Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
So according to FLO's website and the wind tunnel results, if I average 20 mph, the disc will save me about 47 seconds over a FLO 90 in the course of a half-ironman.

It's more than that thanks to power to rotate. Flo data only gives translational drag.
Plus - getting faster is about making lots of little decisions that help towards the goal:
Don't eat that brownie
Don't kill the alarm and roll over
Use evidence based training methods
Work on your bike position
Make smart equipment choices (like IA vs some of the other options)

keqwow wrote:
Tell me then, why so many pros were racing without a disc at the 70.3 World Championship? Why doesn't EVERYONE race with a disc in the events that allow it?

Being good at training and making smart equipment choices are not necessarily things that go together.


Connect - Velogic Fit l Facebook l Twitter
Or - Speedtheory l Facebook l Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its doubly interesting as they were on same/similar frames





-

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:


It's more than that thanks to power to rotate.


What kind of wattage differences are we actually talking here?

EDIT:
And do you know if this still applies to wheels with covers?

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now - Ancient Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Liaman: Sep 10, 15 2:32
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also trying to choose the right size for an IAx (the IA 14). My first tri bike. Got fitted to a stack of 559 and a reach of 433. Focussed on long distance for next year, so maybe for shorter distances and after getting used to this position I can get just a bit lower. Should I get a 56 or a 58? SuperDave, what are your thoughts on this?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
Also trying to choose the right size for an IAx (the IA 14). My first tri bike. Got fitted to a stack of 559 and a reach of 433. Focussed on long distance for next year, so maybe for shorter distances and after getting used to this position I can get just a bit lower. Should I get a 56 or a 58? SuperDave, what are your thoughts on this?

Ha! I thought you were giving your pad stack and reach. I was certain you'd be a 48cm.
On the IAx you have the option of a very low pad position because of the clip-on nature of the aerobars. I'm still struggling to illustrate just how adjustable the front of this bike is. More than 100mm of vertical adjustment is possible from lowest to highest position.

The 58cm frame has less aerodynamic drag over a -20/0/20 sweep and the longer wheelbase aids in a stable, straight-line path.
I would recommend a "slammed" front end on a 58cm over a 56cm with 2cm of extra bar stack, 2cm more pad reach on the extensions with more of your rider weight over the front wheel.

It sounds like your inexperience with triathlon position might also better be served by the 58cm because it will allow for a upright posture as you acclimate to a "textbook" position.

In general on the IA, go as big as you can without going too big as the slight aero hit of the smaller frame cannot offset an upright parachute position if you could have tolerated/adapted to a lower posture.

-SD

Dave Koesel � General Manager 3T US
dave.koesel A 3Tcycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave, will I fit on a 56 IAx with the stock bar & stem? My pad coordinates are 625(including pad)/500(mid pad).
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
But doesnt't the enormous surface area of both the IA frame and disc wheel make you an enormous victim to crosswinds?

No.
The bike's sidewind handling is better than bikes with less side-surface area and lower stall angles.

-Dave

Dave Koesel � General Manager 3T US
dave.koesel A 3Tcycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
larsvanzanten wrote:
Also trying to choose the right size for an IAx (the IA 14). My first tri bike. Got fitted to a stack of 559 and a reach of 433. Focussed on long distance for next year, so maybe for shorter distances and after getting used to this position I can get just a bit lower. Should I get a 56 or a 58? SuperDave, what are your thoughts on this?

Ha! I thought you were giving your pad stack and reach. I was certain you'd be a 48cm.
On the IAx you have the option of a very low pad position because of the clip-on nature of the aerobars. I'm still struggling to illustrate just how adjustable the front of this bike is. More than 100mm of vertical adjustment is possible from lowest to highest position.

The 58cm frame has less aerodynamic drag over a -20/0/20 sweep and the longer wheelbase aids in a stable, straight-line path.
I would recommend a "slammed" front end on a 58cm over a 56cm with 2cm of extra bar stack, 2cm more pad reach on the extensions with more of your rider weight over the front wheel.

It sounds like your inexperience with triathlon position might also better be served by the 58cm because it will allow for a upright posture as you acclimate to a "textbook" position.

In general on the IA, go as big as you can without going too big as the slight aero hit of the smaller frame cannot offset an upright parachute position if you could have tolerated/adapted to a lower posture.

-SD

Brilliant, thanks for your quick reply! So The 58 will still give me enough wiggle room to go even lower in the next years?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to chime in on this (sorry guys if it's a bit late) but the wheel choice is based on the conditions, race director equipment restrictions, sponsorship and course profile. I think at the 70.3 WC there was a lot of people who chose to go the route of less weight due to the large climb that was on course. Also when courses are technical it takes a bit more effort each time to spin a disc wheel up than a lighter one so you may benefit from not using a disc.

In the end I will say the Flo 90 with Disc cover is a good option rather than not having another rear wheel besides the disc. That being said I've yet to encounter a course here in Ontario (Toronto) that is better without a disc cover (which is what I use on my IA). In cross winds you won't notice the rear wheel because you'll be too busy with the sensations of the front end being "nudged" in the direction of the wind. The bike has a feeling of forward encouragement as it acts like a sail "lifting" you up in a way. That's what they claim anyway and I'm yet to average 40km/h on any other bike so I'm inclined to agree. Don't wait for a disc cover or wheel because you have to earn it, just get the equipment you need to optimize your budget and performance evenly.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do retail shops have the IA10 or IA14 yet? I know they are taking pre-orders but can I go look at one at my local Felt dealer or is that still a month or so off?

Trisumai noted they will be receiving theirs Oct 22nd. Is this roughly the earliest we should expect anyone to have one in hand?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Ryf most likely would have won Kona had she had more aero gear on the bike

Difficult to know how much faster Rinny could have run last year but Ryf certainly left some time on the bike. Watch this year's bike leg and compare. She's adopted changes to correct many of the observations people have made since last year.

-SD

Dave Koesel � General Manager 3T US
dave.koesel A 3Tcycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [larsvanzanten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
larsvanzanten wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
larsvanzanten wrote:
Also trying to choose the right size for an IAx (the IA 14). My first tri bike. Got fitted to a stack of 559 and a reach of 433. Focussed on long distance for next year, so maybe for shorter distances and after getting used to this position I can get just a bit lower. Should I get a 56 or a 58? SuperDave, what are your thoughts on this?


Ha! I thought you were giving your pad stack and reach. I was certain you'd be a 48cm.
On the IAx you have the option of a very low pad position because of the clip-on nature of the aerobars. I'm still struggling to illustrate just how adjustable the front of this bike is. More than 100mm of vertical adjustment is possible from lowest to highest position.

The 58cm frame has less aerodynamic drag over a -20/0/20 sweep and the longer wheelbase aids in a stable, straight-line path.
I would recommend a "slammed" front end on a 58cm over a 56cm with 2cm of extra bar stack, 2cm more pad reach on the extensions with more of your rider weight over the front wheel.

It sounds like your inexperience with triathlon position might also better be served by the 58cm because it will allow for a upright posture as you acclimate to a "textbook" position.

In general on the IA, go as big as you can without going too big as the slight aero hit of the smaller frame cannot offset an upright parachute position if you could have tolerated/adapted to a lower posture.

-SD


Brilliant, thanks for your quick reply! So The 58 will still give me enough wiggle room to go even lower in the next years?

That depends on how low you are now. You just gave me frame stack reach, not pad stack reach. There's lots of wiggle room but if you're already on the ground floor, you may not be able to go lower.

-SD

Dave Koesel � General Manager 3T US
dave.koesel A 3Tcycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
its doubly interesting as they were on same/similar frames





-



Yes, it looks like she has cleaned things up a bit....
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Superdave,

What frame size would you recommend in the new IA for these coordinates?

Arm pad reach 490 (back of pad) so probably 510-520 to center of pad
Arm pad stack 596 (top of pad)
Saddle height 779

Thanks,
Gareth
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
larsvanzanten wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
larsvanzanten wrote:
Also trying to choose the right size for an IAx (the IA 14). My first tri bike. Got fitted to a stack of 559 and a reach of 433. Focussed on long distance for next year, so maybe for shorter distances and after getting used to this position I can get just a bit lower. Should I get a 56 or a 58? SuperDave, what are your thoughts on this?


Ha! I thought you were giving your pad stack and reach. I was certain you'd be a 48cm.
On the IAx you have the option of a very low pad position because of the clip-on nature of the aerobars. I'm still struggling to illustrate just how adjustable the front of this bike is. More than 100mm of vertical adjustment is possible from lowest to highest position.

The 58cm frame has less aerodynamic drag over a -20/0/20 sweep and the longer wheelbase aids in a stable, straight-line path.
I would recommend a "slammed" front end on a 58cm over a 56cm with 2cm of extra bar stack, 2cm more pad reach on the extensions with more of your rider weight over the front wheel.

It sounds like your inexperience with triathlon position might also better be served by the 58cm because it will allow for a upright posture as you acclimate to a "textbook" position.

In general on the IA, go as big as you can without going too big as the slight aero hit of the smaller frame cannot offset an upright parachute position if you could have tolerated/adapted to a lower posture.

-SD


Brilliant, thanks for your quick reply! So The 58 will still give me enough wiggle room to go even lower in the next years?


That depends on how low you are now. You just gave me frame stack reach, not pad stack reach. There's lots of wiggle room but if you're already on the ground floor, you may not be able to go lower.

-SD

Woops, sorry. Completely new to this whole bike fit world and its terms :-)

My arm pad stack (BB vertical to top of arm pad) is 677. Arm pad reach (BB horiz to back of pad) is 430.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [keqwow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keqwow wrote:
dsmallwood wrote:
its doubly interesting as they were on same/similar frames





-



Yes, it looks like she has cleaned things up a bit....



whoa! much better. the top picture looks like a pro on a training ride.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Do retail shops have the IA10 or IA14 yet? I know they are taking pre-orders but can I go look at one at my local Felt dealer or is that still a month or so off?

Trisumai noted they will be receiving theirs Oct 22nd. Is this roughly the earliest we should expect anyone to have one in hand?

IA 10/14 have not arrived in the US, yet. Mid Oct is the current ETA to our CA warehouse.

___________________________________
feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Wil@Felt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was also the estimate from my Felt dealer when I placed my order for an IA10, mid October.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Wil@Felt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may still be under wraps but has there been any news on the color scheme of the IA16 ?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [gerardm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, this bike was leaked and is listed by some of our global distributors already.

-SD

Dave Koesel � General Manager 3T US
dave.koesel A 3Tcycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picture is not showing

I can give you 25% off Roka Sunglasses! Message me for details! Currently 4 codes left and going fast!
Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the... suspense... is... ki

x(
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [gerardm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read matte black - silver - fluo red. Hope it looks a bit like the new IA2 which has a great combo
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see listings on some international vendors but I haven't found ant photos of an IA16 yet. Not that it really matters since I've already placed my order for an IA10. I can't wait to finally have a real tri bike!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Gjadams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gjadams wrote:
Superdave,

What frame size would you recommend in the new IA for these coordinates?

Arm pad reach 490 (back of pad) so probably 510-520 to center of pad
Arm pad stack 596 (top of pad)
Saddle height 779

Thanks,
Gareth

Gareth,
You'll be on a 54cm with 20mm risers and depending on the rotation of the base bar (horizontal or angled up) perhaps 0mm, +5mm or 10mm spacer under the 20mm threaded riser.
-SD

Dave Koesel � General Manager 3T US
dave.koesel A 3Tcycling.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next