Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Ahhhhhh, that makes more sense, sorry I'm not thinking very clear after my 4 mile walk home from cause of this stupid sticker
Why's the sticker stupid? It saved your frame from chain damage as it's intended to do. If you don't want it you could always just leave it off, but I'd rather have either some sacrificial protection like this or a chain catcher.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have a Felt Stem Cap Screw laying around or does anybody know where I can order one? My has stripped and I don't want to remove it again until I have one to replace it.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presume you could replace it with any long enough countersunk bolt of the correct thread. I suspect it's M5 but not sure. The only difference will be appearance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So news on new Calpacs and storage options.

Daniella Ryf has them on her bike, as she's showing on IG here https://www.instagram.com/...danielaryf&hl=en

Details beyond that seem non existent.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [GilesE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mirinda Carfrae had custom Calpac parts on her bike years ago. Unless Felt have said, officially, that these are upcoming consumer products, this is not news. If Felt release something, great. But I wish everyone would stop perpetuating these rumours of imminent Calpac fixes and draft boxes without some solid basis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, except that is an IA FRD with bottle bosses on the back, meaning that they did a mold change on that model bike.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Mirinda Carfrae had custom Calpac parts on her bike years ago. Unless Felt have said, officially, that these are upcoming consumer products, this is not news. If Felt release something, great. But I wish everyone would stop perpetuating these rumours of imminent Calpac fixes and draft boxes without some solid basis.

furthermore, that box is f-ugly
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
Yes, except that is an IA FRD with bottle bosses on the back, meaning that they did a mold change on that model bike.

Sharp eye.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that more than perpetuating rumors, that people are hopeful, and in this case, this is not a rumor. It is an item on Ryf's bike, and a new version of the IA FRD. Now does that make it into the supply chain that we can access? Who knows. Is it an aftermarket part from xLab or Torhans, or someone else? who knows. Even if the Calpac cover is real, this one photo doesn't provide any details on the cover, nor is the inside of the unit modified similar to Carfrae's.
We can discuss the potential, and the possibilities without taking a position of stating that "Felt has released" something. Felt has missed the boat on both of these, and as an IA owner, I look forward to then , or someone else releasing new and improved versions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:
Perhaps, perhaps not.
I hadn't spotted that. To be honest, I was just looking at the Calpac. However, that just confuses things further. It would be pretty simple to add bosses to a standard bike and do a cosmetic job to make it look like it's straight from the mold. I don't know if this is a new model form a new mould or a modification to an existing frame. Do you? That uncertainty also calls into question whether the Calpac is even relevant to existing owners. Perhaps it's specific to the new model, if that's what this is.....
Therefore, as far as I'm concerned this is not really news. It's speculation. That's fine, but lets call it what it is.
Until Felt actually announce something..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with our felt guy. The new calpac will work with all their bikes, meaning you can replace your current one. The draft box will fit the ia 10 and up. This should come around August. Dont expect an update to the iax frame

- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious about the draft box, why would it only fit the 10 and up if the frame and boses on the 14 and 16 are the same?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 and up, 10, 14, 16. Sorry for the confusion!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When he said it will fit the IA 10 and up that means the IA 10, IA14, and IA16.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hennessyr wrote:

Yes, the IA series is getting a refresh which includes, among other changes, bottle bosses to hold the rear storage box. It's why the new Calpac and storage box releases have been delayed. They didn't want to release them before the new version is announced. I know there are a few other changes, but I don't know details, only educated guesses.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A while back I purchased a IA 10 frame set from JT Lyons at Moment Cycles in San Diego. I've gone through a few iterations of the front end but just yesterday I built up the new Profile Design Aeria Ultimate stem & aerobar set up. This morning I rode 90min on it and have found my final place on this bike.

The big dilemma for me and for many is that my frame-set came with only 30mm of steertube exposed and most stems are 40mm in clamp height. The 93mm, OEM stem that Felt offers with this bike didn't work for me as well as I would have liked so I've been on the hunt an alternative and the Profile's Aeria stem is 32mm.

This stem is pretty beefy. The 100mm (shown here) is ~400gms and part of that is the result of the fact that you can hide your 5 port junction box inside the body of the stem. The pic below is with the handlebar clamp removed and looking straight down into the front of the stem.

The aerobar kit comes with all the options for armpad/aerobar pedestals and the screws for every variation

The aerobars can tilt independently from the basebar.

Here's the riders POV from the top

Here's the head-on

I've got to page through this thread and find out how to remove the QR branding from the box. BTW the bike is a 56cm and the Qbox is a 54cm - I learned what size box to buy (and many other things) from this thread - grateful to you all for your input.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: May 24, 17 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great. is that the PD ATTK unit on the top tube?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, Profile-Design ATTK in replace of the calpac. I ordered that 3D printed cover (again, from this thread) and then drill holes in that to mount the PD ATTK box. I made a couple of discoveries on that too:
1) the PD ATTK is far longer than the indented cavity section on the top tube. I chose to cut (dremel tool w/ cutting wheel) a millimeters off the tail end of the ATTK to get the main body of the box to sit flush with the 3D printed cover. I did it in a rush and it was one of those classic "measure twice, cut once" situations. Should have been a bit more accurate on that.
2) At the very least an IA owner will have one brake (rear) and one e-wire that will need to dive down into the frame behind the top tube. The PD ATTK box has a really nice, stout rubber base that I had to grind away a little bit to create a groove for those cables to slot into.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok great. how to you find it compared with the original calpac? much difference?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The original calpac was a problem for me... it has a gummy quality and if my knees ever brushed it, it would slightly catch. I found it didn't anchor well (not just on my bike but many that I've had hands-on) and the edges flipped up. You also couldn't put a lot in it - of course the PD ATTK isn't exactly palatial either, but it's better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian, did you ever eye up how the profile bento would fit on top of the calpac bottom. I thought about trying it with the bottom cut out to add more storage space. Right now I have my spare tube and co2 tool in th calpac and a Dark Speed Works aero bento strapped on top of it.

Put a couple of pieces of black tape on the Qbox lid. Mine popped off on my first ride. QR wouldn't sell me another lid so mine went into the garbage.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney, thanks for the note on taping the Qbox lid. will do.

The Profile ATTK box is narrower than the frame and original calpac - it would be a challenge to both affix that to the top tube and to carve out the bottom as the rubber base is SOLID!

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What length bolts did people use on the rear boses? I started using the supplied bolts in my bottle boses but started getting lots of resistance about 2/3 of the way in, feeling like it was bottoming out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not near my bike to measure the length, but definitely shorter than the water bottle bolts. The seatpost is a consideration for the length. I bought stainless cap head screws from Lowes, and cut them off to desired length. Figured it out by inserting until they loosely bottomed out, then subtracted the distance of threads still out as my amount to cut off. Worked easily :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
Hey Dave,

I'm curious to know whether in your experience if the IA (with it's massive down tube) is a much tougher bike to handle in a strong near perpendicular crosswind. My IA10 is my first tri bike so I have nothing to compare against, but in a strong crosswind I feel it can be downright scary. I ride it with a flo 60/90 and I realize that might be making it worse, but the other day we had sustained 20+ mph winds and there were times I was pretty scared to try to get in the bars when I was riding 90° to the wind. Even on the base bar I'd feel like the bike was being pulled out from under me. I weigh 160 pounds if that provides any context.

Thanks!

You might want to try a disc cover on the rear. It seems counter-intuitive but it will help stabilize the bike. When I first got my IA16, I loved taking it out on windy days with the Hed3 and disc. One time a guy pulled up at a red light on a Colnago road bike with Zipp303's complaining about the wind, I hadn't felt it at all.

Another thing, since you say that this is your first tri-bike, you just need to loosen up and let the wind push you. Get out more on windy days.

having a disc in the back does help a bit, but i don't ride it on training rides. the "oh sh*t" moments make it hard to focus when the bike already feels like it's leaning sideways. i have a size 58 so it's a pretty big sail

It would have to be some incredible wind for the bike to come out from under you. When I rode the IA I did so in all conditions with a variety of different wheels. 25-30mph wind gusts had the bike move around a bit but not in an unpredictable manner. Sway like a willow, not an oak.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply

Prev Next