Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate this post is quite old - planning on tidying up my front end this weekend and was wondering if you had to relocate the junction boxes?

Cheers

seeyouincourt wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have a set up similar to this, i bought an extra junction box and cable and stuffed it in the stem. unfortunately that only accomodates 3 out of the 4 cables in the cockpit so i still have the junction box cable and one of the base shifters running into the frame behind the calpac
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Would moving the junction box out of the nose cone and stuffing under the calpac work in your experience?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it works, but i prefer to remove two screws instead of 8 to access the junction box to charge it, so it lives in the nose cone. shoving all the wiring inside the stem wasn't the funnest thing in the world, but not the worst, and it limits the number of wires going through the steerer tube area. this is my current setup

EDIT: The RD might be connected to the FD. the more I think about it I only remember one wire coming up the frame, regardless, it doesn't make a difference
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Apr 19, 17 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can fit 2 JC41 junction boxes in the stem to accommodate all 4 cockpits wires from the extension shifters and brifters and have 2 wires running out of the stem to either the calpac or nosecone. I then have a 3 port EW90 junction in the calpac (drilled a hole through the calpac front for wire access) with the 2 wires from the stem and 1 from the derailleurs. Makes access for charging/trimming 1000 times easier.

I've been playing around with some new set ups for this year - trying out Fluc's Fuelselage mod and mounting the EW90 junction directly to the stem. I'd rather be able to see and access to junction than have to remove screws to get at it every time. My battery died while out on a ride last year because I had it in the calpac and it was out of sight out of mind in terms of charging it. This way I can see the amount of battery left every front derailleur shift. I could just get D-fly for that though.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it seemed so tight in the stem with one jc41 that it never occurred to me to have two jc41s in there. i'm going to have to give it a try. that would allow me to eliminate everything under the calpac by running directly to the nose cone from the stem. with the 5 port ew90 there's more than enough room for the dfly there. if you have a 3 port ew90, you could bridge the dfly (fd -> dfly -> ew90)
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Apr 19, 17 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah they dont quite sit directly on top of each other in the stem, but close, one sits a little more towards the back than the other, but they do fit. Getting everything connected is a little tough, but once you do there isnt a really a need to access to again unless you are changing extensions (have to remove the base bar from the stem). I ran a 300mm wire out of each JC41 and can plug those into whatever and locate wherever. I think I'll order the dlfy though as that will solve my current issue with the battery, good call.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you get the new dfly (the one with BTLE), don't forget you have to upgrade the battery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Not had time to get the hexs out yet, but this and the other tips below my post are a great help!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave,

I'm curious to know whether in your experience if the IA (with it's massive down tube) is a much tougher bike to handle in a strong near perpendicular crosswind. My IA10 is my first tri bike so I have nothing to compare against, but in a strong crosswind I feel it can be downright scary. I ride it with a flo 60/90 and I realize that might be making it worse, but the other day we had sustained 20+ mph winds and there were times I was pretty scared to try to get in the bars when I was riding 90° to the wind. Even on the base bar I'd feel like the bike was being pulled out from under me. I weigh 160 pounds if that provides any context.

Thanks!
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: May 1, 17 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 140lbs and the ia10 is definitely pushed around in the cross winds compared to my old bike, but once I got used to it it wasn't much of an issue. I found I would just lean into a steady cross wind, but gusts gave me a few oh shit moments now and then. I usually ride 808s in front and rear training, rear disc racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
Hey Dave,

I'm curious to know whether in your experience if the IA (with it's massive down tube) is a much tougher bike to handle in a strong near perpendicular crosswind. My IA10 is my first tri bike so I have nothing to compare against, but in a strong crosswind I feel it can be downright scary. I ride it with a flo 60/90 and I realize that might be making it worse, but the other day we had sustained 20+ mph winds and there were times I was pretty scared to try to get in the bars when I was riding 90° to the wind. Even on the base bar I'd feel like the bike was being pulled out from under me. I weigh 160 pounds if that provides any context.

Thanks!

You might want to try a disc cover on the rear. It seems counter-intuitive but it will help stabilize the bike. When I first got my IA16, I loved taking it out on windy days with the Hed3 and disc. One time a guy pulled up at a red light on a Colnago road bike with Zipp303's complaining about the wind, I hadn't felt it at all.

Another thing, since you say that this is your first tri-bike, you just need to loosen up and let the wind push you. Get out more on windy days.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice ride
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [leesteph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My IA16 ;)

Olympic Distance configuration

http://www.hostingpics.net/...id=974693IMG2359.jpg

IM configuration.

Components:

Magura RT8 TT
Zipp 404/808 (Cycling ceramic upgaded)
Zipp Sub 9 Zedtech
Rotor 3D24 (Cycling ceramic upgraded)
Sram Red TT (Cycling ceramic upgraded)
ISM Attack saddle

Next; Sram Etap TT
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Argonaute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice ride. Is that the bayonet 3 with new brake levers or did you switch out the cockpit?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep the Bayonet 3 ;)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
jazzymusicman wrote:
Hey Dave,

Thanks!

You might want to try a disc cover on the rear. It seems counter-intuitive but it will help stabilize the bike. When I first got my IA16, I loved taking it out on windy days with the Hed3 and disc. One time a guy pulled up at a red light on a Colnago road bike with Zipp303's complaining about the wind, I hadn't felt it at all.

Another thing, since you say that this is your first tri-bike, you just need to loosen up and let the wind push you. Get out more on windy days.

having a disc in the back does help a bit, but i don't ride it on training rides. the "oh sh*t" moments make it hard to focus when the bike already feels like it's leaning sideways. i have a size 58 so it's a pretty big sail
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many of you with PR Box are satisfied with it? I have an IA16 that I am looking to add storage to for my ironman race/longer rides and that seems to be the best option. Also if I pick up the PR Box, do I have to make any adjustments to it to make it fit my bike? Also any suggestions for behind the seat bottle cages/attachments? I tried to zip tie a few cages but couldn't get anything to stay sturdy and or reliable enough that it won't shift during a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [jdarrow86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not bad. I had to file down the very bottom a little because it occasionally rubbed my tire, and it's also a little noisy as thing rattle around inside (depends on what you put in I guess).
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [jdarrow86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you mean ''QR Box''? Mine lost it's lid on the first ride. QR wouldn't sell me another lid. It also didn't match the seat tube as well as it looks in pictures.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just dropped the chain on my IA 16, it caught on a mental plate on the lower chains Taylor just above the brake and bent the he'll out of the top edge of the bracket.

1. Is this a vital piece of the bike?
2. Anyone know how to remove it? I see no bolts or anything
3. Can I simply remove it and still race this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That shiny silver rectangle sticker just behind the bottom bracket? That is just a sticker to protect the frame from a chain drop. It sounds like it gave its life for the good of the whole. If you cannot bend it back flush with the frame, you can probably safely remove it for the race. You can get a replacement from Felt.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...te-Protector-IA.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sticker goes on top of a metal plate the exact same shape as the sticker.
The sticker did give its life, but the metal plate also took one for the team
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That link is to the metal sticker that sticks the the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhhhhh, that makes more sense, sorry I'm not thinking very clear after my 4 mile walk home from cause of this stupid sticker
Quote Reply

Prev Next