Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
I think it would be amazing if Premier came in from nowhere and not only undercut the price of all of the other bikes (they did already) but also beat them aerodynamically as well. Personally I think it's the best looking of the bunch as well.

And yet most people still will not buy it.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I have to concede round 1...

Tom A. wrote:
"Grams of drag" is not only a misuse of units (drag is measured in force, not mass), but it requires additional information (such as test air speed and air density)...and then most consumers of the data will STILL need to "translate" it into some other meaningful unit or speed for context. Yes, Kiley said "at 30 mph", but many times I've seen that key info not be related upon repetition/other distribution, plus it adds to the confusion of "but I don't ride that fast", etc.

stevej wrote:
So the rule of thumb is valid if you are riding at 30 mph. How does one get that rule of thumb converted to say 24 or 25 mph?
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you planning on having the report "peer-reviewed" in some sort of way before publishing it? This would add credibility by having someone (or people) outside of the scope of the test scrutinize it before publication.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello kilejay and All,

You pays your money and takes your chances ..... (apologies Mark Twain)

Selections 1 and 2 look very much like a typical P-5 plot ..... A Gambrel roof shape ...

"Gambrel roofs are an elegant, Old World design harkening back to Colonial times and older. The roof design allows for more living space and head room within a compact space. The framing doesn’t have the glaring flaws of other styles but there are air sealing and insulation considerations." [empahsis added]

Sounds like (and looks like) a Cervélo to me ......

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Jun 9, 17 14:33
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [eisforurgent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eisforurgent wrote:
I'm saying that I hope that the measurement uncertainty around each data point is included. Otherwise, we can't make statements around statistical differences/significance from just visualizations of the point-estimate data from each bike.

Who's doing the statistical analysis? I'm sure they'll take this into account, pretty stats-101 stuff

The more sophisticated analytics are done by a guy who goes as cyclenutnz on the forums. He runs a company called velogicfit.com that makes software to help bike fitters. After the Best Bike Split modeling down by Ryan Cooper, I don't know that there is anyone in the world who has done more time-course modeling for cycling...maybe there is, but I haven't ever seen their stuff. Anyways, cyclenutnz has done all the time-course modeling to convert the CdA data into time savings/gain on a given course, for a given rider with x/y/z characteristics, on a particular day, on a given bike...wow, that's a lot of parameters. No wonder this stuff is hard for people to conceptualize.

To answer your question more directly, yeah cyclenutnz calc'd the 95% CI levels using the baseline vs. control for both bike only and rider-on tests.

In addition, I've put together some 'first day of stats-101', more 'back of the envelope'-like ways of assessing the variability which serve no purpose other than to make this report accessible to a broader range of people.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [aeroyoost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aeroyoost wrote:
Are you planning on having the report "peer-reviewed" in some sort of way before publishing it? This would add credibility by having someone (or people) outside of the scope of the test scrutinize it before publication.

Absolutely. There will be more than one heavy hitter with analytic cycling chops reviewing it prior to publication.

But that is for the purpose of making it better...more accurate or more refined or better written or with fewer errors. I don't really think that needs to be an advertising point because I think and hope that the report will speak for itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your title for this threw made me spew my beer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the general purposes of what you're trying to accomplish and getting info out to the general public, nah your data doesn't really need to be peer reviewed or noted as such. Essentially if you're simply testing bikes to see which is fastest for you under your set conditions, the results will be what it is.

But for "insiders" or frankly anyone who care for the protocols, result validation, process validation; peer reviewed data is the only acceptable data regardless of the acccomplishments/background/expertise of the testers and or said completed data regardless of how expansive the data report turns out to be.

Long post to say it would be of greater value to adversite that your data has been reviewed then to hang your hat on how great a report you think it is. ETA: and it can be a great report, I would just assume to acknowledge that this data has been reviewed would be of great value with an test and the "results"/discussion that is absolutely to follow.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jun 8, 17 19:53
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
For the general purposes of what your trying to accomplish and getting info out to the general public, nah your data doesn't really need to be peer reviewed or noted as such. Essentially if you're simply testing bikes to see which is fastest for you under your set conditions, the results will be what it is.

But for "insiders" or frankly anyone who care for the protocols, result validation, process validation; peer reviewed data is the only acceptable data regardless of the acccomplishments/background/expertise of the testers and or said completed data regardless of how expansive the data report turns out to be.

Long post to say it would be of greater value to adversite that your data has been reviewed then to hang your hat on how great a report you think it is.

Look, I'm having several people go through it. At this time I don't feel comfortable saying who. None of them have 'signed up' to be totally behind this study or how we executed it (some weren't there)...I just asked a few smart, experienced people to read it and help and offer any thoughts on how to make it better. We didn't know there was some standard you had to meet or some level of peer social proof you had to display for your testing to be legitimate.

So help me out...what's the standard? How does this study earn legitimacy in the eyes of people who 'care about protocols' if the ability and experience and expertise of the people involved is not enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the update!
This more exciting than the original moon landing! - I haven't slept or showered in anticipation of the results!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's great your getting all the data reviewed by knowledgeable people. Promote that much more then the completeness of your report. That improves the credibility of the study.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll also guess 60 grams of drag between #1 and #6 at zero yaw and close to 100 grams at 15(?) degrees of yaw (I never read the original thread so I don't know the protocol).
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many seconds does that save me in an imperial metric 2/3 half Ironman?

Wine.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to guess just by the colors chosen that 6 is the Felt (white for the baseline) and the Cervelo's are dark and light blue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
We didn't know there was some standard you had to meet or some level of peer social proof you had to display for your testing to be legitimate.

I think what Tom and others are saying is that your study borders on a "scientific experiment." Which I, being an engineer myself, would agree with. But that's great! I think that's where your heart lay in the first place; trying to standardize a testing environment, removing as many variables as possible etc. etc. This is essentially what any kind of scientific experiment (on the physics/engineering/aerodynamics side anyway) tries to do.

I think you have inadvertently arrived at this standard you refer to and if you so wish, could complete the "process" and call it an official "peer-reviewed scientific study" and even publish it in "aerodynamics weekly" (or whatever journal willing to publish it).

kileyay wrote:
So help me out...what's the standard? How does this study earn legitimacy in the eyes of people who 'care about protocols' if the ability and experience and expertise of the people involved is not enough?

In the "scientific community" of which you could now call yourself a member of, legitimacy is brought about by transparent reporting of your experiment, and asking appropriate "peers" to review your work prior to publishing. Sometimes when you submit your "paper" to a scientific journal, they will have a board/pool of reviewers and get a number of them to review it. Have you found any similar published articles online? Who reviewed those?

I'm my opinion you have no obligation to undergo any of the above process. I think you've been extremely forthcoming with your intentions at the outset, transparent throughout your testing process and steadfast in sticking to your guns regarding the likely audience of this report and it's level of detail.

However, as an engineer I will always say "YAY Science!!" or as Jessie in Breaking Bad said, "Science BITCH!"
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this talk about protocol, etc...

While this MOP'er won't be basing any purchase decisions on the results - 1 minute here or there doesn't matter to me in a 70.3 or Ironman - I'm willing to bet the results will be more accurate than any testing ever published by Bikeradar or any other tri-related magazine. Looking forward to the results (and yes, I donated a small amount). :)

I also agree that 99% of the folks outside of this thread that see the results, will just want to see a basic graph showing the differences. Nothing more complicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think whatever unit of measurement you used on the graph, if that could then be stated as "= x seconds over 40km" then people (in the main) will be very satisfied.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your work on this.

Everyone seems to want to pick this test and you apart about how they would have done it different/better etc. but i haven't seen anyone else step up to the challenge.

So thanks (even if you are an @** sometimes)

Also, I'm betting on the Premier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the manufacturers know the results yet or do they have to wait like the rest of us?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are those real results, or the cover of the Dark Side of the Moon album?

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yrebetta wrote:
It's the red bike. The red bike is always fastest.

Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
All this talk about protocol, etc...

While this MOP'er won't be basing any purchase decisions on the results - 1 minute here or there doesn't matter to me in a 70.3 or Ironman - I'm willing to bet the results will be more accurate than any testing ever published by Bikeradar or any other tri-related magazine. Looking forward to the results (and yes, I donated a small amount). :)

I also agree that 99% of the folks outside of this thread that see the results, will just want to see a basic graph showing the differences. Nothing more complicated.
I agree with this. I'm in the market for a new bike and if I'd be looking at the charts, I'd want to know which one is the fastest, and do I like the price and how it looks and then go from there. As to how much faster it truly is will depend on too many other factors to get an accurate number.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also with Tom on this one. It should be published the same as anyone else in the industry would. Have another chart for the people who don't care about that kind of stuff.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I'm also with Tom on this one. It should be published the same as anyone else in the industry would. Have another chart for the people who don't care about that kind of stuff.

So just like Cervelo and Trek. Which is what Kiley plans to do.

Did you even read the thread?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout: The Results are Imminent ... in 14.06 Days [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
BryanD wrote:

So just like Cervelo and Trek. Which is what Kiley plans to do.

Did you even read the thread?

I read some of it last night. Next time I'll be sure to get the cliff notes from you.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next