Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Monthly Grocery Bill of The Pro (Elite) Triathlete [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 Buck Chuck
Quote Reply
Re: The Monthly Grocery Bill of The Pro (Elite) Triathlete [dubd71771] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"6 craps in one day in not unusual for ML"

If 7400 calories a day were average for me, 6 craps would not be unusual either.........

I need to adjust my original estimate:

Food: $800
Ass-Wipe: $100
Total: $900

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Last edited by: Mojozenmaster: Apr 22, 11 17:59
Quote Reply
Re: The Monthly Grocery Bill of The Pro (Elite) Triathlete [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word.

I feed myself on about $45 per week and rarely eat out (with the exception of "Taco Tuesday" at Del Taco: 3 tacos for .99. If payday were on a Tuesday I would splurge and buy 9 Tacos. But payday is Friday and on Friday those same 9 taco's would cost $4:41)

Eggs, cheese. rice, beans, tortillas, bread, canned tomatoes, potatoes, pop-tarts, canned salmon, canned tuna, more potatoes, ice cream, diet Shasta and a lot of whatever cheap protein happens to be on sale.

My point with this thread is that for "The very best stuff available" it will cost at least $800 per month for one elite endurance athlete. Can it be done for less? Of course it can. I know the grocery industry better than most people. Which means I know about sourcing, markups, sales, inventory and turns etc etc.

I guess I wonder about the difference between "Whole Foods Markets" 'Organic' shit and the same stuff the rest of us buy and is there something quantifiable that validates the purest food sources to the very best athletic performances? Further, I think if you do not believe food manufacturers are trying to influence your purchasing patterns with such claims, you are probably on crack.

Put it to you this way: a very well known cereal manufacturer is running commercials with this:

"Can a bowl of cereal change your life?"

"Yes it can"

The inference is that a bowl of cereal can cure attention deficit disorder because it is "Gluten Free"

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: The Monthly Grocery Bill of The Pro (Elite) Triathlete [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife and I both are vegan and eat all organic fruits, veggies, beans, oats etc and our grocery bill with two boys is $140 a week. A mix of Trader Joes and WF

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: The Monthly Grocery Bill of The Pro (Elite) Triathlete [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll agree that 'best food available' is subjective at best.

I have the good luck to live in Southern California, so I've got farmer's market options year round, which to me is the 'very best food'.

I'm far from elite, but I can feed myself of WAY less than 800 per month.

If I really do menu planning, buy seasonal stuff and minimize waste, I can probably get it down below 200 per month for one person.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Monthly Grocery Bill of The Pro (Elite) Triathlete [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's friggin' nuts. My wife and I (both triathletes) eat like kings (granted we are kings with coupons) and, including our two boys, our grocery bill averages $1000/month. You just have to know how to shop, how to clip, and how to avoid eating packaged foods as much as possible, which tend to be spendier.

Ben Greenfield

Ben Greenfield

Nutrition & Human Performance Advice
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next