Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look like Turd is active anymore so I'll start the thread...

Who's in?

Half or Full?

Been here before?

Where you coming from?

Questions about logistics or anything anybody here can help with?

Anything else you care to share?

Myself:
I'm in for the half for the 5th year in a row. Coming from Raleigh, obviously I like the race and it is close by so that's a bonus.Haven't looked at the weather forecast yet, but have my fingers crossed. Also assuming the water should be relatively warm since the race is about two weeks earlier than normal, though not sure how safe that assumption is.

See everyone in less than a week!
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the 2014 Thread, BillyK24 was asking:

Maybe someone from the race location can provide an update on the rain/flood/course conditions?
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the half. Previous B2B races: half in 12, 14. Full in 13. Coming from Asheville area. One of my favorite races. Going to stay at Wrightsville Beach this year instead of downtown Wilmington. Initial weather forecast looks perfect...if it holds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:

Maybe someone from the race location can provide an update on the rain/flood/course conditions?

There was more rain this weekend with the possibility of light rain Monday. The T1 area is a large open field. Is it flooded-mud bath or just saturated with water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checking in for the full, back from 2011. We are looking at spectacular race conditions so far!

Last time I stayed in a hotel in the no man;s land between T1 and T2, this time I'll stay downtown, I am hoping to be still up at midnight to see the last folks coming in (assuming I am not one of them). Anybody did that before at B2B?
Last edited by: Baboonator: Oct 11, 15 13:04
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice I think. Fun time though probably a little different than an Ironman, just due to the smaller field. Still was awesome to watch those people finish. It will be a little different this year with the new finish line but still a great experience I imagine. Downtown Wilmington will offer good options to eat and drink to kill some time before midnight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IN for the full. First time, training has been less than ideal. Coming from Ontario Canada. Bringing the heat cause all my races this year have been ovens.
Missed the dinner ticket cut off... maybe at the expo?

Traffic to get to T1 in the morning?
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [Annelizabethrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing the Half. Coming from Greenville, SC. Someone posted in the Facebook group today that they rode the course (not sure if half or full) and the roads are great - no storm damage. Totally down for meeting fellow Slow Twitchers for a beer after the race!
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [Annelizabethrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2011, I can't remember any problem going to T1 by car, and the full distance was sold out. Not this time, so it might be even easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the full. I signed up at the end of Sept, adding this as a 'for the fun of it race', so this will be my first full where I didn't spend months visualizing this race with goals of a certain outcome. It'll be my first time here but others in my group of 5 (from Philly) have done this course and the half course before.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Oct 12, 15 6:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Back again for my 4th B2B ½ and 7th time participating in the race. Several friends will be racing as ½ and full well. We are traveling in from Charlotte. The weather forecast is looking great, but maybe a little breezy. Tied forecast is good and should make for a fast swim. Mary Lee is off the Virginia coast and appears to have declined joining us again. This should be a great B2B.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, this will be my first year and first full distanced.

Can someone explain the shuttle situation to T1? The race director mentioned something about buying a ticket to be transported to T1. I cannot find anything on the website.

Thanks!

Harry Mendez Jr.

Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [durh221982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shuttle tickets are sold out. That's all I know about that.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [durh221982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have a shuttle that runs from Wilmington to T1 that requires a ticket, apparently that's now sold out. Once you're to T1, they have buses to to the swim start, no ticket required. My wife has always dropped me at T1 so I'm not experienced with the other shuttle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

Harry Mendez Jr.

Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
biglazybum wrote:

There was more rain this weekend with the possibility of light rain Monday. The T1 area is a large open field. Is it flooded-mud bath or just saturated with water?

Not been on in a while and just happened to see this.

It has rained today (Monday) and looks like there might still be some more rain around.
I have class down there tomorrow and if I get a chance I will try and take a gander at what will be T2 to see what it looks like.
I have not seen the bike course, but no issues with run course from rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the full.

It's my first time at B2B and first full distance.

I will be driving down Thursday from outside of Philly and staying downtown Wilmington.

Heard allot of good things about the race and venue, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IN! had to defer last year for medical reasons, so happy to be able to return this year

Full, did the full in 2013

coming from Cape Cod w/ a teammate also from MA

Can't friggin' wait
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T1 is fine despite the rain we got earlier.

Swim tonight was awesome. Wore a full sleeved suit and was comfortable the whole time.

Here's the view from the Blockade Runner to where the turn buoy will be.

Looking to Swim Exit at Seapath

Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [ErikWREI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to jinx us but...this is looking pretty nice:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the full! I also missed out on the shuttle tickets from the Hilton to T1 but they helpfully provide the names of local cab companies. :)

First B2B and pretty excited as I have heard great things about the race!

It looks like as long as I get myself to T1 I can then take the shuttle to the swim start and then the finish is right by the Hilton so no need to have transport from the finish line?
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [JAH294] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for my first 70.3. I'll be coming down from Raleigh. Looks likes it's going to be a nice day. I'm hoping the morning doesn't get much colder, but we'll survive.

I'm still up in the air for run nutrition. I missed almost my entire run season this year due to injury, so I didn't have much.. err any chance to work on the long brick/run nutrition. I might end up just carrying my own electrolyte drink and gu.. even though I really want to try the coke and Red Bull!

What is everyone doing for dinner on Friday night?

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [JAH294] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JAH294 wrote:
I'm in for the full! I also missed out on the shuttle tickets from the Hilton to T1 but they helpfully provide the names of local cab companies. :)

First B2B and pretty excited as I have heard great things about the race!

It looks like as long as I get myself to T1 I can then take the shuttle to the swim start and then the finish is right by the Hilton so no need to have transport from the finish line?

Yes as long as you can walk a few blocks from the finish you'll be good. No need for a car or anything.

Not sure how outgoing you are but you might be able to catch a ride from the Hilton to T1 from a generous athlete. A few years ago we overheard somebody asking for a bus ticket (they were sold out) and offered to give him a ride. I'd offer to take you but we're not staying at the Hilton this year and we're doing the half so I won't be heading down as early as you should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather looks good. Any word on when the tide will be coming in? There was a massive push last year.
Quote Reply
Re: The "Official" 2015 Beach2Battleship Role Call/Q&A/Race chatter/Anything else thread [RaleighTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Low tide at 4:19am and high tide at 10:52. We should be getting a pretty big boost as the swim will be happening right in the middle of it.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/...mp;Stationid=8658163
Quote Reply

Prev Next