week. I was doing 30WI/30RI at ~150% for WI and my rest interval was simply easy pedaling with no target. There's no way I could've held 150% if the RI was 75%. I was normally around 50-60% for the RIs.

This past week I did the 30/15 and it was quite tough. I decided since the rest would be cut in half from what I was used to that I'd lower the WI target so I went for the 120-130% range. That was tough enough.

I wasn't sure what the next step would be though. Do I add more intervals or do I increase the WI or increase the target for the WI.

I haven't retested my FTP since starting these, but I can tell that my longer ride intervals don't seem nearly as difficult as they used to which is good. What has your experience been so far?

http://triathletelife.wordpress.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Vo2 Max intervals I've been doing... [mkerley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mkerley wrote:
I found that a while back and I've been doing this same thing for about 10 weeks now. I don't do it twice per week (I only do it once and I pair it with over/under intervals and a long ride with an FTP focus).

I think the target of 130% is tough if your RI is only 15 seconds. I actually changed it a bit up until this week. I was doing 30WI/30RI at ~150% for WI and my rest interval was simply easy pedaling with no target. There's no way I could've held 150% if the RI was 75%. I was normally around 50-60% for the RIs.

This past week I did the 30/15 and it was quite tough. I decided since the rest would be cut in half from what I was used to that I'd lower the WI target so I went for the 120-130% range. That was tough enough.

I wasn't sure what the next step would be though. Do I add more intervals or do I increase the WI or increase the target for the WI.

I haven't retested my FTP since starting these, but I can tell that my longer ride intervals don't seem nearly as difficult as they used to which is good. What has your experience been so far?

I think you're definitely seriously changing the protocol - going from 30:15 to 30:30 with lower power in the OFF cycle. You're compensating with higher power in the ON cycle, but probably >> pVo2max.

So, I would go so far as to say that you're doing 30 sec sprint intervals alright, but otherwise not following the protocol in this paper at all.

Also, it's in the context of a polarized intensity distribution across the week.

For myself, it's too early to tell the effectiveness, but I find them just about manageable, and I'll keep them up for a few more weeks until the season begins to die down. They FEEL right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a 5 page thread on that study here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._debunked_P4919542-2

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: The Vo2 Max intervals I've been doing... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
There's a 5 page thread on that study here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._debunked_P4919542-2

Maurice

Balls!

Thanks - I did search for 'Ronnestad' and 'sprint intervals' but it hadn't appeared to have been discussed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave these a go today on the trainer and while they look easy on paper, they really hurt. I couldn't hit 130% FTP though, I was closer to 120%, perhaps after a few more sessions I'll be able to hit some higher numbers, I just went as hard as my legs would allow.
Quote Reply
Re: The Vo2 Max intervals I've been doing... [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom1111 wrote:
I gave these a go today on the trainer and while they look easy on paper, they really hurt. I couldn't hit 130% FTP though, I was closer to 120%, perhaps after a few more sessions I'll be able to hit some higher numbers, I just went as hard as my legs would allow.

The 130% isn't a target really, I just looked at the data and estimated what a good number would be in order to have some idea what I should start at. This study had no target power as such, just go as hard as you can while maintaining the power. In the study, interval power was individually optimized per person in order to get the highest average power across the intervals. So looks like you're taking the right approach.

I think the 15 sec OFF at 50% power (as opposed to much less) is also important, that's what makes it difficult IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TOMOP wrote:

I think the 15 sec OFF at 50% power (as opposed to much less) is also important, that's what makes it difficult IMO.

I think i went a bit high on the first set recovery power. Finding that balance and not going too hard in the first set is the hardest part of any interval training, it always feels easy when you're fresh, by the 3rd set your hanging on and wanting the pain to stop haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Robert Gesink likes these also (https://www.strava.com/activities/378557749)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TOMOP wrote:
Was looking for an HIIT protocol to try (bike racing focus), so I picked the following. Only been doing them a couple of weeks, but I like them.

13 x (30 secs ON, 15 secs OFF)
Then 3 min recovery
Repeat a total of 3 times per session.
Two sessions per week (no more!), then low intensity training in the remaining sessions in the week.

I've done those at 40/20s. Still gives an average 10 min power in the lower vo2 max range.

I've only done it twice, though, and only when very well-rested.
Quote Reply
Re: The Vo2 Max intervals I've been doing... [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Robert Gesink likes these also (https://www.strava.com/activities/378557749)

Damn pro cyclists, his recovery phase is higher than my threshold.
Quote Reply