Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The REAL Queen of Kona
Quote | Reply
PNF won it 8x. Chrissy never lost. Mirinda holds the course record & is current champ. But who is the REAL Queen & do you base it off of which factors? Number of times won? Speed on the course? Or having never lost?

IMO, first to go out the door is Mirinda. Awesome record & the fastest time. But she never beat Chrissy--not even a road-rashed limping beat up Chrissy on her worst feeling day. We will never know if Chrissy was even holding back enough just taunting Rinny by being just out of range. CW may have been able to go much faster than Mirinda's current course record but had no reason to.

PNF won it more than anyone & how would she stack up against CW & MC these days with technology & having to raise her game to keep pace? Maybe MC's record has something to do with more ideal race conditions that allowed her to go faster? Was PNF's competition more "watered down" quality wise than today (just saying that because there is a huge number of "out of the woodwork sub 9 hour finishers" all over the globe in the women's pro fields) just in the last few years.
The sad thing about seeing Chrissy retire is when she went out on top, may have been able to dominate even up until today, keeping MC at bay from winning anything there to date.
But the undeniable ability of MC to have that never say die attitude & just keep going makes me never bet against her for the W in Kona--she is, without a doubt, THE force to be reckoned with for Kona.
In the end, it doesn't really matter--but the curious question is who is the REAL Queen of Kona & what do you base it off of? Current active status, x-won, OA, having never lost?

When I hear people say so & so the "Queen of Kona" I just laugh, because you have to also remember they used to called Natasha Badman that, PNF, CW, MC...they (WTC) may be going off of the current previous year's winner status. Which means, if RYF wins this year, she will be Queen next year?
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you if I held the course record at Kona, I'd certainly call myself the Queen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
When I hear people say so & so the "Queen of Kona" I just laugh, because you have to also remember they used to called Natasha Badman that, PNF, CW, MC...they (WTC) may be going off of the current previous year's winner status. Which means, if RYF wins this year, she will be Queen next year?

Who are these people? You named a lot of great Ironman champions, but the only one I have ever heard referred to as the Queen of Kona is Paula Newby-Fraser. Until someone (male or female) equals her record there really isn't anything to debate.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Who are these people? You named a lot of great Ironman champions, but the only one I have ever heard referred to as the Queen of Kona is Paula Newby-Fraser. Until someone (male or female) equals her record there really isn't anything to debate.

Agreed. Not just the number of wins, but the fact that she finished top 15 overall a few times. PNF is the Queen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the words of Jerry Seinfeld, "I'm not really sure how official any of these titles are".

I would say PNF but it's an undefined term, why would it matter who it's assigned to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PNF is the Queen of Kona.
In any sport greatness always comes down to how many times someone or a team wins the big one. People don't usually even remember the details other than who won.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc has the correct answer. Paula's record will be difficult to top.
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So by that logic Craig Alexander is King over Mark Allen or Dave Scott?

DJRed wrote:
I can tell you if I held the course record at Kona, I'd certainly call myself the Queen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No room in the discussion for Natascha Badmann?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To paraphrase Ric Flair: "To BE the Queen, you gotta BEAT the Queen"

Karen Smyers BEAT the Queen, then the Queen beat her back

Gotta go PNF

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

Course records have a lot to do with conditions on the day.

That said, I'm pretty sure you'll be calling Ryf "Queen" soon...
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She could be Queen if it were based on smile, popularity, longevity and competitiveness. But she didn't dominate like Paula dominated.
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She won Hawaii six times. That puts her ahead of the other contenders. I have no dog in the fight, but I thought her name should be included.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree she certainly is worthy of consideration. In fact I love what she brings to the sport and the fact that she is still a strong competitor. She still hammers on that Cheetah.
Last edited by: arby: Oct 2, 15 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought that Cheetah was the epitome of cool. If I recall correctly, there was no base bar on that bike. She just had the aero extensions. I think Lori Bowden also rode a Cheetah to at least on of her Hawaii wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang! That looks like serious business. I like the duct tape around the seat post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a Tweet by Outside Magazine I believe a few days ago that called MC that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chrissy never lost - but she also didn't race the day she thought she might lose. She DNSed instead of losing. Circumstances of that DNS claim she was "sick" but who knows if that is the real reason or she just felt like she couldn't win that day. I would actually count her out of the "Queen" title for that. She bowed out of racing altogether after the next year. Perhaps she felt she could no longer keep winning, so chose to not lose.

Rinny? Maybe. Admittedly I am a huge fan of her's but to call her the "Queen" just yet is perhaps premature. We need to wait until her career is over be able to actually judge that. Yes she holds the course record and for that she gets a lot of "extra credit" but that extra credit will go away if someone else takes the record away.
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all due respect, I don't think Rinny would have ever beaten Chrissie. People forget that Chrissie was not just a good swimmer and axe on the bike, she was a great runner as well. I don't think Rinny could have given up her standard 10 minutes or more on the bike to Chrissie and then run her down. She may have put a minute or two into her, but that's it. Look at 2011. That year a very injured Chrissie came out of the water behind Mirinda, still crushed her by 7 minutes on the bike and then ran essentially even with her (she was 30 seconds slower, but that was lost in the finishing chute when the race was in hand). And that was a marginal Chrissie. Rinny is a top 5 as far as I am concerned (throw in Badmann and Erin Baker), but Chrissie and PNF are a level above the rest. Chrissie on level of dominance, PNF on volume.

But as far as Queen, I gotta give it to PNF just because 8 wins in 11 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you stacked all the female winners in their prime for a single race, Chrissie would still win. But only for a single Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimmy d wrote:
She won Hawaii six times. That puts her ahead of the other contenders. I have no dog in the fight, but I thought her name should be included.

PNF was the Queen. Badmann would be next in line. Then the rest. We will never know about Chrissy though. She would have probably surpassed them all, but she had other goals in life to move on to. Good for her. She came, she dominated/destroyed and did her thing and moved on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fernanda Keller is the real Queen of Kona.
Sexy, prettiest ever ...
Quote Reply
Re: The REAL Queen of Kona [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because she was sick and you don't believe her wow!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read the 2nd to last line of the OP, Natasha is in there...actually, at one of the Kona Parade of Nations, several I recall actually, she was in a convertible that had "Queen of Kona" on the side of the car. If I recall she was winning a bunch of them at the time. Then again, I remember PNF doing the same some years before that in the Parade...so not sure if the Parade has any "official" bearing on that title or not, or if anyone is responsible for crowning someone with that title. It doesn't matter much of anything anyhow, it was all just fun discussion but the question did come up--so figured this would be a good collective place to toss it around. ST'rs like to toss this stuff around in debate at times (like who makes the fastest frame or wheels, most aero helmet). It's all tri related and this is a discussion forum, good entertainment.
Quote Reply

Prev Next