Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
By the way, since two of the 4 people on ST who care about Ultraman Hawaii are on this thread

Up to 4 people already…it will soon be time to find a new sport of interest. :)

Not to hijack Brad's thread since he is two young to waste his fast legs on ultraman, but after his last three weeks, he could go onto a 3 week taper, drink MaiTais in Kona and probably win ultraman Hawaii too or at least make the podium hurt badly.
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome race Brad, looking forward to competing against you next season when I age up to 25-29!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats. That's a pretty impressive streak.

Is your ftp set correctly in TP? Just wondering because 204 TSS seems crazy low. Did you take it pretty easy?

Quote | Reply
I don't know how you are using the width of the shadows to judge distance without knowing things like the aspect of the sun at that particular time of day in that specific location on the earth. The yellow dashed line down the middle of the road is a valid reference point and the shadows establish the spacing. You just need to know the distance between the yellow dashes (it's not random) to get a good estimate of the spacing of the riders. Looks like everyone except the one guy who might be passing is taking some liberties with the draft box but that's nothing new.

jonahsdad wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
It is a weird angle, not trying to defend it

I do agree, very hard to tell anything from that angle.

Look how thin those shadows are. If you look at the road there are clearly more than 4 shadow widths between each riders shadow. The only guy who might not be legal is the fifth guy back and he is still probably good. There are always many cheaters at IMFL, but not these guys.
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
By the way, since two of the 4 people on ST who care about Ultraman Hawaii are on this thread

Up to 4 people already…it will soon be time to find a new sport of interest. :)

Not to hijack Brad's thread since he is two young to waste his fast legs on ultraman, but after his last three weeks, he could go onto a 3 week taper, drink MaiTais in Kona and probably win ultraman Hawaii too or at least make the podium hurt badly.

Dev- I couldn't think of a better way to spend thanksgiving weekend before heading over to the middle east then thrashing myself around the big island ;) If you were to pull something together I might just consider ;)

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
tucktri wrote:
So what you're saying is you are pretty fast. Congrats

Actually I just looked I didn't mention fast anywhere in there. I got beat by 2 pro women at both Kona and IMFL, and I think Bek Keat got me at Austin 70.3 So nope I wouldn't say I am "fast". It is all relative though, I may be faster than you but I wouldn't know since you don't use your name. You may be the next world champ, I don't know.

Fast is a term that some people like to use, it is one that I don't use because there is always someone faster out there than you.

And I am sure someone will eventually say I need to start racing pro, I wrote this back in April, and almost all of it still holds true: http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...-pro-card-why-i.html

I do apologize if any sarcasm was detected there as it was not my intention. I guess I forgot to add the "holy shit" at the end.
And the only world championship I'm gonna win is the IPA drinking one. Again congrats, that is a sick stretch of racing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [snackchair] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snackchair wrote:
Congrats. That's a pretty impressive streak.

Is your ftp set correctly in TP? Just wondering because 204 TSS seems crazy low. Did you take it pretty easy?

FTP is set at 340. Some other reference points before telling you IMFL power #'s, which you probably already looked at.

S Beach OLY- 307 AP / 314 NP
Armed Forces Draft Legal OLY- 315 AP / 332 NP (I rode w/ EricM40-44 for 1 lap then solo for 1 lap bridging to a group then 2 laps with group)
Vineman 70.3- 295 AP / 305 NP
Kona- 234 AP / 245 NP
Austin 70.3- 258 AP / 266 NP
IMFL- 221 AP / 226 NP

Took it easy? In terms of the numbers yes it was easy, in terms of effort I felt like I was riding the same as Kona. Fatigue in the body, yes. I wasn't really worried about power at IMFL, I knew the run was where it was going to matter, and I think the power being low was the main reason I ran well.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
afbadbrad wrote:
tucktri wrote:
So what you're saying is you are pretty fast. Congrats

Actually I just looked I didn't mention fast anywhere in there. I got beat by 2 pro women at both Kona and IMFL, and I think Bek Keat got me at Austin 70.3 So nope I wouldn't say I am "fast". It is all relative though, I may be faster than you but I wouldn't know since you don't use your name. You may be the next world champ, I don't know.

Fast is a term that some people like to use, it is one that I don't use because there is always someone faster out there than you.

And I am sure someone will eventually say I need to start racing pro, I wrote this back in April, and almost all of it still holds true: http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...-pro-card-why-i.html

I do apologize if any sarcasm was detected there as it was not my intention. I guess I forgot to add the "holy shit" at the end.
And the only world championship I'm gonna win is the IPA drinking one. Again congrats, that is a sick stretch of racing.

Figured it was just the typical ST troll ;) Beer Mile w/ IPA, count me in and let me know where ;) Thanks for the follow up and apology, all though it wasn't needed.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:

FTP is set at 340. Some other reference points before telling you IMFL power #'s, which you probably already looked at.

S Beach OLY- 307 AP / 314 NP
Armed Forces Draft Legal OLY- 315 AP / 332 NP (I rode w/ EricM40-44 for 1 lap then solo for 1 lap bridging to a group then 2 laps with group)
Vineman 70.3- 295 AP / 305 NP
Kona- 234 AP / 245 NP
Austin 70.3- 258 AP / 266 NP
IMFL- 221 AP / 226 NP

Took it easy? In terms of the numbers yes it was easy, in terms of effort I felt like I was riding the same as Kona. Fatigue in the body, yes. I wasn't really worried about power at IMFL, I knew the run was where it was going to matter, and I think the power being low was the main reason I ran well.

Nice race. What bike and wheels for FL?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So... are you planning something like that ever again?
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [ninesixfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninesixfour wrote:
Nice race. What bike and wheels for FL?

Same as Kona except front wheel and helmet was actual not Wing57 (in hindsight guess I should have worn the 57 ;) ), here is the setup:

Frame- 2008 Cervelo P3C
Gruppo- DuraAce 7800
Powermeter- Quarq Elsa with 172.5mm
Bike Computer- Garmin Edge 800
Race Wheels- HED JET 9 / JET 9 w/ Continental Force/Attack w/ Conti Butyl Tubes
Saddle- ISM Adamo Podium
Cockpit- 3T
Bottle Cages- Arundel Mandible
Pedals- TimeiClic
Shoes- Specialized S-Works Road Shoes w/ no socks
Suit- Kiwami Konami One Piece w/ Castelli T1 Stealth Top
Helmet- Rudy Project Wingspan
Glasses- Infite Hero Oakley Radar Paths

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not as of now, the only thing crazier would be if Dev was being serious about racing Ultraman ;) No plans as of now for anything crazy, trying to map out my 2014 season now and nothing like that is on the calendar.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work, Brad. Sorry we never connected afterwards, I was still feeling pretty dead all day Sunday.

What's on tap for you for next year? Any big races besides MTB and Kona?

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering Challenge Atlantic City.......Want to become part of "the family" ;) It actually lines up well with MTB and Kona in my opinion, so we will see what coach thinks.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Not as of now, the only thing crazier would be if Dev was being serious about racing Ultraman ;) No plans as of now for anything crazy, trying to map out my 2014 season now and nothing like that is on the calendar.

2 full IM's + a half IM in 21 days...now you can taper for 18 days and cram in a bit less than the same distance in 3 days! Half kidding. Just saying that the tools appear to be there, but I agree they would be partially wasted effort and mainly older guys should be doing that. You are young, so spend your time getting your 5-10K run time, your 1500m swim time and your FTP up because you can and that will help a lot over these long events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is beast work for one month of racing! And it wasn't a few local BS races, either. Not only was the racing intense, that amount of travel would be a killer for 90% of the population.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
Considering Challenge Atlantic City.......Want to become part of "the family" ;) It actually lines up well with MTB and Kona in my opinion, so we will see what coach thinks.

Away to Represent the Military and Team Red White and Blue.

Think you need to do REV3 Williamsburg, I will help with local logistics if you need any.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
afbadbrad wrote:

2 full IM's + a half IM in 21 days...now you can taper for 18 days and cram in a bit less than the same distance in 3 days! Half kidding. Just saying that the tools appear to be there, but I agree they would be partially wasted effort and mainly older guys should be doing that. You are young, so spend your time getting your 5-10K run time, your 1500m swim time and your FTP up because you can and that will help a lot over these long events.

Thanks Dev, yep the swim and run will be a big focus this year. Thanks again for the support and always nice to get your perspective on things.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: The Triple: Kona, Austin 70.3, & IMFL....2X Worlds Slots and Sub 9! [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I will keep that in mind. I have looked over the schedule and didn't really see anything that lined up with my race plan. Also, I am trying to race a bit more local to cut down on travel cost this year. I will write a blog in a month or so on what it took financially to race this year, and it is pretty scary looking back on it. Thanks for the offer and I appreciate the message.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad....it is only money.

Why do I say that ? Because everyone in the western hemisphere with moderate intelligence can earn OK money. Very few can pull off what you did. A lot of people would mortgage their house over 3 times and blow their kid's college saving for the physical abilities you have developed. You have your entire life to make money, but not your entire life to get fast at triathlon. Money comes and goes and you can always make more. The experiences you just went through, have gone through and will continue to go through can't be bought with money for most people, so keep doing what you are doing. You will appreciate this month more 20 years from now than you might today (not that you don't, you'll just appreciate it that much more).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again Dev. I don't look at it by any means as a waste of money, it is an investment in good health so 20 years from now I can still enjoy life :) All the best and have a great Veterans Day weekend (not sure if you guys celebrate Veterans day up in Canada the same day we do, but anyways, as a fellow military guy, thanks for your service!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow.. massive three weeks.

Although it was roll down, and as 25th on my age group, I took the spot to go to the 70.3 World Champs in Canada. Race Report here!
http://roadtoironmandaddy.blogspot.com/...ified-for-world.html

http://www.ironmanangolano.com/
- 10X IM 70.3, PB 4h:45
- 4X IM, PB 10h:16
- 1X IM 70.3 World Champs (2014)
Instagram @ironmanangolano
Quote Reply

Prev Next