Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was just suggesting we might run a poll to see which bike everyone thinks will "win". and then see how smart all us smart-asses are.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do you think of what i have up there now?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"a GOOD TT/Tri position is very repeatable/"hold-able", especially as compared to road positions. With a good TT/Tri position, you should be basically "locked in""

you're right. i agree. that's why i've always relied more on motion capture body angles in tri fits than i have with the more fungible road positions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventum is up next

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good poll. At the end of the day, I think the differences will be marginal - then its fit range and cost for most athletes. I'm hoping this just eases the voice in the back of my head telling me I need a new bike.....please shut up now!
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really hoping for a good showing from the Felt.

BeIng on a P3 classic, a good result for the old tech in this shootout will go a long way in helping me putt off any thought of upgrading.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Halfcrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i added an addendum: not counting margin of error. my vote is 6-10w, but i think my vote would be 0-5w if the margin of error was applied.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging by the videos on FB, it seems like the Andean cadence was much lower than the others. He could have been spinning up to power before the test. Was cadence (and power for that matter) standardized across the runs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Who knew the thru axle threads were different between Andean and P5-X?"

me? but i take your point.

i'm getting an exploro, and as i recall this bike is 15mm front thru axle and 12mm rear. which is kinda weird. i commenced a thread some weeks back on thru axle adapters so that i could use various wheels on various bikes. it's a real bitch, that's for sure!

What with boost etc thru axles van be a bit of a mine field!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what do you think of what i have up there now?

great way of phrasing it, since i think that really gets to the core of what we are (or at least what I am) most interested in!

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Ventum is up next

I asked this on instagram....why doesn't the ventum have that big ass straw sticking out of the built in hydration? Seems like that should be required if the other bikes have bta bottles on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job pulling all this together!!

P5x appears to be moving around more during the test than others. Could this be because of the thru axle issue?

Also I agree about lower cadence on Andean. What's target cadence? Do you have a head unit to monitor?

kileyay wrote:
LAI wrote:
kileyay wrote:
0.22 about. No other numbers will be disclosed now

I didn't even think we'd get that. Thanks for sharing.

Keep in mind this exercise is in no way to optimize aero and CdA. Decisions were made to standardize variables across equipment. I am actually a bit higher on the stack here because we couldn't get the P5 as low as I wanted, so we brought everything else up slightly. Kit might also be slow but it has less potential for wrinkling than sleeved.

Stay tuned. Results looks very very consistent at zero yaw. I am holding still like my race depends on it.

If you haven't already, please share the social media or throw in a few bucks. We have already hit some impossible to predict snags in equipment that have robbed us of time. Who knew the thru axle threads were different between Andean and P5-X? I mean really, guys?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 0 yaw:

1: ventum
2: P5
3: Andean
4: P5x
5: B2
6: tactical (space between down tube and front wheel...)

Spread 8 watts

At 10 degrees

1: ventum
2: Andean
3: P5x
4: P5
5: B2
6: tactical

Spread 15 watts

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 18, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lower cadence is from me taking video as the fans were turning on.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thx

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

BryanD can't hang with all the excitement. Someone needed a nap!

#naptime

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Apr 18, 17 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want the Felt to win so badly that it hurts.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [davetallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I am hoping that a good older style frame that is optimized will be close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long are you expecting it takes to publish the results of the test?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the TRS interview he said 4-6 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure you guys are the first ones to have your hands on the premier bike, What were your thoughts on the bike itself other than the tunnel results? Quality, look, feel, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Going with order of testing (1st bikes test faster) even though I don't believe in reality it would be accurate....
Keeping a good position during all that can be a bitch...and that's an understatement.

Only if you have a crappy position. If there's one thing I've learned from field testing (and being in a wind tunnel) is that a GOOD TT/Tri position is very repeatable/"hold-able", especially as compared to road positions. With a good TT/Tri position, you should be basically "locked in"...if you're not, it's not a good position.

Well said. This is the essence of my fit and my fit business

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to thank everyone that participated in the testing today and in the days/weeks leading up to the test. A2 did a great job, Kiely worked hard getting all the bikes lined up and then held a great position for hours on end. Really nice work.

With a combination of owners, operators, independent protocol, Herbert (slowtwitch) and some dedicated individuals overseeing the testing ..... it was very well done.

There were very small differences based mainly on design- but every metric that could be equalized was. Most within 1-2mm.

Great spending two days with Jimmy from Ventum.... I learned a lot from him.

The bikes are all great bikes. We have great data with notes and comments for evaluation. I'm really proud to have been included and look forward to a clean clear white paper outing the results.

For everyone that contributed .... money well spent.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Pubes just get Slowtwitch to pay for him to find his fastest optimized set up?

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not really - a lot of things are controlled for consistency (i.e. fit), whereas optimizing his fit would have meant picking one bike and then tinkering with adjustments to equipment and fit.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply

Prev Next