Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale
Quote | Reply
it's finally come to this.... will the grasshopper become the sensei? Will old school methods trump new? Who will have the lowest watts/speed ratio on the 30km bike leg?

We can finally have an answer to these age-old questions now that DD has finally been transitioned full time into his retirement community in NC.

I predict carnage.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
it's finally come to this.... will the grasshopper become the sensei? Will old school methods trump new? Who will have the lowest watts/speed ratio on the 30km bike leg?
We can finally have an answer to these age-old questions now that DD has finally been transitioned full time into his retirement community in NC. I predict carnage.

I predict DD will beat you out of the water (OOW) by at least a minute and then you'll never catch him on the B/R, i.e. DD wins by 15-30 sec. Is he in the 40-44 AG also??? Will you two be in the top three masters???

Completely unrelated but does a guy named Greg Sanchez still race??? He swam for UNC and was always 1st OOW when I used to race over there.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeing as how neither of us are swimming right now, and that DD is a natural swimmer and I'm not, he will definitely beat me out of the water. It will be a race after that.

Don't know a Greg Sanchez, but last year there was one guy who swam 9min flat while the next bunch were at 10:30 or so, for 750m. Stout.

ericmulk wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
We can finally have an answer to these age-old questions now that DD has finally been transitioned full time into his retirement community in NC. I predict carnage.

I predict DD will beat you out of the water (OOW) by at least a minute and then you'll never catch him on the B/R, i.e. DD wins by 15-30 sec. Is he in the 40-44 AG also??? Will you two be in the top three masters???

Completely unrelated but does a guy named Greg Sanchez still race??? He swam for UNC and was always 1st OOW when I used to race over there.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
seeing as how neither of us are swimming right now, and that DD is a natural swimmer and I'm not, he will definitely beat me out of the water. It will be a race after that.
Don't know a Greg Sanchez, but last year there was one guy who swam 9min flat while the next bunch were at 10:30 or so, for 750m. Stout.

Sanchez would be in his mid-50s now, so you might notice if one of the top swimmers is that age. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, hold on.

I'm grocery shopping having a few beers while doing so (yes the grocery store has draft beer next to the deli counter!!!!!) and you're posting smack?

Sigh....my afternoon grocery trips will have to end at 2 pints instead of 3. Boo

Wait am I 1-0 lifetime vs you or is it 1-1? Bc if it's 1-0 why ruin a perfect record? haha

IDK I'm on the older, fatter and slower plan these days. You & Daniella crushed me riding last week, probably won't even be close.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
......trump.....

Lets make America great again!

ETA: I may have to sign up just to see this in person!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Jun 28, 16 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg is still around and still swims faster than almost all triathletes around here. last I saw him he was at masters in the lanes reserved for college ex college swimmers and holding his own.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, 40-44 is not old. Last time I checked, Cam Brown and Crowie are still winning races overall.
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, what? You're caving after my opening salvo? All I did was put scouts out...

I think we are both on the old and fat plan. I'm currently not running or swimming right now so the bike advantage is a wash.

Did we race IMAZ together? In that case I *guess* you are tied 1-1 on me, but technically we were doing different races at IMAZ... I pulled the plug to save the legs for other professional races.... Have to protect the livelihood ;). Can't remember who did what at Oceanside that one time

desert dude wrote:
Wait, hold on.

I'm grocery shopping having a few beers while doing so (yes the grocery store has draft beer next to the deli counter!!!!!) and you're posting smack?

Sigh....my afternoon grocery trips will have to end at 2 pints instead of 3. Boo

Wait am I 1-0 lifetime vs you or is it 1-1? Bc if it's 1-0 why ruin a perfect record? haha

IDK I'm on the older, fatter and slower plan these days. You & Daniella crushed me riding last week, probably won't even be close.

Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is true, as long as you are training. As neither Brian nor I are training, we can play up the "old" card

devashish_paul wrote:
Just to be clear, 40-44 is not old. Last time I checked, Cam Brown and Crowie are still winning races overall.

Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Are you over 40? I'd be happy to insult you and belittle you on the Internet if so.

japarker24 wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
......trump.....

Lets make America great again!

ETA: I may have to sign up just to see this in person!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The participant list isn't what it used to be for that race...

Mark Carey FTMW. (for the masters win). is my prediction.

Also "some guy" who swam 9 flat last year is Matt Patton, one of the better distance freestylers the US has ever produced...FYI.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Jun 28, 16 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm I wonder if that is the same Mark Carey I used to race a long time ago?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I do believe so.
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good. Another old man to whoop up on

japarker24 wrote:
Yes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Wait what? Aren't you the one who used to say to athletes that they could 'eat as 'much as they wanted as long as it fit on a tea cup saucer' or some such gibberish?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool you have a nice gaggle of masters 40+ racers at local racers. I wish we had that type of setup. We don't have as many and the ones we do have get more creative year after year to stay competitive.
Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Aren't you the one who used to say to athletes that they could 'eat as 'much as they wanted as long as it fit on a tea cup saucer' or some such gibberish?

Why yes, yes I did. I underestimated, severely underestimated my weakness for delicious craft beer. It's the #1 reason I just moved to NC, which happens to be The Craft Beer capital of everything west of at least the CA/AZ state line.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 28, 16 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Greg is still around and still swims faster than almost all triathletes around here. last I saw him he was at masters in the lanes reserved for college ex college swimmers and holding his own.

Ah good, thanks for that info. IIRC, he went around 16:00 for the 1650 when he swam at UNC, and he was always first OOW at every race, usually by a minute or more. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
This is true, as long as you are training. As neither Brian nor I are training, we can play up the "old" card

devashish_paul wrote:

40 = "old"? pshah!!!
Call me in a decade.

I haven't been training for like 5 years now. Rookies.

ps - GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The 2016 EricM40-44 / DesertDude Triangle Sprint Triathlon Smackdown and Old Man Battle Royale [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just wouldn't be a smack down thread without Murphy's Law :)

Murphy'sLaw wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

devashish_paul wrote:

40 = "old"? pshah!!!
Call me in a decade.

ps - GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to oblige.

DD is fun to race against, and even more fun to knock back a few (or more than a few) with afterwards.

Looking forward to the RR.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
It just wouldn't be a smack down thread without Murphy's Law :)

Murphy'sLaw wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

devashish_paul wrote:

40 = "old"? pshah!!!
Call me in a decade.

ps - GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Consider that your thread has received official ST smackdown categorization with ML chiming in. It's like Tour de France Cols. You might have your local climb, but until it get's bless as Hors Categorie it's not a real climb. I am wondering where ML slots this into the categorization?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, just registered.

Bring your B game, not your A game, maybe even your C game.

I've got to go to Punta Cana for work for 5 days right before this race and won't be biking while I'm there.

Probably going to break my streak of never finishing worse or better than 4th overall at this race in the last decade...sigh...I blame you!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 5, 16 9:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next