Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran compact and 11-28 as well. Spun out the 50/11 on some downhills but really needed the 34/28 on some of the steeper sections, especially part of the old road after 10-15k and up Imingfjell (which is not as bad as every says it is)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
53-39 and 12-30 for me.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
Halvard wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
One thing yet to be discussed here - what sort of gearing are you people going for? I guess Jordan wont be bringing a 1x, but I don't think I'll choose my gearing based on someone planning to do the ride closer to 300w than 200w avg.

I'm probably stuck with my 39/28 as easiest gear, which will maybe leave me a bit undergeared on the steepest sections. What are others going for?

I raced with a compact crank and with a 11-28 in back. I am glad I did. I could spin up the hills easily if needed and keep my HR down.
On race day I was 6.2 and 185 pounds.

And by compact i guess you mean a 50/34 up front right? So that your easiest gear was 34/28?

I've been thinking of switching to a 52/36 up front, to get down to a 36/28-combo, but just can't seem to justify the $$ it'lll cost me :) Hoping I'll be fine with a 39/28 - easiest - I'm around 170 lbs, so a little lighter - hoping I can spinn up the hills ok @ around 3 - 3.5 w/kg!

Anyone else riding a normal crankset up front? (53/39?)

I am not a mountain goat so I needed easy gearing.
I got passed a lot uphill but did OK on the flats and downhill.
But we all are different and we all like different equipment.
The hills are not really steep, mostly long.
Imingfjell is hard since it is at the end of the race, not because it is steep. Also after you think you have reached the top of the hill, you have a false flat that can be exposed to head wind.

Hopefully it will be sunny and tail wind this year :-)

I am looking forward to be support and not racing (I am in horrible shape).
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Jmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope everybody is getting ready for Norway and Norseman.

As a member of a support crew this year I will be able to remember Zombie Hill.

The week before the race I will spend time at the last 90k of the bike leg and at the run course.

If any of you do not have a chance to drive the course before the race, please do not hesitate to contact me.
You can either use the forum, or PM.

I will be at the social swim Friday and can talk to you and your support crew.

Things I will take a note of are:
road conditions
road work
potholes down from Imingfjell
parking on the runs course
stores along the bike and running leg.

Good luck everybody and see you in Eidfjord and on Gaustatoppen
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Halvard! Great to meet you last week.

Hey Thread - I'm lucky to have Halvard here in my hometown of Seattle. He was kind enough to sit down with me and my Crew Chief last week to review our plan for Norseman. As a Norwegian, Black T-Shirt owner and overall good guy, he is a great resource for us.

I look forward to seeing you all in Eidfjord!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Racing with a 1x, mostly because I have a 130BCD and can't really afford to switch to a 110BCD.

Doing 48 front and 11-40 rear. This should be right on par with 34/28. I'll be spinning a bit on the downhills but that's the price to pay!

Any advice on reflective jacket? My thermal kit has reflective stripes (actually the whole back is reflective) but since it's black I feel like the 'marshalls' in T1 won't let that fly...

Looking forward to meeting y'all in Eidfjord and I'll definitely hit you up Halvard when I'm driving up!

Anyone arriving in Oslo on Friday the 4th? My support crew is and I'd like to avoid renting two cars...

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Rappstar:

I rode Norseman last year with Enve 4.5's (chosen over my 808's for weight) and Turbo Cotton's with latex tubes and NoStan's in it. I did not flat ;) You could consider running the 26mm TC in the back for comfort and further reduce the flat-risk. There are a few sections where the tarmac isn't butter-smooth and it will pay dividends there.

If you've got the option for the disc-454's (I did not yet have the chance to ride them), I'd chose those. The aero of the 808 and the weight of the 404's with perfect all-weather braking (copy from marketing this). If can't think of a better race to use them then Norseman.

Bike-wise; I used my S-Works Venge over my P5, but if I'll ever go back (it will remain on my bucket-list even if I've already raced it, it is that much fun..) I'd use my tri-bike. The gearing I used was O-Symmetric 52-38 and 11-32 on SRAM eTap.

Have a LOT of fun, and yes, there is and end to Zombie Hill. It's just a long uphill run ;)

S.
Last edited by: shamerli: Jul 19, 17 2:39
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to decide on front wheel: Carbon with less braking power or aluminum with confident braking. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Jmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jmercer wrote:
I'm still trying to decide on front wheel: Carbon with less braking power or aluminum with confident braking. Thoughts?

If you can, bring both and when you have seen the course you pick the pair you are most comfortable with.
I will also recommend to download the Norwegian weather app yr.no and put it on your phone.
Then you can see the changes over the course.

Less than two weeks left :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [datscha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been quickly going through this thread so this is just some general observations, not to anyone in particular:
  1. Have enough food/fuel on your bike to last 1.5-2 hours for the first part of the bike. Cars can get really backed up and I didn't see my support crew until 1:45 after I started biking. I was going to go with 2 bottles but at the start added a 3rd bottle "just in case". I had just drained all 3 when my support car finally caught up. Traffic in the tunnels at the start can really jam up. After that point the crew found me every 30 - 40 minutes and it was perfect. For the run it was every 2 miles.
  2. Weather can change rapidly. I like biking in the cold. Yet it got down to 34 degrees F and raining. I had to stop 2x to change for more/better/warmer gear. Go out and get the gear as a precaution to put in the car.
  3. As weather can change rapidly, I found that a well-braking bike was more important than "absolutely-aero" bike/wheels. I lost more time on wet descents having to scrub speed well in advance of curves, which costs time on downhills. Go out and ride in the rain in some mountains somewhere. If you cannot brake on your expected rims RIGHT NOW, get a good pair in advance. The (whatever) 5-minutes aero advantage wheelset I did use probably costed me 10-15 minutes worth of dumb, slow descending.
  4. Gearing: I'm a good biker. I still had a 52/36 and an 11-32 cassette. Darn good investment. On good rims (disc brakes or aluminum rim brakes). It's 12K of climbing so don't burn matches early.
  5. Don't get too hung up on the gear for the last 10 miles of the run. Most of you will be walking anyway, get a nice backpack with the stuff in it and a hydration pack or bottle holder. That's good enough for the warm clothes you'll really want. If you are not in the top 10, and are trying to get in the top 160, you're probably walking after the mile 21 checkpoint anyway. Might as well be warm and comfy.

Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishgo wrote:
  1. Weather can change rapidly. I like biking in the cold. Yet it got down to 34 degrees F and raining. I had to stop 2x to change for more/better/warmer gear. Go out and get the gear as a precaution to put in the car.

x100

Bring appropriate gear for cold rain, and don't be afraid to use it early. I dropped out last year that, in retrospect, was caused by stupid stubbornness. I was wearing a base layer, jersey, and "waterproof" Castelli Gabba jersey on the initial climb with shorts, leg warmers, shoe covers, lobster gloves, and hand heat packs. I also had a warm aero helmet. In the car, I had my ski jacket shell "just in case" and neoprene scuba gloves. As the rain started, I said "I'm still OK--no need to put on the un-aero waterproof jacket." But I also stopped eating because my hands were cold and it was too hard to take gloves on and off. By the time I realized that I needed to reset, stop, eat, and put on the warmest, most waterproof clothes I had, it was too late. I was so cold and soaked that I couldn't warm up and my day was done.

I'm not sure if it was cockiness wanting the black t-shirt instead of white or just an unwillingness to suffer, but I dropped out at mile 45 of the bike. Don't be me. Stay warm and dry and keep ahead of your nutrition. You may think you really want black and won't be satisfied with white, but I'd love to have a white finisher t-shirt right now.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [kcb203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks KCB203 for the frankness and great advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan!

How is the recon going? What can you share with us about your initial impressions?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We had a little dip this afternoon, much to the bemusement of the Japanese tourists here. Simply stunning surroundings. Water temp not that bad, I'd guess around 13/14°c with some colder pockets.
In support mode for our mate, but definitely using it as recon 😉
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [philc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my race report from my way to 4'th place on Saturday (with a lot of pictures).
It's in norwegian but I hope google translate can de a decent translation for you :-)

https://www.oslosportslager.no/...en-tung-dag-397.aspx

Instagram and Strava: @lpstormo
Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [Stormo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race and strong finish.

Question for anyone in the know - How many people are allowed to accompany you up the mountain? If they can't go up with you is there a way for them to meet at the top to celebrate?

I would probably have 3 people travel with me.

Thanks.

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Rapp you doing norseman 2017? [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have 1 designated support crew member, but any number can run from 25k - think the winner this year had 5 or so runners with him for the last 10k, although they can't pace you. You also need to carry your own bag (containing phone, warm clothes, hat etc) from 37k.

They then have 2 options - walk down, or pay 250kr for the cable car. Athletes go down free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the race report. Great pics! Congratulations on an incredible performance. I came home with a white shirt and a resolve that the black shirt represents the best of our sport.

I'm reflecting on my own race and processing the details that make Norseman so unique. Resliance to cold being at the top of the list. Based on your pictures, you raced in far less clothing than me. And I was cold!

I was in trouble early, when both legs totally seized up with cramps late in the swim. Frustrating as I was otherwise having a great swim comfortably in the FOP draft. Probably lost 10 minutes between three cramping sessions and dropping the pace. That set up a miserably slow T1 and the legs just never felt good again. Looking back, I feel like I lost the black course right there. I was cold and wrecked coming out of the water.

Can you comment on your kit selection? Were you cold? Do you train regularly in those conditions? Do you have any advice on acclimating to perform while cold?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the cold conditions is definitely on of the main factors why Norseman is so hard. I also got some cramps in my hamstrings when we got in to the cold water the last 1000m of the swim, but it did not slow me down. I also get som cramps in T1 every year.

I never wear anything around my knees when I'm racing. I feel like it slows me down and being cold on the skin does not botter me.
The neopren caps on the shoes helps a lot and I don't need more then that to keep the feet warm. And taking on bigger/warmer shoe covers in T1 takes to much time.
I have my tri-suit under the wet suit on the swim and just take on a reflective wind west. In Norseman we go directly into a big climb and it's pretty easy to get warm up there. I have long gloves in the pocket on the west that I put on during the start of the bike. I don't think it's a problem starting yhe bike leg with a wet tri-suit as it will get wet pretty fast anyway.
Because of the rain on Hardangervidda I put on a thin rain jacket here (if no rain I keep raising in a tri-suit or maby a wind west). As long as I keep working hard on the bike I don't get very cold as long as I have something wind proof on. Of course I was a bit cold sometimes over Hardangervidda, but as soon as we get to Geilo and start climbing I get warm again.

I never train in cold coonditions like this. That's no fun! :-) I think it's more about preparing mantaly that it will get cold and you will feel like crap sometimes, but it will pass and feel better ones getting in to the climbs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your insights, particularly the point about the cold water in the last 1000m. That temperature change hit me like a brick and triggered my cramps. I feel better knowing you were also affected!

I just need the good fortune of another opportunity to adapt and overcome the cold!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the good fortune of living in Toronto and having Lake Ontario at my front door. In addition, I had a coach who wanted me immersed in cold water as a key part of the training sessions. Consequently, I was very prepared for the swim, having done about 10 open water swims in waters as cold as 8 degrees, averaged about 13 degrees, all giving my the psychological advantage that the fjord was not something to fear. The last km in the swim was certainly colder, which makes transition important for me as I do feel the cold. We had planned for transition to occur in 2 stages to get me as warm as possible quickly. Stage 1, take off the top of the wetsuit, put on a cycling jersey over my trisuit, add a windvest, rain jacket if it was raining (it was), reflective vest and then bubble down jacket (I would take this off prior to exit). I would then drink 300ml of warm nutrition (we had in the thermos), while my wife removed the bottom of the wetsuit, added knee warmers, (I wore compression sleeves on my legs giving me full leg coverage), put on socks, shoes (they had toe warmers already on) then added waterproof cycling booties. Finally, on my hands had neoprene gloves - keeping the hands warm.
Clearly this was not a record setting transition time (14 mins) but I was on the bike feeling comfortable and never in trouble. I did make a couple of further changes on the bike as the conditions changed.
All this means that I wasn't going to have a record setting bike effort, but my focus was getting to 32.5 eligible for the black tshirt. Mission accomplished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there on Saturday. Fantastic race. Even though the swim is not my favourite part I think swimming in Eidfjord was almost the best thing of the day. I almost felt too warm under my neoprene cap. In T1 I put on too much stuff, so I was sweating like crazy the first 35k. Riding Hardangervidda was just epic. Unfortunately I couldn't enjoy the rest of the bike part, because my back tightend up again, so every pedalstroke uphill was really painful. The run course was great too. I think if you know that you will get a black shirt, the race is "easy". I'm happy that I did not race against the clock and soaked everything in. From Zombie Hill I went with my girlfriend, who was also my support, up to the top. Hopefully I can return soon to see how was fast I can go up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for such a trivial question, but who makes the reflective vest you wore?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Swix reflective west (originally made for roller skiing). It's tight, has a windproof front and a small pocket on the back).

This one:
https://www.oslosportslager.no/...ningsvest-34111.aspx

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was cold for sure and cramped on occasion. I needed help to get out of the water. I could always work through it though fortunately. On the bike I was in tears at one point I was so cold and wet. I was able to put on a waterproof windproof run jacket though and was able to go comfortably again.
The run was fine.

I nearly lost it on the mountain. I was bonking and did not have any food that I could get down. I slogged my way up though....I got passed by about 50 people after the start of zombie hill. Fortunately I had done well to that point and was not in jeprody of loosing the black shirt.

What a great experience. I find it hard to get motivated again for 'normal'.

The top of the mountain was an interesting experience. No Norwegian guy yelling ' you are an ironman'...no fanfare at all. Just done. Take your chip and give you some soup ( which made me puke). I liked it like that.
Last edited by: rhayden: Aug 11, 17 19:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next