Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:
Heading out for a run with just a watch with Strava and streaming music/being able to take a call with AirPods seems pretty ideal.

This is my use case as well (though I'll likely opt for local storage for music to keep LTE usage low and thus hopefully prolong battery life a bit)

How far are you running??!! I'll probably still bring my phone on longer rides.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long runs for me are ~100 minutes. I don't stream music on my phone either fwiw.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this phone can't stream music and run GPS for 2+ hours, it has no business being in the space!

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
I'm looking forward to the day when the watch can stand alone as a cellular device, and the phone just becomes one of an array of accessories that gets its data from the "brain". Chipsets, batteries, and efficiency have a long ways to go, but I could see it being feasible some day. I would rather divorce the "brain" from the UI-- make it minimal, small, and unobtrusively wearable, and allow the user to pick the appropriate UI for the activity. One data device, one monthly fee-- many form factors.

So let me understand what you want. Basically a brain that can clip to a belt (ex fuelbelt for sport, regular belt with a suit), or stay in a pocket or purse or maybe just somewhere in the room within line of sight , but that brain has no screen....just CPU, memory and networking. Separately, you can have a user interface that is just a screen (could be laptop/notebook or tablet size, phablet, phone or watch size). Brain unit communicates with whatever you have in your hand and recognizes which physical visual interface it is communicating with based on a code that the visual interface pushes to the brain and then brain pushes the apps/programs etc in a format appropriate to the interface?

On a plus side, it makes the UI side very lightweight and battery life friendly (potentially). On the down side, you need both or the UI/Screen unit is useless. I actually was hoping for something like that for laptop 15 years ago. Just let me eject the CPU-Memory-Networking-Storage in a tiny module and throw into my pocket for the commute home and then when I get home I can just dock it in my display/keyboard shell at home. No need to carry around all these bulky display units.

Once we get into augmented reality, I think this is the path to go. Brain unit plus glasses that render the 3D user interface experience.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
How do you carry the phone with you and which shorts have phone pockets?

I have two walkman waist mounted belts. One I put on with my walkman. The other I put on with my phone running strava. Pretty simple.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev: several companies have tried to bring that idea to market unsuccessfully. I've been a fan of that concept for probably as long as you. For whatever reason the manufacturers always brought these concepts to market with seriously underpowered components. It wasn't a thermal issue (I built my own cascade systems as a kid ;) I suspect it was a power supply issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys I don't mean to be the Silicon Valley douchebag in the room, but have you heard of "the cloud" ?

Your $1200 iPhone is he brain. You get calls/texts on the phone, watch, iPad, MacBook, etc.

Your work is in Salesforce/workday/Box/gmail/O365/JIRA/hubspot/etc.

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
95% of our business is in the cloud but then you have a program like Revit which doesn't do well at all in a virtualized instance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the future. But a 4 hr battery life with GPS? Yeah no. That's not going to work. Maybe in a year or three.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
This is off-topic but does anyone know what the technical difference is between lower-end Garmins like the Vivoactive and the high-end multisport watches that allows them to track open water swimming when the Vivoactive can't? Is it simply a better, more sensitive/accurate GPS receiver?

One would be right in terms of money.
poorer CPU
Lesser storage
none of those FirstBeat / VO2 max etc (which again - I thinkit's just firmware....) which you're getting on the VA3
Open Water Swimming algorithm and I guess this also needs a speedy CPU to get the lock on the GPS signals at every arm stroke?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
This is the future. But a 4 hr battery life with GPS? Yeah no. That's not going to work. Maybe in a year or three.

it's 4 hr w/ GPS + LTE, 5 for w/ GPS only.

but you're right.. for the tri-athlete, doesn't work, but for the majority of runners and such, I think it fills that niche VERY nicely. (just have a spare charger powerbank in the car for the post run coffee place
Quote Reply
Re: The New Apple Watch Series 3 With Cellular Connectivity [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try this about battery life - https://www.macrumors.com/...ries-3-battery-life/

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next