Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers)
Quote | Reply
The final time is BQ -2:28.

The highest cut-off time ever.

And, yes, I'm in.

http://www.baa.org/...ier-acceptances.aspx
Last edited by: craigj532: Sep 30, 15 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yikes. I missed my BQ by 30 seconds this year. Part of me thought "if I had just pushed a little more at the end I may have made it."

Nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. This will be my first. I plan to spend tons of money at the expo. Ok maybe Ill just get a shirt.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triscooteremu wrote:
Ditto. This will be my first. I plan to spend tons of money at the expo. Ok maybe Ill just get a shirt.

Just buying the shirt is for losers.
- Mike Rossi
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Yikes. I missed my BQ by 30 seconds this year. Part of me thought "if I had just pushed a little more at the end I may have made it."

Nope.

You should have pulled a Rossi.
Quote Reply
Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Nope.

You should have pulled a Rossi.

The prize doesn't mean much if the journey wasn't there. Besides, doesn't count if its not on Strava :)

I'll get it next try. Injuries set me back for a good part of the spring and I'm aging up next year.
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 30, 15 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife ran it this year (2015)..
She applied for 2016 with a qualifying time of 1:30 under. She didn't make the cut this time :(

She's kind of bummed, but she had a great year so far and running Chicago in a few weeks.

Congrats all of you, enjoy!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • 4,744 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
  • 7,495 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
  • 6,849 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 05 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.

• it wouldn't surprise me to see the the qual times get adjusted (again), based off those numbers...
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Not familiar with the process for qualifying for Boston - can someone explain briefly how all this works?
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    To qualify you need to run a standard marathon time depending on your age and gender. That allows you to apply to enter the race. For a few years more people have entered the race than there were slots. Therefore the race started to open registration giving priority to people who beat their required standard time by the longest time, in increments of > 20', > 10' and > 5'. People who beat their standard by less than 2:28 were left out of the 2016 race.

Qualification standards: http://www.baa.org/...fying-standards.aspx
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Weakling.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Trirunner wrote:
    To qualify you need to run a standard marathon time depending on your age and gender. That allows you to apply to enter the race. For a few years more people have entered the race than there were slots. Therefore the race started to open registration giving priority to people who beat their required standard time by the longest time, in increments of > 20', > 10' and > 5'. People who beat their standard by less than 2:28 were left out of the 2016 race.

Qualification standards: http://www.baa.org/...fying-standards.aspx

I see, so for example in 2016, if your qualifying time was 3:30:00, then the guy who ran 3:27:30 got in, but the guy who did 3:27:34 got left out?
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Exactly.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    That's correct
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [d00d] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I think the -2:28 number is the reason they should tighten the standards. 4,500+ runners that thought they had qualified for Boston when they crossed the finish line were just shut out of the race. Another 5 minutes across the board would at least eliminate the angst (for at least a year or so).
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    They seem to like 5 minute increments. Would you suggest they lower it by 5 mins and run with a smaller field (or possibly do a late acceptance) or just lower it by 2 minutes and eliminate less people?

Just curious how people think it could be better. It honestly seems pretty efficient to me. You just have to realize you are only qualifying to register, you are not guaranteed to run.
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Oh yeah, I think it's totally fair - and they get the fastest runners (with respect to age and gender). That seems to be their aim.

My suggestion would be to lower by 5 min (and maybe clean up what some would see as discrepancies in the AGs) and keep the race open through the fall until it sells out. Certainly not suggesting they run with a smaller field.

Up until a few years ago, the race wouldn't fill until Jan-Feb before the race. If they were to tighten the standards, the race would probably sell out sometime around Chicago / NYC.

I know the RD has stated that he didn't like the fact that there is no longer the "I qualified" moment when crossing the finish line. For the less-than-five-minute group it's been a lot of uncertainty and false security.

I think this year caught a lot of people off-guard. The cut grew by almost a minute and a half. The general thought seems to have been that anything over 2 minutes was safe (I thought it would be zero). Well, now we know that was totally wrong.

Last time a sell-out caught everyone off-guard, they adjusted the times. It took a while, but the 2010 8-hour sellout for the 2011 race is what led to the current standards. Here's a good related article: http://www.boston.com/...80B9EmzQP/story.html

FWIW I'll be going back for my 7th (safely in the -20 group).
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Valid points... I admittedly didn't start paying attention until the thought of running a marathon entered my consciousness in 2010. So I laid out my 2011 plans and then they lowered the qualifying time from 3:15:59 to 3:10 for my AG, I figured I was hosed, luckily my first marathon went well and I ran in 2013. The time needed to run *under* the qualifying time does seem to be getting larger each year. Perhaps with the gap being so large and the number of people who felt they got shafted (although I don't agree), they will make the decision to lower the qualification times again. That way people who don't qualify may be disappointed but don't feel wronged.

Will be running next year also, hoping to enjoy the after party for a bit longer than I was able to in 2013.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Holy schnikes that's fast! I think remember back when 2:30 would get you to the Olympic trials.
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    It's not a 2 hour & 28 min cut-off time. It's bettering your AG BQ by 2 minutes and 28 seconds.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Might as well go for broke again and try to break 3 to get in
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I'd really like to see an analysis of all the BQ-20 and BQ-10 folks that breaks down AG and gender. My wag is that we will see that men 18-34 are underrepresented. For example, how many men (18-34) ran 2:44:59 compared to women 45-49 that ran 3:34:59 for faster?
    Quote Reply
    Re: The Boston cut-off time is in (spoilers) [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    If you look at the finishing times from previous years, I think it's clear that the younger men's AGs are underrepresented in overall numbers (despite dominating the front of the results book). Arguments have been made that those men who run sub-2:45 will spend less time and money in the City than other demographic groups.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    congrats - why do women have so much more time than men in the same age group?
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    I am safely in with a -14:38 (or something very close to that)..

I would like to see the BQ time be a guarantee that you are in. They could keep registration open for the best of the non qual times through the fall. I think crossing the line under a certain time and being able to celebrate a true BQ is a big deal. I would hate to be in limbo for 8 months after "qualifying".

Perhaps an A standard and B standard would set proper expectations with runners.

I would also like to see BAA re-evaluate the "Boston qualifying courses". There are more and more downhill races every year that are set up just to get people their BQ times. I realize that Boston itself is downhill, but there are some races (Wineglass in upper New York, St George, ext) that are really padding the stats with huge drops.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply

Prev Next