Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread
Quote | Reply
I'll get this started. Once we get it finalized, I'll move it to the classifieds, or otherwise permalink it, so we can keep it up to date.

Please reply with updates, additions, and corrections. I'll update this list with your replies.

THE BEST
Southwest: $50/bike & two checked bags free
WestJet: $40/bike & two checked bags free
AirCanada: $50/bike & two checked bags free

VERY GOOD
Alaska: $50/bike & $15 first checked bag fee. The $50 bike fee *includes* the $25 second bag fee
JetBlue: $50/bike & $20 second bag fee
Frontier: $50/bike & $15 first bag & $25 second bag fee (optional $25 ticket upgrade gives you two checked bags free & directtv access - which is normally $6)
Virgin: $50/bike (VirginAmerica) or FREE (VirginAtlantic)
British Airways: Free internationally
Mexicana: Free with Mexican Athletic Federation membership ($40)

GOOD
USAirways: FREE on roundtrip tickets for WTC races (with coupon IRONMAN01), otherwise $100
AirTran: $79/bike

OKAY
Hawaiian: $100 for the bike + $15 first bag fee (bike fee includes second bag fee)

NOT GOOD
United - $150/bike + $25 second bag fee. Real sticklers about overweight, which is an extra $125
Continental - $100/bike + additional fees?
American

THE WORST (try not to fly if at all possible)
Delta - $175/bike + additional fees (charges up to $300 are not uncommon)
Northwest - $175/bike + additional fees (charges up to $300 are not uncommon)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Jul 3, 09 8:38
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rappstar! I actually had very good results with US Air even comping my bike to non-Ironman races as well. And they were a surprise, as they were more accommodating than most airlines I've flown the last few years. I'd put them above "Okay".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frontier... 50 for a bike 15 for first bag 25 for second bag.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I flew Delta to St. Anthony's from Boston and having read some other horror stories, I got a first class ticket (for less than $100 more than the coach fare) and there was NO CHARGE.
They did ask if my ironcase was oversized and I said NO.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
delta charged me $175 each way to fly my bike last month when i went to columbia, MD. it may take 5 working days but i was told fedex ground would be much less.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have taken three trips on United in the last couple of months. In each case I used my BikePro double sized bike bag.

1. SFO to San Antonio, TX - one bike in the double bag. $125 outbound, $175 coming back

2. SFO - Boise, ID - two bikes in the double bag. $125 outbound, and $300 back! (Bike fee plus overweight fee on the return.)

3. SFO - Louisville, KY - one bike out, two bikes back. $175 out, and FREE back. Second straight year that Louisville United did not ding me for my bike.

The $125 price is the price you get on the automated kiosk. They don't have it set up for bikes, but that is the oversized bag or something like that. I tried that in Boise on the way back, but the counter guy said that wasn't correct (he's right) and went totally by the book. It probably didn't help that we came home TWO days after the 70.3 and were after the rush of bikes. i.e. United had it down by then.

Conversely, in Louisville in each case I split from Master's nationals after the TT and Road Race, but before the crit so I may have missed the rush and maybe they will catch on in the next few days.

So, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst!

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the podium @ Nats!!

Have you tried checking in curbside @ SFO? I wonder if I can fit the track bike into a large regular suitcase?

What about internationally? Anyone flow US to OZ lately with a bike?

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link to coupon?

Run like you stole something
Formerly Fueled by ZYM
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats on the podium @ Nats!!

Have you tried checking in curbside @ SFO? I wonder if I can fit the track bike into a large regular suitcase?

What about internationally? Anyone flow US to OZ lately with a bike?

clm

Thanks. Wrong step though...

I haven't tried curbside in a number of years. Last year to Louisville was a boon for me though as United SFO also let my bike on for free along with United SDF doing the same on the return. It seems totally random.

My wife and I went to Europe in 2007 for the Wiesbaden 70.3 and masters worlds with four bikes in two double bike boxes. And a wheel case. We spent close to $1k in excess baggage since we flew to Frankfurt for the triathlon and then to Innsbruck in separate legs and did the same on the return. The worst was the trips in Europe. You just pay per kilo and we had a lot of crap.

Wonderful trip though.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USAirways is $100 each way.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 2, 09 14:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northwest is $175 each way.

Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did airtran LAX-baltimore and back for eagleman last month. my bike (soft, smallish bag) was my only checked bag, weighed under 40 pounds. both coming and going i paid $79 for oversize. no chatter about it being a bike (same fee, anyway).
peggy
p.s. i'm thrilled to see this thread. thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental is $100 each way.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [PeterP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frontier: Upgraded ticket costs $25 each way, gives you two free checked bags, directv, and choice of seat at booking time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
British Airways is free internationally.

Here's a good sight with some fees.
http://www.ibike.org/...t/travel/bagregs.htm

The most recent increase in bike fees is seriously silly. We {athletes, members of USAT, USAC, etc} should start making noise about this, and voting with our $. Our governing bodies should make some noise; if we can't get to races, they lose too. Eventually, the airlines will listen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
British Airways were going to start charging to travel with bikes in November of last year but it didn't come in. Transatlantic you can have two bags of up 32kgs free and the bike goes free on all BA flights too!
Sporting equipment we carry

Only one travel case of equipment is permitted at no extra cost except where we state otherwise in the relevant section below.

Select one of the categories to view the allowance for each sport. [/url] Angling Rod case Travel bag Accepted travel cases:
Recognised angling rod case or bag. Equipment accepted:
Rods and reels contained in a case and one bag with fishing tackle, landing net and fishing boots. Close [/url] Archery Bow case Archery wheelie case Accepted travel cases:
Standard bow and arrow case. Equipment accepted:
One bow, one quiver and arrows. Close [/url] Cricket Team coffin Soft team coffin Accepted travel cases:
Recognised cricket coffins or team bags. Equipment accepted:
Bats, wickets, pads and balls. Close [/url] Cycling Compact bag for dismantled bicycle Folding bicycle bag Hard-shell bicycle case Accepted travel cases:
Recognised bicycle bag.
We will accept all single bicycle bags as illustrated, but these may be subject to additional fees. Equipment accepted:
One non-motorised bicycle.
Preparing bicycles for travel:
  • Bicycle pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards).
  • Handlebars must be fixed sideways.
  • The bicycle must be contained in a protective case or bag.
  • You may wish to deflate the tyres to reduce risk of damage.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mexicana-FREE!

Just register with the Mexican Athletic Federation before you get on the plane and print out your 1 year membership ($40) and your bike goes for free both ways

"Fear is what drives you in the last part of a marathon in an Ironman. The body is depleted and the mind is fuzzy. Short course racing is driven by power and finese at the end of a race, Ironman demands so much more and is driven by will and mental strength." Chris McCormack

10/28/08 Dev Paul had 400w FTP!!!
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [Flaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a very bad result from AA. I am an Executive Platinum with 2 million miles. They charged me $100 each way. I would not have cared if the exec platinum desk had not told me on the phone as long as the case was less than 50 pounds I would not be charged.

I could have traveled SWA, better flight times and little cheaper ticket and only been charged, I think, $50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More confusion. Seems likes most airlines have no idea what there own policies are and they vary between airports.

This spring

Vancouver to Amsterdam (Air Transat): $30
Amsterdam to Lanzarote (KLM): 100 Euros
Lanzarote to Amsterdam (KLM): 50 Euros
Amsterdam to Vancouver (Air Transat): 20 Euros

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I flew Delta to St. Anthony's from Boston and having read some other horror stories, I got a first class ticket (for less than $100 more than the coach fare) and there was NO CHARGE.
They did ask if my ironcase was oversized and I said NO.

I've often found that the cost to upgrade to first class was less then the cost of paying for my bike, and the bike then flies for free. But on a Delta flight last month, I flew first class and they still charged me $100 each way.

scott

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The US Airways coupon is good for the bike as your 2nd bag. If you check 2 bags and a bike, they might charge you for the bike.

And if you book through an IM page, you still get the coupon for travel, even if you are going to a location no where near an IM race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JetBlue special for July. No bike fees for travel during July to celebrate TdF...if only it were permanent!

http://tinyurl.com/kjjkyv
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [w8atick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virgin Atlantic were great, for all trans-atlantic flights: I believe this is in addition to your regular baggage allowance (also 32kg) as well.

Non-motorised bicycles including tandems, in protective box or bag can be carried in addition to your free baggage allowance and at no extra charge.

Please note your bicycle must not exceed 32Kg in weight.

Please ensure:

• Tyres are partially deflated to reduce the risk of damage.
  • Handlebars must be turned in line with the cross bar
  • Any attachments must be removed, including pedals.
  • Gearing systems should be well protected.
VAA do not provide bicycle boxes. If required these may be obtained from bicycle shops.

Please note cosmetic damage (paint chips) will not be considered for compensation and it is recommended that you protect the frame with bubble wrap or similar material. VAA strongly recommends separate insurance is taken out.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [dstieh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BA top the VAA sllowance as trans atlantic flights are 2 bags, each having a maximum of 32kg! The free bike is in addition to not instead of!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Airline Bike Fee Thread [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BA top the VAA sllowance as trans atlantic flights are 2 bags, each having a maximum of 32kg! The free bike is in addition to not instead of!

I don't know if I own that many things, but wow that is a lot of luggage.
Quote Reply

Prev Next