Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway
Quote | Reply
He actually has an even funnier name for this setup that starts with a B and ends with an R.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...nilstveit__5053.html

Last edited by: Herbert: May 5, 15 3:27
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Sigmund Nilstveit of Norway [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any pics of him riding that setup? (none on his website that I could find)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But isn't his name Gudmund?

That is the most phallic thing in the sport of cycling, especially when viewed from above.

Re: The Unicorn setup of Sigmund Nilstveit of Norway [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is Gudmund. That was a super sloppy error. It is corrected now, but sadly when changing the title of a story on the home page it also deletes all the facebook comments and likes. (Well, they stay with the bad title URL)
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be very curious to see a picture of him riding with that setup and to know if he has any before/after data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to the "Preying Landis" position that Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer, and some others used in 2006, 2007 timeframe. The UCI banned the position, of course. Supposed to be very aero, as much of the drag in a TT comes from air coming between the cyclists arms and into the body.
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Sigmund Nilstveit of Norway [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't find any pics or video, looks like Payx d'Aix was the debut of the Unicorn's boner.
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Sigmund Nilstveit of Norway [hisholiness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boner is what he calls that setup. :-) I called it Unicorn.
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [velogator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velogator wrote:
Similar to the "Preying Landis" position that Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer, and some others used in 2006, 2007 timeframe. The UCI banned the position, of course. Supposed to be very aero, as much of the drag in a TT comes from air coming between the cyclists arms and into the body.

That's, perhaps, some of what makes it aero if, indeed, it is more aero, but it's more about decreasing frontal area in the shoulders. Often times, a position like this will test fast when held stable in a tunnel, but the savings don't always transfer due to increased lean-steer while riding. It's not uncommon to see the same results with very narrow elbows - real world times don't seem to add up with what the tunnel predicts. On the other hand, I don't think a lot of people have tested over the course of time to allow a rider to adapt to an "extreme" position. I'm hoping to do that soon. So, this position could of, perhaps, slowed him initially, but once there was sufficient time to adapt, it was faster.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a position like this, what keeps the forearms from sliding down off the pads? Without having tried it, I would think there would need to be something to rest the elbows on to keep there from being a lot of tension in the upper body. Wasn't there a pro here on ST with a similar setup who used cups or something like that for such a purpose?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Sigmund Nilstveit of Norway [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJ Tollakson has a position like that with cups.
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool...are you thinking of testing that position? I seem to remember that the UCI didn't like it as it was an "artificial faring" 😁
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [velogator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a lot of luck angling the extension and pads up together, and the UCI now allows the tips of the extensions to be as much as 10cm above the pads; however, we haven't done anything quite as extreme as this. We just built up a "test vehicle" and will begin using it to have some fun conducting independent tests as well as bringing in other test riders to produce continuing aero data for publication.

Tomorrow, in fact, we'll be doing some behind the saddle hydration storage testing so more people can understand what works and why. Sorry, off topic.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds interesting...love to know how it goes! Using the position in competition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know which brake levers those are?
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [rowotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rowotter wrote:
Does anyone know which brake levers those are?

They are integrated into the Ventus bar.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
TJ Tollakson has a position like that with cups.

TJ actually rode his bike. As far as we know, what you have photographed is a mock-up, prototype, or hoax. Because, you know: pics or it didn't happen.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's a unicorn's boner.....

wait, do unicorns get boners?
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Sigmund Nilstveit of Norway [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have molded the cups (balls) on the boner to my elbows. So when i get sweaty it actually works as a suction cup, nice sound when i go out of the position. I made a steel boner testing jig. Waned to test if the mantis position actually was faster. I was thinking that cyclist testing in the windtunel forgot that sholders get lover if you just bend your handlebar up to the mantis position. You need to have the tip of your elbow at the pivot point. When i was roll testing i hoped to break the myth about the mantis. I was angry after testing, because the horizontal boner looks way cooler. In the beginning i was al over the road, so more aero, was mage slower, because i cycled longer distance. Now i have no problem holding a straight line. Saturday I'm gona do some filming for Coastman Norway in the corse of the competition. And i while be riding the Boner, or Unicorn.

http://www.gudmundsnilstveit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
velogator wrote:

If I remember correctly, there is a lot of individual variability in the "mantis" position, i.e. faster for some, slower for others. One needs a wind tunnel to tell for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tunnel might indicate if the static position is more aerodynamic but not if the position is faster. Field test and adaptation are required.
-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the headtube/fork/front wheel, it appears the fork has been modified to move the wheel anterior. Is this correct?
Quote Reply
Re: The Unicorn setup of Gudmund Nilstveit of Norway [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Tunnel might indicate if the static position is more aerodynamic but not if the position is faster. Field test and adaptation are required.
-SD

I think this is all too frequently forgotten. I discovered this myself when testing in the past. Faster is not always better, either.
Quote Reply