Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World
Quote | Reply
A Chinese factory bike-maker called Pardus just came out with possibly the ugliest Time Trial bike since the Cervelo P5-X. This bike is triathlon's version of The Homer. The one nice thing I can say about it is that the front brake is a TRP 861 which is likely the best, most powerful front rim brake you can buy. I have one of these brakes and it's a beautiful thing I've been dying to use.

I would never buy the above bike, but this Pardus firm has caught my eye with their legacy model -- hat tip to Culprit for the referral -- and I'm considering ordering one instead of the Cervelo P4, because as far as I can tell the Pardus is the only bike on the market with P4-esque geo.

The 50 cm Pardus vis-a-vis the 51 cm P4 is 2 mm lower on the frame stack and 7 mm shorter on the frame reach. This bike looks so much like a P4 I might have it custom painted in classic P4 paint scheme just so triathletes don't throw rocks at me.

This bike has a direct mount front, standard interfaces, and comes in paint color of choice. What am I missing? Why is this bike not on ST's radar, except for the brand boner all of you guys have for Cervelo? Has anyone tried the Pardus? Has anyone been suffered debilitating injury while riding it? I figure it can't be more dangerous than a Felt IA, but lack of recourse in the event of paralysis unsettles me.

Note: I was considering building up a P4 solely for the purpose of demo-ing a bunch of the latest and greatest front end solutions over the winter -- which I'll review (read: shit on profusely) in a series of posts on these boards -- but the used P4 market is awful...sellers either don't have water bottles, or the frame is cracked, or they are charging outrageous amounts. Clearance issues, rear brake is shit, etc. It's hard out here in a short, tall, slack world, but we can vote with our wallets, and I just may.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pricing? how to order?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
pricing? how to order?

PM me. I'll bet we can get a volume discount.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not in the budget right now, but I'll probably be getting something next year and I'm making a shortlist.

Cannondale Slice is at the top of my list right now.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
not in the budget right now, but I'll probably be getting something next year and I'm making a shortlist.

Disc brakes or rim job?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

That gap behind the fork though.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:

Eyeball aero isn't reliable on that. DK tested that gap on the Tactical and it was faster than totally fared.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

Has anyone been suffered debilitating injury while riding it?

Or an Andean?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What gives the P4 it's cult following. I love it's looks but there's got to be more to it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
What gives the P4 it's cult following. I love it's looks but there's got to be more to it.

Cult following because it's Cervelo. They make great bikes and perhaps the fastest bikes, but that P4 ripoff well configured, with a rear wheel that fits and braking that stops the bike...well, forget the brand.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
kileyay wrote:

Has anyone been suffered debilitating injury while riding it?

Or an Andean?

Only if you are an idiot consumer or an incompetent LBS and contaminate the bearings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Disc brakes or rim job?

rim. it ain't the fastest frame out there, but it's fine for my slow ass. I can make it work slammed, but my position will be changing a bit over the winter, so I don't want to commit to a new frame just yet.

if you want long and low and chinese, also have a look at dengfu. the FM068 looks like a contender for me too, and it's a frameset which, for me, just means new cranks and BB, and probably a rear brake.

That said, still leaning toward the Slice. support my LBS and all that, overall, with price a factor, I like it the best of the lines they carry (Cdale, Trek, Cervelo)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 22, 17 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Damn fast bike, can be/is faster than the p5 due to the geometry and the position you can get into if you fit long and low.

The difference at the time between at p3 and p4 was pretty considerable. But my guess is most bikes have easily closed that gap at this point. But nothing was close to the p4 at the time if it got you into a position that bike that you couldn’t in others.

The back brake was junk and they were caught with their pants down on the switch to wider wheels so disc wheels were a super tight fit and may rub.

I’ve rode the p3/p4/p5. The p5 is a much better bike overall. But if I had the chance to test head to head based on the position I could get into on the p4 my guess is it’d may be slightly faster for me.

End of day, the love for it is driven by the geometry and at the time and still is a very fast bike. Finding that geometry now is tough if not impossible for a lot of people.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are forgetting about weight. Someone told me a while back -- and this could be totally untrue -- that Ty Butterfield is riding the P5 instead of the P5-X because it's quite a bit lighter. Based on the results from our testing, weight consideration on a hilly course like 70.3 worlds would bring these bikes into virtual parity. And the P4 was significantly lighter than the P5, with the same margin in aero. So on tougher courses, the P4 in design direction is the best bike.

The P5 was a better bike only in the sense that it didn't have the braking, clearance, routing, etc. issues of the P4. And it had hydraulic brakes, if you're into that. But it wasn't really faster, was it? And who wants that chintzy beard on their bike, not to mention the pain of travel relative to standard interfaces. And it shipped with a SLOW bar. And no integration. At least the P4 could fit a flat kit in the bottle.

The P5 was a whiff in every aspect except sales, in my opinion. It sold on brand equity and perception of aero supremacy. Because Cervelo.

The P4 has the most aggressive geo, of course, but that's relevant to like 7 of us on Slowtwitch and not to the broader market. The only reason I need something this long and low is because I'm sick of the undermount setups and bar limitations of my particular coordinates. But that's not most people. So I sympathize with the manufacturers on this, as most everyone can hit their numbers on the P5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which front brake would you run?

Do you think the TRP is more powerful than the EE? Bold claim, if so.

I'm not convinced you couldn't clean up the new Pardus to be no worse looking than a Speed Concept, and have the benefit of the TRP brake; just scrap some of the add-on compartments.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Which front brake would you run?

Do you think the TRP is more powerful than the EE? Bold claim, if so.

I'm not convinced you couldn't clean up the new Pardus to be no worse looking than a Speed Concept, and have the benefit of the TRP brake; just scrap some of the add-on compartments.

Unless I could get a custom fork that would interface well with it, I'd need to run the Omega X in front. The reason is width. The TRP brake is wide, and the fork for the Pardus is not nearly as wide, supposedly. Which of course would disrupt the laminar flow around the brake/fork interface and make me slow. I guess I could train on it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pardus Time Trial Bike (Legacy Model) vs. the Cervelo P4: Long and Low Geo in a Short/Tall World [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and not sure vis-a-vis the ee brake. My sense is that the TRP would be better just because it is unencumbered by weight weenieism. You have to think that Cane Creek made compromises in power to achieve weight ends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
You are forgetting about weight. Someone told me a while back -- and this could be totally untrue -- that Ty Butterfield is riding the P5 instead of the P5-X because it's quite a bit lighter. Based on the results from our testing, weight consideration on a hilly course like 70.3 worlds would bring these bikes into virtual parity. And the P4 was significantly lighter than the P5, with the same margin in aero. So on tougher courses, the P4 in design direction is the best bike.

The P5 was a better bike only in the sense that it didn't have the braking, clearance, routing, etc. issues of the P4. And it had hydraulic brakes, if you're into that. But it wasn't really faster, was it? And who wants that chintzy beard on their bike, not to mention the pain of travel relative to standard interfaces. And it shipped with a SLOW bar. And no integration. At least the P4 could fit a flat kit in the bottle.

The P5 was a whiff in every aspect except sales, in my opinion. It sold on brand equity and perception of aero supremacy. Because Cervelo.

The P4 has the most aggressive geo, of course, but that's relevant to like 7 of us on Slowtwitch and not to the broader market. The only reason I need something this long and low is because I'm sick of the undermount setups and bar limitations of my particular coordinates. But that's not most people. So I sympathize with the manufacturers on this, as most everyone can hit their numbers on the P5.

I'm one of the Magnificent Seven
P4 was a faster bike - for me - than my P5 is.
And a better climber too, but that also might have something to do with an aging motor.

I hate that Cervelo raised the stack on the P5 vs P4.
But yeah, the P5 is much less finicky and easier to live with, and has actual brakes that actually work.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my 2011 P4 and have yet to see a bike that would make me want to upgrade.

I have extra water bottles if you want to make a flat kit. The upgraded rear brake on the 2011 model was much better than the original brake (I heard, never rode the 2009 model). While it's not like having a Dura Ace/Ultregra side pull brake, if you have a good brake on the front wheel, the bike can stop just fine. Clearance can be a slight issue, but I've run 808 FC sized wheels with 23 mm tires just fine. A flat disc is actually faster on the bike, and it's cheaper to find as well.

I'm actually thinking about a new front end for the bike so if you'd like help for your project, let me know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The p5-6’s bar as far as I know is that slow. Maybe it is but not seeing why it would be minus that it’s but stupid deep like ventus was.

I love the brakes on the p5 by far the best I’ve had on a bike and traveling the extra work is minimal compared to a stardust’s bike. Maybe 5 mins more if that.

Unless someone has done a 3rd party test to show otherwise the p5-6 came in speed wise pretty much where they said. But yes you do run into issues if it’s not going to get you a faster fit.

Given I live right outside the foothills and how crappy the braking was on the p4 I probabaly wouldn’t ride it here. But I wouldn’t mind picking one up again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Oh, and not sure vis-a-vis the ee brake. My sense is that the TRP would be better just because it is unencumbered by weight weenieism. You have to think that Cane Creek made compromises in power to achieve weight ends.

Fairwheel pulled down the full review, but here's an excerpt. not: Canecreek has made some minor changes since this review when Craig Edwards was producing EE brakes, but none of the changes would affect braking force. What's impressive are the ultralight THM brakes, which have been updated since the below testing and are supposedly even better - looking forward to see how THM influences 3T.

Fairwheel wrote:
Force to reach maximum braking. Through some different experiments with different riders of different sizes and different wheels we determined a good average of maximum braking force is 90 pounds of force at the caliper. This is a hard braking effort, but in many cases not hard enough to lock up the wheel. We measured how much force was needed to pull the cable in order for the caliper to reach 90 pounds of compressive force. So without going too far into explaining the test here are the results.

Shimano 7900: 65.3
Thm Fibula: 66.5
Shimano 9000: 68
Sram Red Aero link: 69
EE Cycleworks: 72
Campag Super Record Dual pivot: 73
Far and Near: 75.5
Kcnc CB3: 84
Kcnc C7: 86
Kcnc CB4: 88
Kcnc C6: 101.5
Campag Super Record Single pivot: 102

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:

What's your thoughts on the QR PR 5 or 6?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
davews09 wrote:

Eyeball aero isn't reliable on that. DK tested that gap on the Tactical and it was faster than totally fared.

Eyeball aero is just that, at least cervelo gives you numbers. OTOH, plenty of races have been won on China bikes.

That Mao Zedong paint job is enough to turn me of though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you consider the Fuji Norcom Straight? A size 51 has a 493/405 stack/reach which isn't quite P4 low/long, but is close relative to modern Cervelos and most other newer designed frames.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply

Prev Next