Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page
Quote | Reply
Pretty compelling data and setup. Used TriRig front brake, etc., standard disc equipment, and no obvious holes in the experiment design other than it's not an "independent" test. Cannondale, as indicated by previous statements, pretty clearly *wants* disc brakes to work on aero bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
other than it's not an "independent" test. Cannondale, as indicated by previous statements, pretty clearly *wants* disc brakes to work on aero bikes.

That's the rub.

So even if it turns out the disc brakes are aero neutral to rim brakes in an independent test, is that reason enough to upgrade wheels and frames?

Not for me.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:
other than it's not an "independent" test. Cannondale, as indicated by previous statements, pretty clearly *wants* disc brakes to work on aero bikes.

That's the rub.

So even if it turns out the disc brakes are aero neutral to rim brakes in an independent test, is that reason enough to upgrade wheels and frames?

Not for me.

It might be for me. This past weekend I ended up in the middle of an intersection because I forgot to swap out the pads on my TriRig-front/under-BB rear brakes. Had my carbon-surface pads in with aluminum training wheels. And I learned that it really matters. Just one of lots of little annoyances with my TT brakes. Yes, that's partially my fault for having two different rim brake surfaces.

And I tried out the Cervelo P5x and the brakes are a *dream*.

So I'll consider disc brakes if other tests corroborate this. Specialized has indicated similar results. (And let's face it, the Venge ViAS proprietary rim brakes have all kinds of problems). And the TriRig Omega, while a nice product, doesn't hold a candle to a Dura-Ace 9000 rim brake. Just doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
and no obvious holes in the experiment design other than it's not an "independent" test.

Quote:
All runs were conducted with a bicycle only. The same wheelset was used in both configurations; however, rotors were removed for the rim brake test.

Some will see this as a pretty big "hole"....that is not an "optimized" wheelset for the rim brake variation (i.e. non-radial lacing on the front wheel, less aero hub for attaching the rotor, etc).

You can argue the "right" way to test stuff until the cows come home...optimized set-up for each vs. keeping all variables to a minimum. Don't think there is a "right" answer personally....i can see merits on both sides.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do, get some rotor shims to put the rotor in same spot on both your training and race wheels. Otherwise you have to realign your brakes when you swap wheels, far bigger PITA than swapping rim brake pads.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else notice the lack of cables? Seems like that may be important
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
If you do, get some rotor shims to put the rotor in same spot on both your training and race wheels. Otherwise you have to realign your brakes when you swap wheels, far bigger PITA than swapping rim brake pads.

If I buy, say, HED Ardenne/Jet disc wheels at the same time (or the equivalent Zipp/Enve, etc) , shouldn't the alignment on those be the same?

Also you've never changed the rear pads on my Felt DA. I have yet to do it without profanity. :)
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhepp wrote:

Hmm...yeah, if they skipped cabling for convenience, they should have mention that. However I would speculate that the hydraulic lines for the disc brakes could be made aero neutral on a frame designed for discs.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty standard when doing a lot of tunnel testing. I guess it would have been better to have two identical bikes in there all cabled up. Seems like these were prototypes and time and money adds up very quickly. With the level of integration in today's bike I'm guessing it would be pretty much a wash.

I do agree with a post above that called out the wheels. Disc brake wheels generally have to be over built from the hub to the rim to counter brake torque. I think where we'll see improvements is with rim shapes not being dependent on brake tracks. All that being said I'm not a fan of having disc brakes on TT bikes.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"if they skipped cabling for convenience, they should have mention that."

they did. in an image caption i did not include. i suppose i should find someplace to make that note.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rim brakes were tested with no cables; the disc brakes were tested with cables.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Oct 17, 16 13:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always wanting more, now I would like to see aero data on different approaches to the disc design itself. Multi-spoke, curved spoke, star designs, tri-spoke, solid, bigger surface areas with less cooling holes, etc.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Pretty standard when doing a lot of tunnel testing. I guess it would have been better to have two identical bikes in there all cabled up. Seems like these were prototypes and time and money adds up very quickly. With the level of integration in today's bike I'm guessing it would be pretty much a wash.

I do agree with a post above that called out the wheels. Disc brake wheels generally have to be over built from the hub to the rim to counter brake torque. I think where we'll see improvements is with rim shapes not being dependent on brake tracks. All that being said I'm not a fan of having disc brakes on TT bikes.

Smaller head tubes and forks too.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" The results show that disc brakes do not necessarily result in an increase in drag."

Cool.. seems more like a 'if you buy them you're not sacrificing much... maybe.. under some conditions... that don't really apply to you...'

I understand the value of a disc brake, I really do. I have them on my commuter and mountain bikes and can name more than a couple of times its kept me from being under a bus or in a tree. That said, in the years (decades) of riding a road bike and/ triathlon bikes I can think of only one time when I would have liked a disc brake, one. I for one will not be rushing out and making the switch. Will I eventually (in years) be riding a bike with disc brakes? Sure.

Assuming for a moment that disc brakes are aerodynamically neutral to a rim brake and understanding that bicycle manufactures want to sell whole bikes I'd like to see manufactures offer an option for people to update their front end with a disc brake, or sell new bikes with a split brake system. I feel that this both offers manufactures something to 'sell', kit for people to geek out over, an advanced braking system and saves people from buying a completely new bikes/wheelset(s).

I'm sure its wishful thinking, but seems like a reasonable 'solution' to this 'problem'.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, I'm curious as to why manufacturers of bike frames and wheels have just figured out now that Disc are faster? Its puzzling that they have spent so much time and money in the wind tunnels for years that they just now figured out that Disc are faster. Can you share your thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Rex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

That's the rub.

So even if it turns out the disc brakes are aero neutral to rim brakes in an independent test, is that reason enough to upgrade wheels anNot for you maybe, but there will always be people who are new to the sport who *may* well prefer the added stopping power that disc brakes give over rim brakes.

Similarly, people like me who will be looking to upgrade within the next 18months *may* also like the same. Especially if as it seems with this test that there is little to no aero difference.

Ex-cyclist wrote:

Why aren't you a fan? I'm genuinely interested?

I get the whole 'need new race wheels' argument. But if the overall result is a bike that is no slower but you get better stopping power what's not to like?
Last edited by: BayDad: Oct 17, 16 13:33
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we're at the 'discs may not be slower' stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what I found interesting:

IOW, the TriRig brake plus Shimano direct-mount brake under the bottom bracket added 0.0021, 0.0026, and 0.0026 m^2 of effective frontal area at +/- 5, +/-10, and +/- 10 deg of yaw, respectively.

By comparison, here's what I found in my wind tunnel tests for the TriRig brake alone: 0.0014, 0.0011, and 0.0014 m^2 of effective frontal area at +/- 5, +/-10, and +/- 10 deg of yaw, respectively.

Given the differing test conditions, these results seem to match up rather well.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm curious as to why manufacturers of bike frames and wheels have just figured out now that Disc are faster?"

i'll take my best crack at it. there were a number of problems leading up to this:

1. no hydraulic pursuit levers and we still have this problem, except it's easier now with eTAP because you don't need an integrated shift/brake pursuit lever for hydraulic brakes.

2. flat mount made it much more likely you could create a reasonably aero disk brake caliper.

3. a lot of people just assumed discs were slower.

4. nobody wanted to be first.

but i ALWAYS thought they were viable! and said so. here. but then again i'm just an ignorant slut!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Damon,

Allthough you were not the author of the article thank you for posting. Since i always read the 'aerodynamics issues' discussions with some feelings that some maybe even most people are overreacting. More in the sense that for example in this case on a given course with drag throughout the bike leg in neg and pos yaw how much actual time will be gained or lost on an ironman bike leg. I know, each course will have different circumstances but i just wonder how much time difference we are talking about between rim versus disc brakes if we should take both cdale bike set ups from the main article on let's say the Kona bike leg?

Regards,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mhepp wrote:

Hmm...yeah, if they skipped cabling for convenience, they should have mention that. However I would speculate that the hydraulic lines for the disc brakes could be made aero neutral on a frame designed for discs.

Check out the front cable routing on a Focus Mares CX. Cable goes through the fork. I imagine almost as aero as a rim brake.
Quote Reply
Re: The Cannondale Disc Brake Article on the Main Page [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many times and on which courses have TT's or bike leg of a triathlon been lost by someone who hasn't had the braking they needed from rim brakes?

I can imagine a course or a situation but those seem to be outliers, so help me find the significant market need that discs on TT/Tri bikes is addressing.

We seem to be splitting hairs in an already small market segment.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to Dan's points, I'll mention:
  • The Culprit data which showed that, on one bike at least, discs *did* actually have higher drag.
  • The Specialized test, where the bike with discs had Di2, but the bike with rim brakes had mechanical shifting. And they only reported two yaw angles.
  • Initial (internal) wind tunnel tests, which suggested discs were a wash, weren't convincing. Why? Could have used different wheels, different fork, etc. In those days (years ago) no good aero forks even cleared a disc rotor, so even a mock up wasn't easy. Also low spoke count disc hubs were rare, so throwing together representative disc brake wheels also wasn't easy.
  • Repeating these tests with better parts and accumulating more and more mounting evidence finally convinced us.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
How many times and on which courses have TT's or bike leg of a triathlon been lost by someone who hasn't had the braking they needed from rim brakes?

I can imagine a course or a situation but those seem to be outliers, so help me find the significant market need that discs on TT/Tri bikes is addressing.

We seem to be splitting hairs in an already small market segment.

It's not about braking ability on TT bikes (maybe a little, but...), it's about removing the frame/fork/wheel design limitations caused by rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

And I tried out the Cervelo P5x and the brakes are a *dream*.

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had my *dream * experience on a new Specialized road bike that was too big, but I felt it and knew I wanted it! Too bad they're not available yet for 650 wheels yet, but I'm working on it ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next