Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Praying Mantis Is Dead For Me
Quote | Reply
So awhile ago I came here searching for some guidance in getting a more praying mantis front end. After some looking and talking to folks on this post, http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6476744#p6476744 , like user doublea334 . I decided to make my own aerobars. I used a conduit bender and T6061-T6 alloy from AZ Metals in mesa. The pads are custom foam aka $6 water resistant pipe insulation. The setup is ultra comfortable. I am also making some other bars with a rear angle for the Felt IA pads to go on so they have the ability to angle. I have enjoyed the process a lot and think for those of us with cockpits that aren't super adjustable in terms of getting different angles for pads or bars this is not a bad idea

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Last edited by: UOTriathlete: Jan 26, 18 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [UOTriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your top picture is similar to USE Tula 50* bend alloy bars, had for $55 USD from the UK... can you beat that price?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. $28. Also they aren't. They are 67 degrees but with longer flat part on the bottom for my bottle. Is it some kind of sin to make your own? And I'm not a business dude, I'm not competing with real companies on price. I just had a desire for a different product and instead of buying some bars that may or may not work I just made them and had a DIY project out of it. I aint here to put the aero bar companies out of business. If you like em thats cool

Professional Triathlete and Professional Orchestral Musician. Bikes, Bass, Beer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UOTriathlete wrote:
They are 67 degrees but with longer flat part on the bottom for my bottle.

this is the major problem i have with most heavily angled extensions. there exists no place to lay a bottle if you also have narrow arm pads. nice way to solve that issue: make your own.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I had my bottle in earlier and it worked well. Could do a low garmin mount too. Basically by lengthening the bottom part and making a bit sharper of angle later down the pipe It solved the issue of getting the hands to the right spot. Pretty much just playing around with the bender solved it. The only hard part was making the bars match as close as possible!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UOTriathlete wrote:
they are 67 degrees but with longer flat part on the bottom for my bottle.

I'm talking about using USE Tulas backwards, has the same longer flat part for a bottle mount.

Anyway, I wasn't criticising, good job!

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh my bad. But thanks man!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work! Like you and James mentioned, it's great to be able to have a super steep bend at the end to give room for a BTA bottle to lay on the hortizontal part of the extensions.

My weird bend bars were fine to rise up immediately from the elbow pads since I had the integrated nose cone bottle. But since changing bikes this year, I'm going to have to get some flat-steep bars like your first picture, but reversed.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh cool. Thanks for your help though man!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks good

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Nice work! Like you and James mentioned, it's great to be able to have a super steep bend at the end to give room for a BTA bottle to lay on the hortizontal part of the extensions.

My weird bend bars were fine to rise up immediately from the elbow pads since I had the integrated nose cone bottle. But since changing bikes this year, I'm going to have to get some flat-steep bars like your first picture, but reversed.

if it were me I'd hang a Profile FC-35 or Torhans Aero30 from those extensions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning a FC25 but have it sit between my arms. Arm pads will be pedestalled up, so I want to keep that clean air gap below the extensions.
Also, the bike has a super narrow headtube, so adding anything in front of it will only increase its frontal area.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A is only half the equation of CdA..... consider Cd and the testing the Jim@ERO did regarding low slung hydration... read his blog

doublea334 wrote:
I'm planning a FC25 but have it sit between my arms. Arm pads will be pedestalled up, so I want to keep that clean air gap below the extensions.
Also, the bike has a super narrow headtube, so adding anything in front of it will only increase its frontal area.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have read it. Love his insights.

But have also read Cervelo talking about either haging no gap or lots of gap between basebar and extensions.

So something like Wurf, minus the massive engine to back it up.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read his blog after searching for it. Here is the link.

I wonder what the watts saved difference would be for really aerodynamic super bike front ends vs less integrated front ends.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job. Have you tried mounting a bta on the angled portion of the extensions? For me that’s the fastest configuration. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How so? Like have the bottle at an angle?

Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

I wonder what the watts saved difference would be for really aerodynamic super bike front ends vs less integrated front ends.

to me it doesn't matter... having 35oz of fluid at the ready at a net aero positive is all I need to know.

Don't get me wrong though... I don't even use that system as it doesn't quite work for my bike, so I use a normal BTA bottle. But it's something I prescribe frequently for my fit clients.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I use the FC35 and like it. I have had problems with the rubber part where you put water in coming off because the elliptical top to a gatorade bottle gets stuck in it and that is what is used in IM events, but I agree the positive aero and definitely the amount of fluid in there is great. In fact, I only use the FC35 in races without any other hydration and grab bottles at each aid station to fill it up. It more than gets me to the aid stations on a course.

I ask because I am going from a fairly non integrated front end to an integrated front end bike and was thinking about placement and effect. I also am wondering how I can make the brackets more aero as the bottle itself is great, but the brackets are not, they have a lot of sharp edges.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

I apologize for that old link. Currently moving over the articles to a new site going live at the first of the year.

Unfortunately, Profile changed their mount and it, as far as I know, can't be mounted in a low position. I no longer recommend the bottle(s).

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a fun project. I always enjoy seeing others build/make their own stuff that fits their purpose :)
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

I apologize for that old link. Currently moving over the articles to a new site going live at the first of the year.

Unfortunately, Profile changed their mount and it, as far as I know, can't be mounted in a low position. I no longer recommend the bottle(s).

I think it's still good to go. Here's the new design below, and I also see little extender tabs that can be place in the bracket for wide extensions. Since the extension clamps are removable, I don't see why they can't be flipped. Also, with the extender tabs in place, the bottle can be placed much higher or much lower than it used to be.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However, if you have a big gap but fill most of it with a BTA system, you will likely not be seeing either of the suggested optimisation sweet spots?
I suspect that with level extensions and a BTA between the arms Cervelo's suggestions make sense. With a FC25 slung low between the arms and in front of the headtube it would, IIRC, line up with Jim's suggestion? However, if the bottle is between the pads and above the heatube, but your hands are well above either due to a steep mantis position, you might negate the benefits.

Another thought: A steeper angle starting further from the pads, in order to accommodate a bottle mount will likely mean there's a significant gap between the extensions and your forearms for much of the length of the extensions. That seems likely to have a larger Cd than if the extensions more closely followed the line of your arm. The extensions provide an ideal place to secure bottles for most non-mantis set-ups; but not so great for mantis. I'm using an FC25 on mine but the bars are only inclined about 15 degrees for most of the length with a ski bend below my wrist. It's possible to make the FC25 sit almost level and at a reaonable height relative to arms (top surface about level with centreline of forearms). I also have relatively little pedestaling so the keel of the FC25 is perhaps cleaning up the airflow in the space between the between the armpads and stem or at least doing no real harm.
If you're willing to do your own fabrication, I reckon there are better ways to mount a bottle to accommodate a steep mantis position - not that I've got one to suggest!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct. The added benefit is that you can actually use all the fluid in your bottle if you set your drink straw up correctly. Blocking the space between your forearms works well for some with a Mantis. For some it’s counter productive. It’s worth trying and testing. If you can make it work it’s a very practical setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Praying Mantis Bars [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kinda my wonder for testing. I usually run 3 bottles on board all normal and replace whatever bottle is between my aerobars. I'm probably just going to run normal bottles ziptied in cages between the bars tucked between my elbows. I wonder if I slid it out and at an angle if it would be quicker? Idk. I also have my arms pretty much as narrow as possible with hands totally together.

Quote Reply

Prev Next