Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Good Old Days
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed reading Jeff Hendersons most recent column. I am not sure if the type of race he is talking about still exists. Forces both good and bad, have made races conform to a certain standard.

Jeff is likly too young to remember, but the type of race that he envisioned, was what we got 15 - 20 years ago. The transition area was a patch of grass where everyone laid their bikes right on the ground. The swim was out and back to some distant buoy, that you could barely see( of unknown distance away). The bike was always an adventure with many an un-marshalled and/or unmarked intersection. You always breathed a sigh of releif when you saw the transition area again because you knew you had gone the right way(or maybe not!!)The run headed out "That-a-way" and came back "This-a-way", again, of some unkown distance - " About 10K", They would say.( The bike leg was often the only close to accurate distance because that could be measured with a car odometer).

I recall more than a few instances of being completely lost on race courses, sometimes while leading the race, on the bike or the run and kind of making the course up to get back to transition or the finish line. Isn't this what it is like in adventure racing? Once I actually got into an argument with a cop and the lead vehicle whilst leading a race as to the course. In the end none of us were right!! Ahhh. The good old days.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Good Old Days [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the good old days. I've doing this (triathlons) 20 years. You can see a chronicle of my (mis)adventures here
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/history.shtml
If you ask me, the good old days kind of sucked.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That reminds of when my lugged steel 12 sp Miele with downtube shifters was considered state of the art. Yes, those were the good old days.
Quote Reply
Re: The Good Old Days [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They sucked. I'm older and faster now with a better bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Good Old Days [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also older and faster now. In fact I didn't even do tris back then, being a late starter to the sport. No doubt the technology factor is much better now, but I'm allowed to nostalgic for the 80's. That was one decade that I really enjoyed....
Quote Reply
Re: The Good Old Days [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy, I think you are a good guy...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah you must have missed my post on the Big Al races---they are like that now, no road closures, no intersection closures, out and back runs, no internet pre reg---just show up with $30 and you get your t shirt, a decent race, finisher medals to everyone and free cookies at the end.

Man i love those cookies.

And the guy is funny, he cracks me up.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving a 20+ year old post about 'the good old days'.... which now itself seems like it was posted in the 'good old days'

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: The Good Old Days [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My body, after training, tells me those were the good ol’ days LOL

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is one from the vault with two ST'ers walking the walk before they came here to talk the talk.
(That year,a few months earlier and on the other side of the world, I had done my first tri)

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Jul 19, 23 22:48
Quote Reply
Re: The Good Old Days [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting this, wonderful to see and hear again. speaking of the good ole days any clips of the Diamond Triathlon in Nassau Bahamas anybody? I was there and will never forget that swim!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone Remember the night before carb load dinner at a local restaurant that was included in your race fee?

Anyone Remember a local motorcycle club would roam the course marking down athletes numbers which were drafting? If the same number came up twice they were DQed for drafting
Quote Reply
Re: The Good Old Days [Guff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reviving a 20+ year old post about 'the good old days'.... which now itself seems like it was posted in the 'good old days'

Thanks - funny reading this all these years later.

I'm grateful that I did get to be part of and live through that first generation of triathlon racing in the 1980's up until the mid 1990's. It all seemed so simple back then as I laid out in that post. We really had no idea what we were doing - with the training or the racing! We just did it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Here is one from the vault with two ST'ers walking the walk before they came here to talk the talk.
(That year,a few months earlier and on the other side of the world, I had done my first tri)

the cuban flash ;-)

get monty to tell you about the play-by-play announcer. that guy could make you feel like every second of the race was of supreme consequence. basically, triathlon announced supercross style.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 20, 23 7:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that announcer was actually a motocross announcer, and it was dam exciting to hear him talk about 1 second lead changes, and back..

That race was I believe the week after Kona for me too, back when we thought you could do an ironman and just pitch up and race again the next week. Wish I was a bit more rested, as the battle between Mike and Emilio was pretty epic, and my strength back in those days was running downhill..

And my favorite line of all time was in that broadcast, towards the end when the announcer says "Emilio is on Durkin like an Hari Chrisna on an airport traveller!!"

Pure gold Gerry, pure gold I tell ya...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Thanks - funny reading this all these years later.

I'm grateful that I did get to be part of and live through that first generation of triathlon racing in the 1980's up until the mid 1990's. It all seemed so simple back then as I laid out in that post. We really had no idea what we were doing - with the training or the racing! We just did it!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply