Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Says the guy who tried to store a flat kit in his chest in a wind tunnel.....Let me know how that giant bulge in your suit works out when trying to get clean data

Stay on point bro. This is about race day setups, and this is yours.

No wonder you like the P5-X so much. You're the target customer.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awww you found my bike!!!!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now since you want to post things from my private Instagram account, let me just explain why I have my setup.

The P2 is OLD. I have no where to store a flat kit which is why I bought the Aero Pouch. You can't fit a flat kit under the saddle with that old seatpost. I'm also bigger than you and need more calories so I carry 2 bottles. I carry food in a bento. So mock my bike all you want but it works for me. And if you want to question my results, I won the 25-29 Age Group at B2B and Ironman 70.3 NC in 2015 and 2016. But it's fun to just start posting things right?

Shall I go dig through our private conversations with stuff you said and show the world?

Your attempt at trying to humiliate me has failed. Hrmm...maybe I should start critiquing your wind tunnel protocol.....

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Apr 21, 17 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry I posted a picture of your bicycle. I didn't know that was so personal and private for you. If you want me to delete it, I will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And jurors like you are why lawsuits never (ok, verrrrry rarely) get to a jury
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 21, 17 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Let me know how that giant bulge in your suit works out

ummm... tee hee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definitely coming from outside this little debate--no clue why his bike was shown. And maybe my aero knowledge is just horrible, but why is this P2 setup so bad? Hydration is BTA and BTS, bento tucked up against stem, no bottles on frame, TR brakes, computer between hands, fast wheelset, cables decently hidden from wind, optimized chain.

Netted him a top-3 bike split in his category. Seems pretty sweet to me!

But here I am running a 2010 Cannondale Slice with almost the same setup, albeit much less clean cable management, heavier wheels, and non-aero brakes. Photo of bike with me on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
There is actually a way to prove or disprove, and I've attempted it to counter Cervelo -- and, it turns out, Cervelo is pretty much right and I am pretty much wrong. Goes like this

1) Go into the results for last year's Kona.
2) Pull the bib numbers of the Umeke winners. Try for an obsessive compulsive age bracket like M30-34 or M40-44. It doesn't matter really.
3) Go to Finisherpix. Type in Bib Number. Scroll to side profile shot in the lava fields.
4) Review hydration and nutrition and storage setups.

The reality is this. Even the best age groupers in the world are carrying bottles on the down tube in a hot 140.6. Even the best age groupers in the world commit aero sins. In general, their setups are far cleaner than the MOP'r at your average MDot race. They don't have gels strapped on the top tube. But they aren't necessarily all out aero, as I was in the tunnel.

Do I agree with how Cervelo designed the bike? No, not really, not for me. But I understand why they did now that I've done some of my own research.

beautiful, thank you.. both the research and admission..
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a consensus on extrapolating results for small frames, with or without rider, to same larger frame with/without rider?

I have to imagine that not all frames scale the same from an aero perspective or even in a linear fashion and rider anatomy may have different interface relative to frame?

Thanks for the work, look forward to seeing the results.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike shootout TEST DAY THREAD [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My prediction is the results will be inconclusive. Try the damnedest to make them conclusive though.

Frames make little difference, that is already been established imo. Size of frame will be even more marginal.

I don't understand the hyper-sensitivity to milli-watts when how the bike rides and other human factors have much more of influence on outcome. e.g. pedaling, handling, steering, mechanical design, etc.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike shootout TEST DAY THREAD [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Frames make little difference, that is already been established imo. Size of frame will be even more marginal.

Has it? The P5 white paper seems to say otherwise. And the P5-X is faster still.

You may be right, but I don't know if it has been established independently. The Premier Tactical is supposedly 15 watts faster than the Felt IA per the ERO testing. Is that milliwatts? I could give more examples.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on what you've just said, the P5X is a bike for people with lots of disposable income and little sense.

That's what everyone else has been saying, as well.

We could have been spared from wasting all of this time and all of these words!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For those of us who know how to put together a bike like this, assuming it's fast or at least not slow, there's not much reason to buy these higher end bikes from an aero perspective.

This.+1

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I couldn't even remove my rear wheel from horizontal dropouts without getting chain grease all over my hands three years ago.

Please share how to do this. i'll be damned if I can figure it out. I also fear snapping off my fingers in the process.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a good looking setup and a sweet pic. Another CPA FTW.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Based on what you've just said, the P5X is a bike for people with lots of disposable income and little sense.

That's what everyone else has been saying, as well.

We could have been spared from wasting all of this time and all of these words!

I think he said it's (or any super bike in the 10k plus range) for those that have the funds, and they typically are MOPers. That makes complete sense. Regarding the P5x bike specifically, it is indeed aero, and as Kiley stated above, after reviewing KQ athletes race pics, many FOPers have cleaner set ups, but still often carry 3 bottles, etc. The bike might not be affordable for many, but it appears to be designed well for how people actually race, irrespective of ability.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Apr 21, 17 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One rebuttal here.

A) That was a Felt IA10 with good brakes, but not a particularly good aerobar setup.
B) It saved 10.7 watts during the test, but that did not account for differences in drivetrain efficiency.

You put a Felt IA1 on there will fully hidden brakes and nice (although not perfect bars) with an optimized chain, and it's a different race.

All in the details :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's what I said. People with disposable income and no sense.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:
Yes, that's what I said. People with disposable income and no sense.

Typical response from someone who can't afford it.
Do you drive a used dodge neon? Why not? It can get you from point A to point B.
For some people, the price of a P5X is a drop in the bucket.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chilybil23 wrote:
I just wanted to throw it out there that I love this project, it's like a jab in the eye to all the so called research these companies feed us and expect everyone to blindly believe. Extra kudos to the manufacturers who showed up and put their best foot forward, that takes balls IMO.

Can you explain this further?

It's not a "jab in the eye" to anyone. It's not "Showing the man".
They haven't tested a significant range of product.
This really isn't anything to speak of.

I'm not even sure what the conclusions can possibly be.
The one thing they cannot be is extrapolated to the rest of the bike industry.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha.

Okay.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike shootout TEST DAY THREAD [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

Has it? The P5 white paper seems to say otherwise. And the P5-X is faster still.

You may be right, but I don't know if it has been established independently. The Premier Tactical is supposedly 15 watts faster than the Felt IA per the ERO testing. Is that milliwatts? I could give more examples.

Just looking at real-world conditions across the years, you can win on nearly anything. If the test speeds are lowered to say 40 kph the differences will start to fade. Having said that I think the front splitter design and what happens at the feet is significant.

The front splitter is more of an accessory, and the crank is mechanical dimension/pedals - inward and lower stack. The P5X does provide a fairing/splitter for the feet it would interesting to actually ride the bike and feel if that makes a difference.

Sorry - this may have been talked about already did you guys test with rider only at 50 kph??

Bike only vs bike only will certainly see differences. But here a less aerodynamic bike could be better with a rider aboard as it is designed (or should be designed) to blow air around the rider's body parts.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike Shootout TEST DAY THREAD [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
They haven't tested a significant range of product.
This really isn't anything to speak of.

I'm not even sure what the conclusions can possibly be.

Solidly ignorant stuff, Robert.
Quote Reply
Re: The Aero Bike shootout TEST DAY THREAD [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Sorry - this may have been talked about already did you guys test with rider only at 50 kph??

Bike only vs bike only will certainly see differences. But here a less aerodynamic bike could be better with a rider aboard as it is designed (or should be designed) to blow air around the rider's body parts.

We tested both at 30mph, so, yeah basically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
..., Dan has made the statement that Cervelo released the P5-X with the largest amount of data ever. That may be true for industry insiders -- we know they did a lot of testing, and I have spoken with at least three folks from three different firms who have seen the data. Dan has seen this data, of course. But it's just not true for customers -- you have not seen it. I have not seen it. That's okay, though! Maybe they have their reasons for this and chief among them might be because explaining this stuff to consumers is very hard. These tests are complex; they have sources of error; and all protocols will come under scrutiny by a keen eye. That's a business decision for Cervelo, but I don't think the way Cervelo has released this bike and explained its aerodynamic benefit to consumers has been 'transparent' compared to the way I will explain this testing, release raw data, and interact with/answer questions about the testing. If Dan and I still disagree on this point, which it seems we do, fine. I'm not going to get all snarky about it anymore because that's just not productive either. I have a White Paper to write and there's no use continuing to talk past each other or get heated and let this thing devolve into a super stan ban slam.
I think you should release all data now, just de-indentify the bikes.
It can't hurt to have several minds looking into this, no?
Best case, you'll get the analysis protocol peer-agreed before you release the 'white paper' ... (hate that expression, write a report dammit).
Quote Reply

Prev Next