Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Official Norseman 2017 Thread
Quote | Reply
http://nxtri.com/...man-experience-2017/

Exiting with some proper foreign competition after many years with Norwegian podiums.

[EDIT BY ADMIN: I edited the title just because this has turned into a super useful thread and it's way more than being about my doing the race. - Jordan]
Last edited by: Rappstar: Jun 13, 17 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am. Wrote a bunch about it here: https://rappstar.com/2017/06/09/bib-268/

TL;DR - I have always wanted to do the race, even since Bjorn did it in '05. Wasn't really sure I wanted to get back on the KQ train again this year, and when IMTX went sideways, that made the decision for me. Overall, this sort of race resonates with me a lot. I've been lucky to do some other "unique" races in my career, but nothing is quite like Norseman...


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | Facebook - Rappstar Racing | @rappstar

Ask me about: DiamondBack Bikes | Zipp | 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2017 | Quarq | SRAM | MatchRider | Kiwami | ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
http://nxtri.com/preparing-for-the-norseman-experience-2017/

Exiting with some proper foreign competition after many years with Norwegian podiums.

I can see that Harry Wiltshire is also racing


Member of Valhalla Racing Team
XC-skiing coach at Momentum Northwest
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See you there!

BIB 117

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I am. Wrote a bunch about it here: https://rappstar.com/2017/06/09/bib-268/

TL;DR - I have always wanted to do the race, even since Bjorn did it in '05. Wasn't really sure I wanted to get back on the KQ train again this year, and when IMTX went sideways, that made the decision for me. Overall, this sort of race resonates with me a lot. I've been lucky to do some other "unique" races in my career, but nothing is quite like Norseman...

Cool - great! Thanks for the write-up - enjoyable.
Go for course record! :-)

IIRC Bjoern had to do an extra 20k on the bike because the swim was moved in 2005, but still had a bike-time very competitive vs other years:-)

It'll be really exiting to se how you fare. I'm guessing you will be swimming and riding close to L.C. Vold - and perhaps last years winner - a long way, unless you can ride away from him /them on the first long climb. The other good cyclists will be far back in swim, and Harry will lead by good margin, but you'll catch him before 40k on the bike.

Hope you will enjoy your stay in Norway (I'm local:-) - hopefully you habe time to arrive some time before the race and spend some time to recon and enjoy the scenery:-)

PS! Wait for me at the top, I finally got lucky in the draw!
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I am. Wrote a bunch about it here: https://rappstar.com/2017/06/09/bib-268/

TL;DR - I have always wanted to do the race, even since Bjorn did it in '05. Wasn't really sure I wanted to get back on the KQ train again this year, and when IMTX went sideways, that made the decision for me. Overall, this sort of race resonates with me a lot. I've been lucky to do some other "unique" races in my career, but nothing is quite like Norseman...

Do they have a separate Pro field at Norseman? Do you have locals "crewing" for your up the mountain or are you bringing sherpas (literally). Ill be reading the link above while on the trainer today!
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- no pro field. Most years there are no pros. And this might be the first year ever where there's more than one on the start list.

- I'm bringing a crew


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | Facebook - Rappstar Racing | @rappstar

Ask me about: DiamondBack Bikes | Zipp | 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2017 | Quarq | SRAM | MatchRider | Kiwami | ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
- no pro field. Most years there are no pros. And this might be the first year ever where there's more than one on the start list.

- I'm bringing a crew

It is my understanding, that is a tough race to start due to demand (I could be wrong, it happens a lot). As a pro triathlete, can you just shoot an email to let them know you intend to race or is it normal processes for each an every competitor.

(I'm just curious, things like this don't bother me.. .I actually feel it should be easier for a pro)

Good on you for racing though. If I ever nail down nutrition on a full distance triathlon, I'd love to line up.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Per their website, they take 15 elite men, allocated by a jury based on merits. Must have gone under 9:15 in a 140.6 in the past 3 years. I'm guessing he got in with that pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, it's still reasonably tough then. I would assume they get a good lot more than 15 people who have gone under 9:15...

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what the "standard" procedure is for professionals. I've been a fan of this race almost since it's inception. And my first communication with the race director Dag Oliver was in 2011 after seeing Tim DeBoom race it. After my comeback from my accident and - in particular, as I talked about in that post, my experience at the 2011 Leadman Epic 250 in Vegas (6.5hrs on the bike in 100F+ temps, 12,000ft+ of climbing over 138mi/223km) - I knew Norseman was a race that I simply had to do. I've had numerous conversations with Dag since then, and he has indicated that I had a standing offer to race Norseman whenever I wanted to, not only because my success at tough races but also because of my larger triumph over adversity post-2010-crash.

So I think there was/is a mutual sense of respect here that means maybe I was given some special consideration in terms of entry. As I said, I can't speak to other pros experience. In my case, this is a race that I've always wanted to do, and that the race director has known I've always wanted to do, and I just had to ask. I'm grateful for that. And I realize that I have a responsibility to live up to as a result. And I intend to do so.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | Facebook - Rappstar Racing | @rappstar

Ask me about: DiamondBack Bikes | Zipp | 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2017 | Quarq | SRAM | MatchRider | Kiwami | ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing the race as well. Looking forward to it.
What are you doing, in terms of kit, to be ready for weather conditions? What are you planning to wear or have on hand that you would not typically have in an IM race?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I was hoping there would be a relationship like that. Best of luck!

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
I'll be doing the race as well. Looking forward to it.
What are you doing, in terms of kit, to be ready for weather conditions? What are you planning to wear or have on hand that you would not typically have in an IM race?
Thanks

I'm planning to wear a basic tri suit because that's the easiest to layer on top of.

I will bring in my support car:
- lightweight shell jacket
- thermal jacket
- thermal short sleeve jersey
- leg warmers
- neoprene gloves
- zip booties

I plan (tentatively) to start the bike with:
- toe covers
- wool socks (will bring a few different lengths)
- long sleeve Kiwami top
- lightweight shell vest
- lightweight gloves
- aero helmet (this helps a ton, in my experience. warm head = warm body)
- knee warmers

This is a very tentative plan, and I'll modify the "what I wear" vs "what goes in the car" lists after some recon on the course the week of the race and based on weather forecasts.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | Facebook - Rappstar Racing | @rappstar

Ask me about: DiamondBack Bikes | Zipp | 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2017 | Quarq | SRAM | MatchRider | Kiwami | ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great! Keep the planning details coming!

What tires/tubes will you be using?

Bib #143

John
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Jmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jmercer wrote:
Great! Keep the planning details coming!

What tires/tubes will you be using?

Bib #143

John

Given that the roads are supposed to be rough, Specialized Turbo Cotton 24 with latex tubes and orange seal endurance inside.

Plan to run 808 fr/rr or maybe the new 454 disc front and rear.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | Facebook - Rappstar Racing | @rappstar

Ask me about: DiamondBack Bikes | Zipp | 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2017 | Quarq | SRAM | MatchRider | Kiwami | ROKA
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
rhayden wrote:
I'll be doing the race as well. Looking forward to it.
What are you doing, in terms of kit, to be ready for weather conditions? What are you planning to wear or have on hand that you would not typically have in an IM race?
Thanks


I'm planning to wear a basic tri suit because that's the easiest to layer on top of.

I will bring in my support car:
- lightweight shell jacket
- thermal jacket
- thermal short sleeve jersey
- leg warmers
- neoprene gloves
- zip booties

I plan (tentatively) to start the bike with:
- toe covers
- wool socks (will bring a few different lengths)
- long sleeve Kiwami top
- lightweight shell vest
- lightweight gloves
- aero helmet (this helps a ton, in my experience. warm head = warm body)
- knee warmers

This is a very tentative plan, and I'll modify the "what I wear" vs "what goes in the car" lists after some recon on the course the week of the race and based on weather forecasts.

Best of luck and thanks for sharing your prep. You'll also have around 30 less pounds of insulation compared to Bjorn!
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Jmercer wrote:
Great! Keep the planning details coming!

What tires/tubes will you be using?

Bib #143

John

Given that the roads are supposed to be rough, Specialized Turbo Cotton 24 with latex tubes and orange seal endurance inside.

Plan to run 808 fr/rr or maybe the new 454 disc front and rear.

Different definitions of rough - of course - but long parts of the flatter-faster section is actually pretty newly paved with good surface (from top of first climb to Geilo). Last downhill section from top og last climb is pretty rough though.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
Jmercer wrote:
Great! Keep the planning details coming!

What tires/tubes will you be using?

Bib #143

John


Given that the roads are supposed to be rough, Specialized Turbo Cotton 24 with latex tubes and orange seal endurance inside.

Plan to run 808 fr/rr or maybe the new 454 disc front and rear.


Different definitions of rough - of course - but long parts of the flatter-faster section is actually pretty newly paved with good surface (from top of first climb to Geilo). Last downhill section from top og last climb is pretty rough though.


define rough. rough like chip seal or rough like potholes and poor repair from poor maintnance and frost heave.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan,

This topic deserves its own thread, but chiming in here as I value your input. I look forward to meeting you in Norway!

Have you begun planning logistics for bike support? For example, how often will you rendezvous with your support team? Will you identify specific rendezvous points based on a planned interval or go with the flow?

Ideally, I'd like two hours of fuel on board and see my crew once an hour for a hand up. However, that is easier said than done. I'm interested in how others will handle this.

While Norseman's volatile weather speaks for itself, I was still a touch surprised to see you are going with the 808 rear instead of your standard disc. Was that a difficult decision for you?

Have you identified a "reflective vest" that meets our standards here on Slowtwitch? And what lights will you be running?

Edit; Roll Call and broader Q&A Here

Scott
Bib 117
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jun 12, 17 8:44
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hi Jordan,

This topic deserves its own thread, but chiming in here as I value your input. I look forward to meeting you in Norway!

Have you begun planning logistics for bike support? For example, how often will you rendezvous with your support team? Will you identify specific rendezvous points based on a planned interval or go with the flow?

Ideally, I'd like two hours of fuel on board and see my crew once an hour for a hand up. However, that is easier said than done. I'm interested in how others will handle this.

While Norseman's volatile weather speaks for itself, I was still a touch surprised to see you are going with the 808 rear instead of your standard disc. Was that a difficult decision for you?

Scott
Bib 117


Curious about this as well. I've been thinking about it quite a bit actually and have not formulated much of a plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best of luck to all who was accepted! Did it last year and it was a tremendous experience. Just hit me with questions. The climb that you meet after 25k running is like nothing you've experienced before..

Are you planning on using the Andean, Rappstar?
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will strongly recommend to drive through the bike leg.
The more knowledge you have, the less stress on race day.

It is especially important not only for you, but for you crew to know the road from Imingfjell to Austbydge (T2).

Race day will be long for the crew, so make sure they have enough food.

Remember the reflective vest you need and make sure they your lights on your bike stay on your bike.

Enjoy Norway :-)


Member of Valhalla Racing Team
XC-skiing coach at Momentum Northwest
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [timothy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timothy11 wrote:
Best of luck to all who was accepted! Did it last year and it was a tremendous experience. Just hit me with questions


Hello,

Can you comment on my question to Rapp above regarding bike support logistics? How would you plan and manage that aspect of the race if you were racing again?

To all; Interested in the voice of experience on this topic. Please chime in if you have any input.

Thanks,

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jun 12, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [timothy11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timothy11 wrote:
Best of luck to all who was accepted! Did it last year and it was a tremendous experience. Just hit me with questions. The climb that you meet after 25k running is like nothing you've experienced before..

Are you planning on using the Andean, Rappstar?

I was planning on the Andean. Given the weather, the reliability of braking would seem to me to hugely advantageous. Plus I can easily stash a vest and even some other basic gear - like knee warmers - in the trunk of the bike, which also would seem to be a massive advantage.


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | Facebook - Rappstar Racing | @rappstar

Ask me about: DiamondBack Bikes | Zipp | 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2017 | Quarq | SRAM | MatchRider | Kiwami | ROKA
Quote Reply

Prev Next