Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Real Starky Radio
Quote | Reply
Who is listening to this?

The guy is an ass on twitter, but his interviews are great! How does this guy get Rinney and TO on and do the newlywed game? He even got he who shall not be named to talk about Steve Hed for 5 minutes.

Like him or not, he seems to be putting out some of the best content from top tier athletes that is going on right now.

(Sorry if there is another thread, couldn't find it in the search)

Keep Moving Forward
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [DA2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100% His podcasts are great and getting better but his Twitter persona could use some work.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the podcast. I would be great if the audio for the "other" people on the show was as good as his. Otherwise great show.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [Squidbilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Squidbilly wrote:
I like the podcast. I would be great if the audio for the "other" people on the show was as good as his. Otherwise great show.

How would you suggest that I pull that off considering that it's either over the phone or skype?

Website
Contact me for Huub and Falco Discounts
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [TheRealStarky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its pretty good - do you run it through a normalizer before publishing? that'll level out the audio a bit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry dude. I don't have an answer for that. I'm about as tech savy as my dead ferret. It might not be possible, I have no clue. FWIW, I do love the podcast and hope you don't think I was slamming you.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I use levelator. I suppose the next step is to buy better recording equipment, but the limiting factor will always be the other person's mic (skype) or phone.

Website
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [Squidbilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I was hoping you were a sound engineer or something. I'm all ears if someone has technical skills.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snail mail your guests better mics, then demand they mail them to the next guest. Can't possibly fail.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRealStarky wrote:
Squidbilly wrote:

How would you suggest that I pull that off considering that it's either over the phone or skype?

Rich Roll does a great job with that with his podcasts. He usually refuses to do Skype or phone interviews. Guests are usually over his house or he arranges his interviews while traveling. Skype will always stinks.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
Squidbilly wrote:

Rich Roll does a great job with that with his podcasts. He usually refuses to do Skype or phone interviews. Guests are usually over his house or he arranges his interviews while traveling. Skype will always stinks.

Skype may "stink", but it is way better than nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
TheRealStarky wrote:
Squidbilly wrote:

Rich reaches a huge audience because he was smart enough to abandon triathlon because it's extremely limiting. The number of people into wellness, nutrition, vegan-ism, and mediation is huge. He gets 50,000 listeners per show which could generate (based on my research) $2,500 per episode in ad revenue. Travelling to his guest to record makes sense for him.

On the other hand, I am an asshole with a Howard Stern / Dan Patrick / late night style talk show about a sport few people give a fuck about. My best episodes have gotten around 5,000 listeners. If I grow to 10,000 per show, it will be an unprecedented success for a show like ours and it would amount to not much more than extra beer money. My wife and I have agreed that on top of my full-time job, one evening per week to record and edit is a reasonable amount of time to put into something like this. This is a long explanation in order to tell you: I ain't traveling to interview guests, my brother. I'll try to catch people when they're in Austin and will do some face to face for IMTX. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Website
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
Snail mail your guests better mics, then demand they mail them to the next guest. Can't possibly fail.

You first.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally understand. It isn't easy to do and traveling isn't something anyone can do. The difference with him is he took it seriously and gave it 100% from the start. I think he did few skypes interviews when he first started. Go back and listen to his first few episodes and you can tell the difference. I think one of the first podcasts that actually made him and it was the the first one I listened to, was his interview with Macca (tri related). And since then I liked his style even though I am not vegan or plant based.

When I listen to podcasts, if the voice quality isn't good, I usually turn it off. Your audio is the only connection you have with the audience, if it isn't good, then it's a turn off.

Controversial ass holes like yourself seems to get a lot of following = listeners. So, if you do it right, you might actually do well. But I am with you with the full time job and family obligation.

Damn, I didn't know you can generate that much from podcasts. Might need to start one :)

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. The Rinny/Tim interview was good - light hearted and not entirely about sport for a change. Didn't like the build-up to the interview - it's quite an art to talk incessantly and not actually say alot. Had to fast forward through all that, as I've said elsewhere, so apols to the podcaster(s). Have downloaded the LA one....
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:
Yes. The Rinny/Tim interview was good - light hearted and not entirely about sport for a change. Didn't like the build-up to the interview - it's quite an art to talk incessantly and not actually say alot. Had to fast forward through all that, as I've said elsewhere, so apols to the podcaster(s). Have downloaded the LA one....

It's funny, our episode with just Dark Mark and I "talking incessantly and not saying alot" got more downloads than a majority of the episodes with athlete interviews. If you're not a fan of our humor, feel free to skip to the interviews. You, however, are in the minority.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am...best thing to happen to triathlon since the aero helmet. In a world where nobody wanted to raise some awareness about the current problems other than just bitching...this guy went and did something about it. It might be small steps, but nevertheless.

Rattlesnake Blake
With the "Venom Enom"
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [Rattlesnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree about the "this guy went and did something about it"

The Lake Placid "stunt" was classic. It also showed just how little our sports biggest race series gives back to pro's.

I have a buddy who has his "pro" card for bowling. He finished 8th and 10th at big events last year...cleared over $11,000
Most of the pro's that toed the line in Kona never made that much prize money from the WTC, let alone that far down and in only 2 events.

The podcast sounds just fine to me...but I could care less about a little static...I still like to listen to the vinyl, so that could be it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That may well be the case. Perhaps the humour just doesn't travel well across the Pond - it often doesn't work the other way. No offence meant. Apols. I've already said I liked the interview.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vancity wrote:
I think its pretty good - do you run it through a normalizer before publishing? that'll level out the audio a bit

Believe me, after spending some time with TRS in Austin at his house I can say I was shocked to see the setup as is. He sits in a small small stuffy closet with the door closed and blankets around. He isn't an IT guy, audiophile, or have any background from what I can tell so with that being said I'm pretty impressed with how good things sound on his end.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly wasn't offended. Happy to have you enjoy the interviews.

Website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really enjoying TRS's stuff and I've listened to all of them.

I've said it before but I think the biggest thing he gets better than any other voices out there is that when it comes to "following" professional triathlon it's only value is entertainment value. That means it has to be fun. That means that the athlete's need to have personality, need rivalries, need some kind of drama and intrigue. Hearing about how it's just me and my 20 good buddies lining up and I hope one of us is faster is boring (sorry Bob). Hearing Rinny call out Chrissie is fun. Hearing Starky call out the Colonel as not feeling pain - totally misleading, but creates drama. Harry Wiltshire recounting his experience swimming in Gomez's arm pit? Interesting as all get out.

The thing is, you can't create that stuff without somebody getting a toe stepped on. Most interviewers wouldn't step on toes or put people in a position to do so out of fear for their future guest roll or sponsors. TRS just doesn't care because he isn't relying on it anyway.

If you're reading this TRS, seriously consider setting up a Patreon account. I'd chip in some funding to keep you on the air.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the awesomeness of the show.
Quote Reply
Re: The Real Starky Radio [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OkotoksLawyer wrote:
I'm really enjoying TRS's stuff and I've listened to all of them.

I've said it before but I think the biggest thing he gets better than any other voices out there is that when it comes to "following" professional triathlon it's only value is entertainment value. That means it has to be fun. That means that the athlete's need to have personality, need rivalries, need some kind of drama and intrigue. Hearing about how it's just me and my 20 good buddies lining up and I hope one of us is faster is boring (sorry Bob). Hearing Rinny call out Chrissie is fun. Hearing Starky call out the Colonel as not feeling pain - totally misleading, but creates drama. Harry Wiltshire recounting his experience swimming in Gomez's arm pit? Interesting as all get out.

The thing is, you can't create that stuff without somebody getting a toe stepped on. Most interviewers wouldn't step on toes or put people in a position to do so out of fear for their future guest roll or sponsors. TRS just doesn't care because he isn't relying on it anyway.

If you're reading this TRS, seriously consider setting up a Patreon account. I'd chip in some funding to keep you on the air.

Somewhat apropos to this topic, I just listened to the Jesse Browns Canadaland podcast with Ed the Sock.
http://canadalandshow.com/...secret-diary-ed-sock
You wanted Ed the Sock to interview your favourite celebrities.
He was humorous and sometimes insulted his interviewees... but it was almost always awesome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your shows are awesome... you are really great at what you are doing - keep doing it !

...and thanks !
Quote Reply

Prev Next