Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity
Quote | Reply
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ar-connectivity.html

I'm surprised nobody has posted a thread about this.

I have a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier which has been borderline transformative for me. When I go on runs or go to the gym it's my phone, music, and wallet (all of which get left at home). I'd imagine that Apple will polish that experience significantly. Assuming that Apple progresses the fitness side (or a 3rd party like Wahoo does it for them), I could see this being a viable substitute for your Garmin.

A lot of people will probably poo poo the idea of running with anything but some cash in your pocket and a key under the doormat but I always have to have a phone on me for work. Also (though I haven't tried it yet) I could see it being handy at the end of races when you're trying to find your loved ones (I can't imagine the "no cell phone" rule will be enforced here).
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never an apple product

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is the path to simple, realtime race tracking. Plus, as an athlete, you can potentially see where you are (what race position) in the race. Just bring up the 'leaders' menu on the new IM tracker, and you'll know that you're only 2 minutes behind 74th place in your age group.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was initially really fired up about this. Since becoming a dad, I have gotten used to taking my phone everywhere with me and I really love the idea of a basic device for calls and texts.

My only hesitation is that I have gotten so used to bringing the phone - I mean I buy running shorts based on which has the best phone pocket - that 2.5 years later, I may not appreciate it as much.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been waiting for this feature from Apple. Unfortunately, it took them so long to incorporate it that I no longer feel the need for it. I've gotten used to having my phone on me during a run.

If they go on sale for under $325 around Christmas I may bite the bullet...or Apple, I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wait for battery life tests w/ GPS and LTE on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ar-connectivity.html

I'm surprised nobody has posted a thread about this.

I have a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier which has been borderline transformative for me. When I go on runs or go to the gym it's my phone, music, and wallet (all of which get left at home). I'd imagine that Apple will polish that experience significantly. Assuming that Apple progresses the fitness side (or a 3rd party like Wahoo does it for them), I could see this being a viable substitute for your Garmin.

A lot of people will probably poo poo the idea of running with anything but some cash in your pocket and a key under the doormat but I always have to have a phone on me for work. Also (though I haven't tried it yet) I could see it being handy at the end of races when you're trying to find your loved ones (I can't imagine the "no cell phone" rule will be enforced here).

Too bad you can't take any selfies with it :-(:::::
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin is somewhat pricing themselves out of the market with the Fenix 5. I own one. I use it religiously. Never off my wrist but I would like something a little more refined like the Apple Watch for non-sport related stuff. I am bought into the Apple ecosystem so it just makes sense for me. Some people hate Apple. To each their own but this platform is a game changer. I am a data nerd but respect simplicity for collecting that data. There has to be a single app that works for swim/bike/run and up to Ironman distance training/triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen a few early numbers posted from some prerelease tests. Gps + LTE (not talking, just data) = 4 hours. Talk time on LTE really burns through battery, down to about an hour. I'll see if I can find the links I read all this at.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Never an apple product

I guess you miss-read the thread title? It is about apple products.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
18 hours w/o GPS..
5 hours w/ GPS
GPS + LTE = Better Run faster than ever before to finish before the watch battery finishes.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri0014 wrote:
Garmin is somewhat pricing themselves out of the market with the Fenix 5. I own one. I use it religiously. Never off my wrist but I would like something a little more refined like the Apple Watch for non-sport related stuff. I am bought into the Apple ecosystem so it just makes sense for me. Some people hate Apple. To each their own but this platform is a game changer. I am a data nerd but respect simplicity for collecting that data. There has to be a single app that works for swim/bike/run and up to Ironman distance training/triathlon.

Not only is the F5 being priced out of the water, the lower end stuff like the newly announced Vivoactive 3 (i like it tho) has it's priced up'ed 2x IIRC from the initial version.. it's now at USD299 for the VA3 a bump of USD50 from the VA HR (version 2)

Garmin still wins currently for the fitness crowd but looks like apple is slowly (but surely) gaining ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I could see this being a viable substitute for your Garmin.

Yes and no.

I'm an Apple guy through and through. I've owned one or more Apple products continuously since about 1987, including through the early and mid-90's when it wasn't cool. However, the Apple Watch is not something I have any interest in.

The AW is an awesome smart watch that kinda does fitness ok. We are not the target audience. Unless and until it's got significantly better battery watch both in regular mode and in GPS mode, I think it's a non-starter for folks like us. Don't get me wrong. For people like my wife who runs 3-4 times per week for 3-5 miles, walks the dog and does stuff like boot camp, it's perfect for them. She loves hers. But, for people like me, it just doesn't work. I'll take my 935 over an AW any day of the week - or maybe two weeks, i.e. the 935's battery life in watch mode. I prefer a top shelf fitness watch that sort of does basic smart watch ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the obvious question is:

"Where does the Gear S3 fall short in terms of being a replacement for your Garmin"

I'd never even heard of it, but I just had a quick browse on the internet and it seems to fulfil the exact same niche as the Apple Watch. Say you're going for a run, what apps can you run on there to track it? How about swimming? What kind of battery life are you getting out of it?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
I could see this being a viable substitute for your Garmin.

Yes and no.

I'm an Apple guy through and through. I've owned one or more Apple products continuously since about 1987, including through the early and mid-90's when it wasn't cool. However, the Apple Watch is not something I have any interest in.

The AW is an awesome smart watch that kinda does fitness ok. We are not the target audience. Unless and until it's got significantly better battery watch both in regular mode and in GPS mode, I think it's a non-starter for folks like us. Don't get me wrong. For people like my wife who runs 3-4 times per week for 3-5 miles, walks the dog and does stuff like boot camp, it's perfect for them. She loves hers. But, for people like me, it just doesn't work. I'll take my 935 over an AW any day of the week - or maybe two weeks, i.e. the 935's battery life in watch mode. I prefer a top shelf fitness watch that sort of does basic smart watch ok.

On seekingalpha (investor website), they are talking about $11B revenue from this watch at $350 Average Selling Price (ASP). That sounds like over 30M units that they plan to sell, so to get to that number, they are not targeting the 30M tri geeks and extreme endurance people that don't exist (maybe there are 1-2M of us across sports).

Personally I really can't see the utility of cellular connectivity when I run. My runs are short enough that I am back home/office before any major emergency can get out of hand and I have my phone with me in my jersey for bike rides in case I need to call. I actually turn it to airplane mode so that no one can reach me anyway. I can't see GPS+LTE battery life being long enough for any meaningful ride, so you're turning off the LTE and having it on airplane mode anyway, which is back to what I am doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big apple fan and have everything Apple except their watch. I like it and thought about getting the 2 but that battery life is horrendous. What I like about my Fenix is that I don't have to charge it that often. Maybe once a week.
Also, I've heard numourious reports about their GPS and how spotty it is and sometimes it just stops tracking mid runs.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you carry the phone with you and which shorts have phone pockets?

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:

Not them, but I use a spibelt to cart my phone. It's a 7 plus with a case so not small. You can't even feel it. Several times I've forgotten it's on there when changing after a run and dropped it.

As for the watch, there's also a charge by your cell provider to add it to your plan. I've heard it's $10 for att and Verizon in the us. Not sure about other carriers/counties. Seems too high to me.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
myjunk wrote:
Tri0014 wrote:

Not only is the F5 being priced out of the water, the lower end stuff like the newly announced Vivoactive 3 (i like it tho) has it's priced up'ed 2x IIRC from the initial version.. it's now at USD299 for the VA3 a bump of USD50 from the VA HR (version 2)

Garmin still wins currently for the fitness crowd but looks like apple is slowly (but surely) gaining ground.

This is off-topic but does anyone know what the technical difference is between lower-end Garmins like the Vivoactive and the high-end multisport watches that allows them to track open water swimming when the Vivoactive can't? Is it simply a better, more sensitive/accurate GPS receiver?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does look interesting, however as a non iPhone user it is a big expense to get into the apple ecosystem! I wonder if FaceID will work recognising my contorted features after a hard workout...
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is money, as in you didn't pay enough to Garmin for them to enable that feature.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:

This question has me changing my tune and wanting the new watch. I have a iPhone 6 (the smaller one) and I have found the best way to run with it is in the "hip" zipper pocket of several models of Lululemon running shorts. They seem to be just the right size to fit the phone and keep bouncing to a minimum.

I would love to have a giant phone as I commute an hour each way to work on the train and would love the extra space on the screen. But I want to be connected all the time in case of an emergency at home.

Having the watch could mean I can get a giant phone and not have to take it with me everywhere. Almost all of my runs are at lunch during the week and sometimes I do need to be reachable.

Heading out for a run with just a watch with Strava and streaming music/being able to take a call with AirPods seems pretty ideal.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to the day when the watch can stand alone as a cellular device, and the phone just becomes one of an array of accessories that gets its data from the "brain". Chipsets, batteries, and efficiency have a long ways to go, but I could see it being feasible some day. I would rather divorce the "brain" from the UI-- make it minimal, small, and unobtrusively wearable, and allow the user to pick the appropriate UI for the activity. One data device, one monthly fee-- many form factors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Apple Watch 2 and love it. I'm hardly without my phone though so the LTE isn't groundbreaking. When you factor in the $10 a month added data fee, it's not for me right now. I'm guessing they drop that to $5 a month at some point to make it more appealing. I'd also like to see them (Apple and the carriers) do some type of integration so that you can only use data on one device and then you not have to pay an extra service fee - if your phone is in range of your watch then the watch using the phone's data, and if the watch is out of range of the phone then the watch uses it's own data, and the carrier assumes the data usage from the phone is going to be minimal when the watch is separated since the only data will be from background app refreshes and syncs. They might not have the technical ability to do this yet though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Heading out for a run with just a watch with Strava and streaming music/being able to take a call with AirPods seems pretty ideal.

This is my use case as well (though I'll likely opt for local storage for music to keep LTE usage low and thus hopefully prolong battery life a bit)
Quote Reply

Prev Next