Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Shakes After a Long Run
Quote | Reply
OK- So this is something that has happened to me more frequently than ever and I'm assuming it's because my training has been a lot more intense this year than ever. Does anyone ever experience the shakes after a long workout? I was assuming it was a blood sugar issue and whenever I would eat some fruit or drink fruit juice it would help at least for a little while-- but is that definitely what it is? Help! Give me your thoughts and experiences.

THANK YOU!!!

Kaitlin Switzer
KaitlinX3
Quote Reply
Re: The Shakes After a Long Run [KaitlinX3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a type 1 diabetic i can say the shakes is definately a symptom of low blood sugar. Might pay to fuel a bit more on the longer runs if you aren't already?
Do you get dizzy as well? How's your blood pressure?
One of the 'twitch docs will be able to help you a bit more than me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't been eating during your long runs then it's extremely likely that's your problem. And you might want to look at your nutritional intake overall too.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Mar 9, 17 0:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get them after longer workouts or races where I might have been under-fueled. I used to have the same problem after hockey games as well.

Normally a Pop-Tart cures the problem, sometimes I need to two. Strong Gatorade works well too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything 70.3 and longer, I feel like I'm freezing and shake quite a bit. Agree with what others have said, fuel more during the workout (simple carbs and electrolytes) and get a few hundred cals of recovery nutrition within 15 minutes of finishing.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: The Shakes After a Long Run [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't recommend simple carbs in isolation. Use a mix of complex and simple to reduce/avoid the 'crash and burn' that happens with simple alone. I actually avoid simple carbs pretty much entirely. My dentist doesn't particularly like me for that :-)

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply