Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
woah, that was excellent sleuthing indeed! but what impresses me about this is her reaction to getting caught. I don't think I've ever seen such a reaction from any cheater:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? Please tell me why?

I have to stop reading these. It's getting under my skin.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is sad is if she had finished legit she could have posted a respectable time she could have been proud of. Now she is a pariah.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
Why? Please tell me why?

I have to stop reading these. It's getting under my skin.

No way. These are like tabloid articles. I love them.
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
What is sad is if she had finished legit she could have posted a respectable time she could have been proud of. Now she is a pariah.

This is more speculation, but if the additional sleuthing to her motive was true...that she needed a 1:24 to make the "performance team" of her running club, then the cheating was premeditated. A 1:24 equates to a 6:24 overall pace. She did the first 10k at 7:16 per mile (according to the first timing mat), and according to her final Garmin data on her watch, she finished at a 6:58 pace for 11.6 miles.

This would lead me to believe that she was never trying to run a 6:24 pace from the start...that she knew she could afford to cruise the first 10k at 7:16, cut the course, then run hard the last 5 or so miles she had left, roughly at around 6:35 pace to get to her final overall pace of 6:58 for 11.6 miles.

Now if she ran the first 10k at 6:28 pace, then decided to cut the course because she knew she wasn't going to be able to maintain that pace or make her goal time, decided to cut the course with significant slow down on the remaining miles...then you could make the argument that "if she had finished legit she could have posted a respectable time..."

But to me...given the possible motive, and the fact that she ran the last 5+ miles faster than her first 10k, leads me to believe that this was premeditated cheating...not that she got tired, or was having a bad day.
Last edited by: Jason N: Feb 21, 17 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
For some reason I really like this one. Maybe because it was simply busted by a high-res pic of her Garmin at the finish. Very sad.

http://www.marathoninvestigation.com/...er-claiming-2nd.html[/quote]

buys photos to get high-res of Garmin...clever!

Just keep pedaling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silly girl, at least she had no issues about admitting it.....strange.

Question: In the link and additional posts, why is her 'distance' measured in kms but her pace measured in miles? Is it just a the way the article is written or is it normal to measure like this for marathon runners?
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [CutMeLoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CutMeLoose wrote:

buys photos to get high-res of Garmin...clever!

That dude is hardcore. Kudos to him.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:
Silly girl, at least she had no issues about admitting it.....strange.

Question: In the link and additional posts, why is her 'distance' measured in kms but her pace measured in miles? Is it just a the way the article is written or is it normal to measure like this for marathon runners?

I mean she was totally busted, and then re-busted on the strava file that she biked later on in the day. At the point, I would just lay down as well and give up.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

I know! Why only cut 1mile, might as well run the entire course or cut out 6/7 miles. She's obviously a half decent runner.
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Her running group, The Dashing Whippets have expelled her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Yes. Exactly. A pariah. Why?
Don't these people read about other cheaters getting caught?

Even if they don't have a moral compass, one would think that the embarrassment of any possibility of getting caught would quell the urge.
But I do love that the investigator purchased her race photos to confirm the deed. Great work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Her running group, The Dashing Whippets have expelled her.

They should expel themselves for the name of their running group!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like reading an adventure of Sherlock Holmes :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also interesting is the picture of a male runner with her race number at the 2016 NYRRC Half Marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what you are trying to say. Would the cheating have been more acceptable if she was having a bad day?. I had a bad day at my one and only ironman where I bonked right in T2 and spent 45 min recovering. Character is what you do when you are having a bad day. Looking at her garmin she ran 11.65 miles in 1:22. Had she ran another 1.5 miles at 7 min per mile that is about a 1:33 half marathon. That is nothing to sneeze at. It is a great time. I don't know if her cheating was premeditated or not. Frankly I don't care. I just think it is sad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
len wrote:

I know! Why only cut 1mile, might as well run the entire course or cut out 6/7 miles. She's obviously a half decent runner.

I ran this race, and the course at that point has the "back" runners cutting through the lane cones of the "out" runners, so it would be very easy to flip around. In fact I found this very disconcerting during the race. The location of this crossover was when you transition from Galt Ocean Dr. back to the A1A.
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
zedzded wrote:
len wrote:

I ran this race, and the course at that point has the "back" runners cutting through the lane cones of the "out" runners, so it would be very easy to flip around. In fact I found this very disconcerting during the race. The location of this crossover was when you transition from Galt Ocean Dr. back to the A1A.

I ran this race many years ago, I think 2010 or 2009. I actually was leading this puppy and they messed up the turnaround or little lolly section. Ended up running something like 13.75 miles. I believe it was a police officer's fault separating the half from the full.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:

Looking at her garmin she ran 11.65 miles in 1:22. Had she ran another 1.5 miles at 7 min per mile that is about a 1:33 half marathon. That is nothing to sneeze at. It is a great time. I don't know if her cheating was premeditated or not. Frankly I don't care. I just think it is sad.

Did you read the whole article? She needed a 1:24 to make her elite team. Apparently, she got travel and such for this race. The bike riding the course later at running pace to replace her Strava takes it to new level, though stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My reply had nothing to do with justifying types of cheating in different circumstances.

Just that I don't believe she ever had plans of running the whole race for a respectable time. 1:33ish being fast or impressive is relative. So I don't think it makes it any more sad that she could have run that time if she wanted to. I think it's more sad because it was premeditated to earn recognition from her running club by cheating.

I don't expect you to care if it was premeditated or not. Just sharing my thoughts.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If those people ever realize that you can edit a gpx-file, these kinds of investigations will get even more interesting.
Unless devices start to add signatures to the files...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely the heel strike picture gave the game away.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: The Best Marathon Investigation Story Yet [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When they line for a race they can say, "Whippet Good". When they finish they can say Whipped It Good. Unless of course they step on a crack.

Quote Reply

Prev Next