Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Old Tick Tock
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I Need some advise on Heart Rate.

I am a big guy (think rugby player for 22 years) and only been doing this stuff for about a year now and know my fitness can be better.

Here is the problem...mostly on runs my heart rate goes bonkers. I feel I have more to give, but I dont know how safely I can continue to push. Admittedly at this point my breathing also suffer a bit but usually improve after the first 2km, but the heart rate remains a issue whenever I try to push the tempo.

Garmin says my avg HR is 171 for running and cycling over the last year (no race HR recorded) and I guess it might be higher in races; max measured was 195

Am I about to die or are we doing ok?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: The Old Tick Tock [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old are you? I'm sure anyone willing to answer this question will ask that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, as mentioned, please provide more details...age, weight, aerobic & endurance sport history, work-out data, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without a lot more detail we can't help much, but we probably can't help much anyway as we don't know if you have a medical condition that contraindicates running and/or high heart rates. If you haven't had a thorough exam by your primary and/or cardiologist I would get one. If you are over 40, what are you waiting for?

Yes, running hard can kill a small percentage of people.

On the other hand, which age group are you in? ;)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: The Old Tick Tock [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not very old. 29
95kg. Was 108kg at the start of the year.
lifelong athlete
big build muscular. ..but admittedly over weight.

Cycled since I was 2..played rugby for 22 years...surfed some and did some other things depending on the season but just started this tri thing Nov last year.

I have done about 10 races since then tri-cycle-dua-aqua-cross-run etc

working full time bashing keyboards

Any specific data from my garmin history that might help?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd second Robert's suggestion to get a thorough physical exam from your doctor. Need to get a check on your blood presssure, cholesterol, any obvious underlying cardiac issues, etc.

It sounds like your weight is an issue, since you've mentioned it a couple of times. If nothing else this would be a good time to clean up your diet and lose some weight. It gets harder to get it off as you get older.

Good luck,

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total Heart Rate Training by Joe Friel - very informative.
Quote Reply
Re: The Old Tick Tock [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really an issue-issue but im sure losing a bit more wont harm me.

I was at the doc just a week ago and blood pressure checked out very good in the basic assessment, I agree a full check up might be in order but the issue only really come out when running.

its not that I am particularly fast at 1 hour for 10km, but I want to improve without getting ahead of myself. My 5km time is right around 29 min so Its fair to say that I dont fade too much...consistently slow.

Quote Reply