Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread
Quote | Reply
Turns out I'll be supporting a couple clients at IMLP and will be up for the weekend, so I'm offering up my Sherpa services to the forum.

The last one we tried at IM TX wasn't *quite* an unmitigated disaster, but there is definitely room for improvement, so here we go again! Link here: I had a lot of fun during the last Sherpa experience at TX, so thought I'd throw it out there again. I think I even may have actually helped one or two of you ;) Even though I was useless with splits, it was cool to meet Slowtwitchers and provide an outlet for pre-race stress, a wrench at bike turn-in, or a beer and a burger.

So, any Slowtwitchers doing LP and going solo? Strength in numbers. This time I'm going to focus more on my strengths: fixing last minute disasters. I've had my share over the years, so I'll be bringing a work stand and tools and will park myself at transition during bike turn-in. I also specialize in making sure KQ hopefuls don't have brakes rubbing, etc.

We can also organize a meetup, somewhere cool and Lake Placidy, as I've never been there and am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss has been about.

For the race, I'll come with a spreadsheet this time, but will be there for cheers and support, not exact splits.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enjoy the trip!

Check out Liquids and Solids for a cocktail, or the Blue Line Brewery in Saranac Lake for a local beer. Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only place you need to know is the brewery in LP, have yourself an UBU or three
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, I would consider driving over to LP (it is less than 2:45 drive from home) if you want to ride Whiteface mountain the day before. Do you have access to a bike? Plus all the other stuff you mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, definitely bringing my bike! Would love to ride whiteface

devashish_paul wrote:
Eric, I would consider driving over to LP (it is less than 2:45 drive from home) if you want to ride Whiteface mountain the day before. Do you have access to a bike? Plus all the other stuff you mentioned.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What days are you in LP before the race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know how long you're staying, but there's a Monday night mini tri series that runs throughout the summer that's a lot of fun.

I'm probably arriving the day before the race (maybe Friday) and staying the entire week after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to do that but need to get back 😬

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, Friday thru Monday

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again! Definitely helpful last time. I'm still scraping together borrowing race wheels so I predict that I may need some last minute help getting my brakes not to rub...

And going to second the Ubu.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [elrasc06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Same race Kit? Post a pic and your number here?

elrasc06 wrote:
I'm in again! Definitely helpful last time. I'm still scraping together borrowing race wheels so I predict that I may need some last minute help getting my brakes not to rub...

And going to second the Ubu.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, let me see if I can make it over. One of my challenges is getting around walking due to nerve problems. Basically I need a car to get everywhere (or a bike). It is impossible to get anywhere in LP with a car on race week once you get there. Maybe I should bring my road bike to ride with you and my folding bike so I can get around town with flat pedals and running shoes. I'll keep you posted. It sounds like any Whiteface climb would need to be Sat AM early. Sucks to be immobile in terms of walking, but those are my cards today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, know your pain. L5-S1 giving me a hell of a time with nerve issues right now. Planning on riding a little bit (which surprisingly does not hurt). Also in town Friday - Monday. Would be down for a Saturday AM bright and early tour of Whiteface.

You swimming at all?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the offer!
I'll have most things under control (I hope!) but it never hurts to have a second set of eyes look over the bike for something I may have missed.

I second Slick_D's suggestion on Liquids and Solids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be up for meeting up. And making sure I didn't put anything back on my bike backwards!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [TamiR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, looks like tomorrow is the meetup time... I think rather than set one meeting time I'll just go to one place, and you all can roll by as fits your schedule, for the bike stuff, but then perhaps Friday afternoon or evening for beverages and ST meet and greet stuff.

PM me with some other sort of contact info so that we can get in touch!
TamiR wrote:
I would be up for meeting up. And making sure I didn't put anything back on my bike backwards!

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [cdkayak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be up tomorrow! We can all talk throughout the day and/or do some bike tuning but Liquids and Solids sounds fun for Friday night or Saturday lunch.

Can you PM me some contact info?

Eric

cdkayak wrote:
Thanks for the offer!
I'll have most things under control (I hope!) but it never hurts to have a second set of eyes look over the bike for something I may have missed.

I second Slick_D's suggestion on Liquids and Solids.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be up for that tour as well... EARLY early. PM me some contact info.

Eric

rrheisler wrote:
Dev, know your pain. L5-S1 giving me a hell of a time with nerve issues right now. Planning on riding a little bit (which surprisingly does not hurt). Also in town Friday - Monday. Would be down for a Saturday AM bright and early tour of Whiteface.

You swimming at all?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update;: the traffic on 95 is bad. In hindsight leaving so I hit DC at rush hour was a bad choice.

Looks like I'll be in town tomorrow morning, with a swim at lunch. I'll be in need of coffee :)

Will try to ride whiteface early Saturday AM

I'll post tomorrow as soon as I get to town

Last edited by: ericM40-44: Jul 21, 16 15:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Operation lake placid Sherpa is going swimmingly, with everyone's spread spread to the four winds. I have all my tools of anyone has a mishap and I'm located at Whiteface Lodge

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Update;: the traffic on 95 is bad. In hindsight leaving so I hit DC at rush hour was a bad choice.

Looks like I'll be in town tomorrow morning, with a swim at lunch. I'll be in need of coffee :)

Will try to ride whiteface early Saturday AM

I'll post tomorrow as soon as I get to town
Eric have a good ride up Whiteface. I believe you have to get through the tollgate before 8 am or you have to pay. It's 45 min from LP to the base of the climb and 18-23 min (depending on how hard you want to go) to get to the tollgate. It's not like paying is a big deal, but stopping to pay in the middle of a Whiteface climb totally defeats the entire point of getting your time to the Castle entrance (from stop sign at the base)....so you have to get through before 8 am or go up after 5 pm.

Sorry I could not make it over to LP. I am going to try to head over some time for a day in the next month for the climb. Would have been good to take in the race vibe, but could not find anyone to travel with and did not feel like doing a solo trip there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sure wish I had planned to go and participate in this thread. :( I know so many people racing this year.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ironman Lake Placid Slowtwitch Race-Day Sherpa Support Thread [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to all racing in LP this weekend. I sherpa'd for my wife a few times in years that she raced there and used to love going out for a long ride on the day before the race when she'd be taking it easy and staying off her feet. Would practically have the entire course to myself!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, thanks for that tip, otherwise I would have slept in. Looking forward to that climb!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok so we've had screwy Di2 batteries, rubbing hubs, wonky power meter off-sets, missing goggles, dirty chains and as usual I haven't been helpful for any of those. I am crushing this race!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, it's going to be awesome :)

Enjoy the day...

Quote Reply

Prev Next